PDA

View Full Version : My Grandson and I tested the Lightheart Solo

trailangelbronco
07-05-2010, 16:43
Took my 5 year old Grandson hiking over the weekend about an hour out of Boise on the Crooked River Trail. He is quite the little hiker but those little legs get tired so we took breaks every half hour. Still, he hung tough with his four pound pack and we covered 4 miles per day. Pretty good for a five year old and his Grandpa carrying a 50 lb pack.

We loved the Lightheart Solo. We had room in the tent for both of us with room to spare. It rained like heck on Friday night and we stayed bone dry. Only a little bit of condensation Sat morning, nothing even dripped.

Some pics from the hike HERE (http://s1031.photobucket.com/albums/y371/sincitybronco/Crooked%20River%20Trail%204th%20July%20weekend%202 010/?albumview=slideshow) The pics that I took of the Tent didn't come out well, but will take some next weekend.

Overall, I am thrilled with the Lightheart Solo. Very well constructed and great communication from the owner, Judy. The awesome views, the light weight, the huge amount of space, they all add up to my best hiking tent ever.

My Grandson is now hooked on hiking. I am turning down trips to the Sawtooths and White Cloud Mountains to schedule hikes with him. Hiking with him at his pace forces me to see things thru his eyes that I wouldn't notice at my usual fast pace. It's like I'm a kid again, looking at the wilderness with Awe and Wonder.

Mountain Wildman
07-05-2010, 17:03
That is so awesome, You cannot put a price on experiences like the ones with family, Of all the things I have done in my life, The times with family and good friends remain vivid, While all the rest are just a blur.
I tested out my new tent this weekend as well, A Nemo Meta 2P, Great tent, very roomy which I like, Not one gram of condensation, I will post pics and a review later. I am still considering getting the Lightheart Solo for my Thru-Hike next year. I like all of my gear inside with me, It sounds as though it would fit me and my backpack with no problem.

BSF-Hiker
07-05-2010, 18:11
Yes, that is awesome! And look at that big smile :D on his face in all the photos at the link you posted.

Rocket Jones
07-05-2010, 18:58
Ya did good! Thanks for sharing, those photos are great.

Tinker
07-05-2010, 19:07
That's a great way to raise a young 'un.
My son and I hiked four mountains over 4,000 feet in New Hampshire between his 4th and 5th birthday.
It's a time I will never forget.

gunner76
07-05-2010, 19:14
Reminds me of when we took our daughter hiking and she insisted on carrying a backpack. She was about 4 years old and even with the smallest pack we could find she looked looked like a backpack with legs from the back. Great memories. Daughter just called and I found out I am going to be grandfather so now I can look forward to having a new hiking partner

berkshirebirder
07-06-2010, 09:53
My Grandson is now hooked on hiking...Hiking with him at his pace forces me to see things thru his eyes...It's like I'm a kid again, looking at the wilderness with Awe and Wonder. --bronco

So important to foster a love of the outdoors when children are young...what a wonderful experience for both of you.

Yukon
07-06-2010, 10:33
Wow man, that is such a great experience for the two of you. He looks like he's having a great time as well. I'm hoping to get my five year old son (soon to be six) to love the outdoors like I do as well...

trailangelbronco
07-06-2010, 11:02
Thanks for the great reply's. I'm a lucky Grandpa, for sure!

thelowend
07-08-2010, 22:36
Indoctrinate em young! Im glad you're passing on the past time.. He looks like he couldn't wipe the smile off.. no matter how tired. Wait til he start outhikin you!

Kerosene
07-08-2010, 22:47
So important to foster a love of the outdoors when children are young...Preferably you foster that love when they're young, but it doesn't always stick. I've been talking up my backpacking trips for a decade, but I wasn't able to get my daughter out there until this year as a 20-year old. I was experienced enough to do everything possible to make it enjoyable for her, with low-mileage days, an easy section, a light pack (16% of her body weight), a slow pace and the patience to let her take all the digital photos she wanted to, taking care of all the logistics, and praying for good weather. She had a great time, even though her knees gave her some problems, and she really wants to get out there again next summer when she returns from college. It's never too late.

trailangelbronco
07-08-2010, 23:39
My son is just starting to hike with me. We camped alot when he was younger, and we hunt together every year. He just recently took the interest in hiking and is talking about a thru hike when he graduates college.

Country Roads
07-09-2010, 21:22
Nice, very nice. He looks way happy! Thanks for sharing the pics.

turtle fast
07-09-2010, 21:37
One word....AWSOME! Better than any video game system out there!