Just watched the show...awesome!! :banana

I think you meant Extreme.

TrailSquirrel
07-05-2010, 23:27
I think you meant Extreme.

Didn't like it? If so, why?

Jester2000
07-05-2010, 23:34
I can't say that I didn't like what was broadcast, because it's entirely possible that they changed it between the Kickoff and the broadcast date.

The version of the documentary that was shown at the Kickoff used the word "extreme" at least 40 times, hence my comment.

TrailSquirrel
07-05-2010, 23:38
I can't say that I didn't like what was broadcast, because it's entirely possible that they changed it between the Kickoff and the broadcast date.

The version of the documentary that was shown at the Kickoff used the word "extreme" at least 40 times, hence my comment.

ah .....that could be extremely annoying

rule no 21...limit the use of the word extreme :)

Jester2000
07-05-2010, 23:47
ah .....that could be extremely annoying

rule no 21...limit the use of the word extreme :)

Hahahaha! I didn't see the broadcast version, so I don't know if they made any changes. As with the AT doc, I found the environmental cutaway sections to be kind of shoehorned in and kind of distracting.

I thought the aerial shots were amazing.

And I found the "rule" thing kind of dopey. And although I recognize how hard it is to do, I wish they had given the film some continuity by following at least one hiker the whole way, even if they only returned to that person occasionally.

Overall, I think it was worth watching if only to see the aerial shots. Aside from that, I wasn't that impressed, although I do admit that it probably works well for a general audience (which is what they were going for).

Miner
07-05-2010, 23:50
This was my thought after seeing it at the kickoff. The extreme helicopter shots were extremely awesome and really show off the extreme nature of the most extreme of trails that the PCT is. Or something to that effect. I'm waiting for the DVD to see the broadcast version as I don't have NatGeo channel.

couscous
07-05-2010, 23:54
I'm guessing this isn't the documentary that was shown at the PCT kickoff last year from "http://www.tellitonthemountain.com/"? I ordered a copy three years ago .. still waiting.

Jester2000
07-06-2010, 00:04
I'm guessing this isn't the documentary that was shown at the PCT kickoff last year from "http://www.tellitonthemountain.com/"? I ordered a copy three years ago .. still waiting.

I believe that Squatch's movie "Walked" was shown last year. The year before (in '08) Shooter showed some rough cut footage from Tell It On The Mountain.

The last time I checked, the most recent update on their website said Tell It On The Mountain's projected release date was June '10, but that doesn't seem to have happened (and I know they've changed this date repeatedly).

I think the problems they're having with that movie are:
-- they have about 110 hours of raw footage (which is A LOT)
-- they have full time jobs
-- they allowed people to preorder it

All of this was a very roundabout way of saying: no, it wasn't that documentary.

sbhikes
07-06-2010, 17:40
From what I heard, they reduced the amount of "extremes" in the final documentary.

TrailSquirrel
07-06-2010, 20:14
From what I heard, they reduced the amount of "extremes" in the final documentary.

If so, the worde extreme was used quite often

PUNKINPUSS11
07-06-2010, 22:56
where can u find this video???

TrailSquirrel
07-06-2010, 22:58
where can u find this video???

National Geographic Channel on cable tv

Jester2000
07-07-2010, 02:59

That's extremely disappointing.

DavidNH
07-07-2010, 09:44
I don't get the national geographic channel Is this documentary out on video? would LOVE to see it!

David

Jim Adams
07-07-2010, 10:23
I found it very cool...way more snow that year than when I was there. I liked it...but Monty?...come on.

geek

sbhikes
07-07-2010, 11:45
I haven't seen it yet. What did Monty do?

Big Dawg
07-07-2010, 20:10
just scanned the next week of shows on natgeo, no list for this doc. anyone know the next time it's on?

Miner
07-11-2010, 16:21
I don't get the national geographic channel Is this documentary out on video? would LOVE to see it!
It should be released on DVD sometime in the near future. The documentary they did for the AT was eventually sold as a DVD (in fact the AT one is on sale on NatGeo's website for 15.95+shipping right now).

Luddite
07-11-2010, 16:26
Why don't I get NAT GEO channel??? I want to see the one on the AT too. Anyone know if theres a website you can watch it on?

rasudduth
07-22-2010, 07:28
The PCT DVD is now selling on the Nat Geo website, shipping out on July 30, 2010.

sbhikes
07-22-2010, 10:27
I finally got a chance to see it. Somebody taped it for us. I loved the helicopter shots. Wow! I hiked there??? Amazing! After watching it I dreamed about hiking the PCT again.

RITBlake
01-09-2011, 01:31
Anyone know of a version viewable online?

Sly
01-09-2011, 04:41
I haven't seen it yet. What did Monty do?

I think it's some other Monty.

Anyone know of a version viewable online?

Here's a preview...

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/episode/pacific-crest-trail-4788/Overview#tab-Videos/08348_00

Someone needs to help Denise lighten up!

Egads
01-09-2011, 09:05
Our cable provider doesn't offer Nat Geo. May have to wait for it to be picked up by Netflix like the AT show was

QiWiz
01-09-2011, 23:33
Why don't I get NAT GEO channel??? I want to see the one on the AT too. Anyone know if theres a website you can watch it on?

Netflix has the AT one on Instant View.

RITBlake
01-10-2011, 01:54
Watched it tonight. What's with the girl w/ the hockey stick??

Miner
01-10-2011, 02:13
Well, she was chosen to be in the documentary mainly because of her extreme ways with that hockey stick and her huge pack. I thought the taping of a saw blade to it was an extremely nice touch for use as an Ice Axe in the High Sierra; extremely useless, mind you, but also extremely funny. I was behind her on the trail so I never met met her, but I enjoyed some of the stories about her. We had a number of interesting characters hiking that year; though I suspect that is often the case most years.

RITBlake
01-10-2011, 11:09
Two observations on her:

1. She's obviously desperate for attention.

2. Maybe if she spent a little more time thinking about food and a little less about what useless nic-nacs she could carry she wouldn't have run out of food with 4 days left in the Sierras.

frisbeefreek
01-12-2011, 23:46
I was at Kennedy Meadows when they were filming. For the most part, the NatGeo crew seemed down to earth (it was a 3 person team).

I passed Hockey stick girl on the way to Crabtree Meadows. She wasn't looking too happy about her pack weight, and that "ice axe" looked totally useless, unless you were looking to build bicep strength by lugging an extra pound 5 million steps.