PDA

View Full Version : AT in VT

Landing 28
07-06-2010, 12:36
Looking for recommendations for a 40 mile or so hike in VT that would be reasonably challenging. Planning for July 14 to July 18

Thanks

Jeff
07-06-2010, 12:54
Bennington to Manchester. One of the longer roadless stretches on the AT over Glastenbury. Two great views from firetowers and a very cool pond to beat the July heat currently upon us.

Cookerhiker
07-06-2010, 12:56
It's 40 miles between Rt. 9 outside of Bennington and Rts 11 & 30 outside of Manchester. It's reasonably challenging but not as much so as parts of the Long Trail further north. I would hike it southbound where it starts out fairly easy. SOBO means you work your way up to ascending Stratton Mountain, the highest point on the AT in VT and later Glastonbury. Both summits have fire towers which afford great views.

Now I realize you said "AT" but if you want the best hike in Vermont, hike part of the Long Trail beyond where the AT splits off. One specific recommendation: Lincoln Gap north to Jonesville/US Rt. 2. It's 33 1/2 miles but more challenging than the 40 miles of the AT hike. And it's also gorgeous. You start with a 1,600' ascent up Mt. Abraham where you get your first look at Lake Champlain, you hike along the Lincoln Ridge, plummet down to Appalachian Gap and then hike over a series of steep ridges culminating in Camels Hump - VT's 3rd highest summit and the highest one with no roads, power lines, etc. on top.

If you want to stick to 40 miles, it's 39 from Jonesville to Rt. 15 but that's a very strenuous stretch in which you ascend and descent Mansfield. But you want a challenge!:)

peakbagger
07-06-2010, 13:01
I really liked the stretch from Maine junction over to Hanover. There are a lot less folks on it than the Long Trail and its covers some nice territory. There is a lot of up and down profile.

Ender
07-06-2010, 13:28
I really liked the stretch from Maine junction over to Hanover. There are a lot less folks on it than the Long Trail and its covers some nice territory. There is a lot of up and down profile.

Agreed. And I found this section to be much harder than the LT section of the trail, since instead of hiking along with the mountains, you're hiking against the grain, so to speak.

10-K
07-06-2010, 13:40
US 4 / Killington to VT 11-30 - Manchester Center is about 50 miles and would make a good hike.

I'd hike it SOBO because Manchester Center is such an awesome town. I stayed there 2 days and almost needed counseling I was so sad to leave. :) (Sutton's Place is a great place to stay...)

Tin Man
07-06-2010, 13:42
Agreed. And I found this section to be much harder than the LT section of the trail, since instead of hiking along with the mountains, you're hiking against the grain, so to speak.

yep, a lot tougher than we anticipated. even the downhill sections seem to have a few ups in them. :)

Ender
07-06-2010, 14:24
yep, a lot tougher than we anticipated. even the downhill sections seem to have a few ups in them. :)

Right? By the time I got to Hanover, I was wiped out.

Landshark
07-06-2010, 19:47
Now I realize you said "AT" but if you want the best hike in Vermont, hike part of the Long Trail beyond where the AT splits off. One specific recommendation: Lincoln Gap north to Jonesville/US Rt. 2. It's 33 1/2 miles but more challenging than the 40 miles of the AT hike. And it's also gorgeous. You start with a 1,600' ascent up Mt. Abraham where you get your first look at Lake Champlain, you hike along the Lincoln Ridge, plummet down to Appalachian Gap and then hike over a series of steep ridges culminating in Camels Hump - VT's 3rd highest summit and the highest one with no roads, power lines, etc. on top.

I'm with Cookerhiker on this. Lincoln Gap to Jonesville would be awesome. You could also go from Middlebury Gap north to Montclair Glen Lodge (just before Camel's Hump). Drop your stuff at the shelter then go up to Camel's hump and then backtrack.

It's a challenge, lots of ups and downs and scrambles, but it's worth it. Plan ahead carefully for water stops--some springs could be dry b/c of our heat wave.