PDA

View Full Version : It's so hot that:

Panzer1
07-06-2010, 13:51
1) its so hot that the thermostat on my bar-b-que grill on my deck reads 160 degrees even though it is not turned on. its just 160 degrees from sitting in the direct sun...

Panzer

Tipi Walter
07-06-2010, 13:59
It's so hot that

** I'm planning my next trip to be spent mostly next to fast moving, cold mountain creeks.

** I ordered two Sea To Summit headnets just to keep the gnats away.

** I fully expect to get rattlesnake bit and die on the trail.

kanga
07-06-2010, 14:01
it's so hot that warrghy's unnerpants melted right off..

moytoy
07-06-2010, 14:04
** that the water in my pool is 92 degrees

** that I wish I could be in Tennessee

Tipi Walter
07-06-2010, 14:06
It's so hot that for .02 nanoseconds I actually considered not going out backpacking this month.

Adayak
07-06-2010, 14:27
It's so hot that I don't have time to sterilize the water before drinking it! Soooo thirsty!

Cabin Fever
07-06-2010, 17:13
...that I haven't mowed my front yard in over a month.

Deadeye
07-06-2010, 17:18
...that the top on the convertible is UP!

Lion King
07-06-2010, 17:22
Its so hot that I miss hiking in the desert on the PCT that I just returned from.

HOW THE HELL IS IT HOTTER HERE THEN IN THE MOJAVE??!??!?!??

Im in Chicago by the way

sbhikes
07-06-2010, 17:33
Dang you guys. It's so cold here and cloudy and drizzly I feel like I'm going to kill myself if I don't see the sun again. I'm sick of wearing my down jacket every day.

johnnybgood
07-06-2010, 17:35
That friday's forcast of 90 seems like a cold snap.

modiyooch
07-06-2010, 18:56
It was so hot last year that my cell phone melted while hiking for a month. It was brand new and it must have bubbled up from the heat. Verizon techs said they never seen anything like it. They replaced it as a mfg defect.

Bags4266
07-06-2010, 19:10
It's so hot I took a shower in my own sweat.

babbage
07-06-2010, 19:13
Its so hot that I had to rub Neosporin (it was all that I had) on my nuts to stop the chaffing.

The bad thing is... now I am going thru a tube a day at home....:eek: I'm hooked!

Ranc0r
07-06-2010, 19:24
Sorry, not even close.

I spent 2.5 years in Panama, courtesy of Uncle Sam, and you folks ain't seen hot. 6 days at 100+ F in triple canopy jungle, at a stretch. Night time lows in the upper 90's F. I came down to the coast after an 11 day FX once: 120F all day for 6 days and it dripped the entire time even tho there hadn't been any direct rainfall in 10 days. Down to a balmy 84F and trade wind breeze. I stayed in my bunk under two summer blankets for 2 days, until the chills stopped. I swear to you here, I will never complain about being cold again. You can always put more clothes on; you can only take off so much, then you're nekkid and sunburnt.

I HATE summer temperatures, and have the scars to prove it. Don't even own a down bag, but have lots of poncho liners.

Ranc0r

Landshark
07-06-2010, 19:40
my non-hiker husband agreed to hike just to get higher up to catch a breeze (Mt. Cardigan, NH was only 76 degrees on the summit at 11 am)

Appalachian Tater
07-06-2010, 19:45
It was so hot this morning that the air coming out of the subway grates felt COOL instead of HOT.

Wise Old Owl
07-06-2010, 19:53
it's so hot that warrghy's unnerpants melted right off..

I heard he went commando........:eek: But he doesn't exsist.

boarstone
07-06-2010, 20:23
It's so hot...the banks hottop driveway across the street is trying to crawl into the woods...

I don't mind the heat, it's the humidity up here that I have a hard time with. A couple of days ok, but not all week! I hear Friday is looking up...only 80's..where's my 15 deg. down bag!

kayak karl
07-06-2010, 21:14
It's so hot I saw two trees fighting over a dog.

Lone Wolf
07-06-2010, 21:20
the men and women in iraq and afghanistan know what hot is. we don't. 90s' low 100s ain't jack when typin' from a computer in air conditioned comfort

The Cleaner
07-06-2010, 21:35
You think the heat is a problem,just wait till the springs dry up...now that is a real problem...

daddytwosticks
07-07-2010, 07:35
We like to complain about the weather. It's human nature. Lone Wolf is right. Our armed forces in Afghanistan and Iraq deal w/this for months at a time. :)

kanga
07-07-2010, 07:48
yes they do. and most everybody appreciates the fact that they risk their lives so that we have the freedom to be able to joke around on the interwebs.

modiyooch
07-07-2010, 08:01
It's so hot that the sun is sweating.

Tipi Walter
07-07-2010, 09:12
Sorry, not even close.

I spent 2.5 years in Panama, courtesy of Uncle Sam, and you folks ain't seen hot. 6 days at 100+ F in triple canopy jungle, at a stretch. Night time lows in the upper 90's F. I came down to the coast after an 11 day FX once: 120F all day for 6 days and it dripped the entire time even tho there hadn't been any direct rainfall in 10 days. Down to a balmy 84F and trade wind breeze. I stayed in my bunk under two summer blankets for 2 days, until the chills stopped. I swear to you here, I will never complain about being cold again. You can always put more clothes on; you can only take off so much, then you're nekkid and sunburnt.

I HATE summer temperatures, and have the scars to prove it. Don't even own a down bag, but have lots of poncho liners.

Ranc0r

Good post, RancOr. I spent 2 years in the Republic of Panama myself, and I remember the first time I got off the USAF airplane at Howard AFB and walked over to some softball bleachers and set down my duffel bag and sat down on the benches and wondered, "What did I get myself into this time?", because of the heat. It didn't help that right before the plane landed I smoked a last cigarette and when I lit it a bit of burning phosphorus flew up into my eye and burned inside my eyelid so that everythime I blinked it scratched my eye. In the heat it seemed hellish.

We had open bay barracks with no AC and screened windows all around the four story building. On the bottom floor was a Panamanian guy running a laundry. We also had a "barracks boy", a 40 year old Panamanian named Johnny, who helped to clean and stuff. He was also our "mango boy" since he could climb the big mango tree outside our barracks and bring in the fruit.

And then there's the jungle . . . . . . Some say the Panama jungle is the thickest and wildest in the world, and I gotta agree. I have old fotogs of me and my buddy "backpacking" thru the Los Crucis rain forest and we look like two grease-coated monkeys covered in mosquitoes and leeches. Everything around us wanted their pound of flesh, and while it was humid and hot, I was mostly worried about death-by-bushmaster. I scrounged up a fotog of those days below, "Tipi Walter in Panama, 1972".

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_b401C2NJk-Y/TDR_if6kHrI/AAAAAAAAA2E/X3WyCCCsEI8/walter%20in%20panamasmaller.jpg

Fiddleback
07-07-2010, 09:51
It's so hot that...

...I only had one cup of hot chocolate on 4th of July morning. Nighttime low was 33.4 but then, I'm at a whopping 3600' elevation.

I know that, as Lone Wolf posted in another thread, this is a AT General Forum but, after years of paying a hundred extra each month for air conditioning in San Antonio I just can't help but giggle. And boast.:D

On the other hand...it was so cold last October that I saw Smokey the Bear walking around slapping his arms shouting, "Start fires! Start fires!"

FB:banana

hellomolly
07-07-2010, 10:26
Speak for yourself. 105 plus 70 dewpoint is hot, no two ways about it.

It's so hot that... even the most innocuous joke thread on whiteblaze prompts thread drift toward politics and "I walked uphill through snow both ways"-type comments. Oh wait, that's every thread! :rolleyes:

It's so hot that.... my seatbelt has become a branding iron.

TinaLouise
07-07-2010, 10:28
It's so hot that....
hummm....

Ok, I think the heat has fried my brain because I can't remember what I was gonna say. In my defence of such a lame post, I did just spend a whole week at Summer Camp being the assistant Scoutmaster for a Boy scout troop in temps ranging from 100 - 107 during the day.
TinaLouise

fredmugs
07-07-2010, 12:09
the men and women in iraq and afghanistan know what hot is. we don't. 90s' low 100s ain't jack when typin' from a computer in air conditioned comfort

True that. I can remember walking armory guard in Yuma when it was 118 degrees but that wasn't accompanied by desert winds and that *****ty sand.

At least I won't freeze when I go over Mt Washington in about 10 days!!!

Graywolf
07-07-2010, 13:32
Its so hot that....Hikers dont want to hike, their sitting around coming up with lame threads in an air conditioned room, drinking iced tea, eating freeze dried bananas, waiting for it to cool off so they can go hike and complain how hot it is...

Sierra Echo
07-07-2010, 13:41
I'm gonna have a hard time keeping my new tat moist. With all this
heat I'm gonna have to cart around a gallon of lubraderm! :rolleyes:

Cookerhiker
07-07-2010, 14:05
It's so hot that the mosquitos are staying in the pond instead of flying over to extract my blood.

jeepcachr
07-07-2010, 14:11
** that the water in my pool is 92 degrees

** that I wish I could be in Tennessee
I was in Tenessee all last week. The water in Lake Norris was 88 degrees. The generator on our house boat kept overheating trying to keep the AC running. Taking a swim didn't cool you off.

Panzer1
07-07-2010, 14:26
Its so hot that the citronella candles on our deck have melted..

Panzer

Tipi Walter
07-07-2010, 19:12
Its so hot that....Hikers dont want to hike, their sitting around coming up with lame threads in an air conditioned room, drinking iced tea, eating freeze dried bananas, waiting for it to cool off so they can go hike and complain how hot it is...

This is also true and applies in the winter, too. It's either too hot or too cold. Fickle bunch.

Gray Blazer
07-07-2010, 19:26
You all need to move to FL. Perfect down here.

Thanks for thinking about the troops. Who would want to be in Baghdad if they didn't have to?

Panzer1
07-07-2010, 21:51
It's so hot that the mosquitos are staying in the pond instead of flying over to extract my blood.

yea, I'm guessing that the high heat of 100 degrees or more could dry out and kill flying adult mosquitoes especially during a drought.

Panzer

Tinker
07-07-2010, 22:28
We like to complain about the weather. It's human nature. Lone Wolf is right. Our armed forces in Afghanistan and Iraq deal w/this for months at a time. :)

News flash - they weren't drafted. Ya take what ya get when you're Uncle Sam's pet ;).
Tough way to earn a college degree.

OutdoorsMan
07-07-2010, 22:43
It's so hot that chickens are laying hard boiled eggs.

K2
07-08-2010, 15:38
Well, I couldn't think of any except frying eggs on the sidewalk. So, wouldn't you know, I googled (http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=it%27s+so+hot+that) it!

Feral Bill
07-08-2010, 15:51
News flash - they weren't drafted. Ya take what ya get when you're Uncle Sam's pet ;).
Tough way to earn a college degree.

No, they volunteered with good intentions and little or no idea what they were getting into. Or people overseas deserve our respect, even when we question why they're out there.

couscous
07-08-2010, 16:13
On the other hand...it was so cold last October that I saw Smokey the Bear walking around slapping his arms shouting, "Start fires! Start fires!"FB:banana
Thanks, I needed that! So funny.

Lazy Maintenance Man
07-09-2010, 08:10
It's so hot new water restriction laws are being enforced:
-American cars must be washed no more than once a week. Washing Japanese cars is strictly prohibited. German cars may be driven into the lake.
-No drinking more than four glasses of water a day. Beer may be consumed at will.
-No bathing or showering more then once a month. Bathing in the ocean or in pairs is encouraged.

hellomolly
07-09-2010, 08:32
-German cars may be driven into the lake.

Love this. :D

No bathing or showering more than once a month... hmm, I know some thruhikers who probably would have no problem with this...

No, they volunteered with good intentions and little or no idea what they were getting into.

I don't doubt the good intentions part.... but then again you know what they say about good intentions...

But I do completely disgree with the "little or no idea what they were getting into" part. Really? Anyone who signs up for the armed forces and doesn't know what they're getting into has been living under a rock for 10 years.

Blue Jay
07-09-2010, 08:58
We also had a "barracks boy", a 40 year old Panamanian named Johnny, who helped to clean and stuff. He was also our "mango boy" since he could climb the big mango tree outside our barracks and bring in the fruit.

Your 40 year old "mango boy", I'm far from politically correct but even I'm cringing at this story.

harryfred
07-10-2010, 08:27
Just got back from hiking Front Royal VA to Harper's Ferry WV,the "roller coaster". Drank 6 to 8 liters of water every day plus 2 quarts of Gatorade, and still could not stay hydrated. The sweat was running of my elbows in a stream, not an exaggeration:eek:. At one point it did remind me of Central America with less vegetation and things wanting to remove blood from my body.

BTW courtesy of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club I have been in Central America, the Middle East, North Africa, and Southeast Asia. My vote for most miserable heat+humidity+creepy crawlies goes to Panama. At least here we know the heat will end down there they know it never does.

Cookerhiker
07-10-2010, 09:02
Just got back from hiking Front Royal VA to Harper's Ferry WV,the "roller coaster". Drank 6 to 8 liters of water every day plus 2 quarts of Gatorade, and still could not stay hydrated. The sweat was running of my elbows in a stream, not an exaggeration:eek:. At one point it did remind me of Central America with less vegetation and things wanting to remove blood from my body....

When I hiked in similar weather '04 in NJ, (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=69297) I swore I wouldn't hike in these conditions again. I found the nights were almost worse - they may have been "cooler" but more humid if anything. My body never dried as I lay on top of my sleeping bag sweating all night. Shelters may have been slightly cooler than a tent but the mosquitos were a force.

As least the NJ hiking was easier than what you faced on the roller coaster with all the ups and downs.

Even now when I (briefly) consider a NOBO thruhike, the thought of mid-summer heat stops me in my tracks.

Pedaling Fool
07-10-2010, 09:37
It's so hot that my 24oz water bottle of solid frozen water melts in about a 1/2-hour on my bike rides. And it's so hot that as I ride down the blacktop it feels as though I've opened the oven door. And one more, it's so hot that 50% of the time I'm blinded by sweat in my eyes.

HOWEVER

It's not so hot that I've heard much about GW hysteria:D

wcgornto
07-10-2010, 10:45
It's 50 degrees here in Wasilla, Alaska with an expected high of 62. I'll return in a few months for the "It's so cold that ..." thread.

Cookerhiker
07-10-2010, 10:50
It's 50 degrees here in Wasilla, Alaska with an expected high of 62. I'll return in a few months for the "It's so cold that ..." thread.

I'm leaving for Alaska in 11 days! Can't wait! Flying to San Francisco, renting a campervan, and driving slowly and leisurely up the coast, over to British Columbia, and up the Alaska Highway. We return on the ferry in late September and arrive home just in time for the Gathering in October.

Skyline
07-10-2010, 11:08
It's so hot that . . .

•Glenn Beck has not refuted the legitimacy of global warming in over two weeks.

•I need to leave Virginia and go to Florida to cool off.

•The skeeters are dying in droves in coastal Delaware.

Pedaling Fool
07-10-2010, 11:18
Glen Beck is an idiot, why you listening to him?

johnnybgood
07-10-2010, 11:37
It's so hot ...

and dry : that I haven't cranked up the mower since ...:-? I last had grass in my yard.

Gray Blazer
07-10-2010, 20:00

Yeah, you should listen to Al Gore. :rolleyes:

I'm so tired of the brainwashing. :p

Gray Blazer
07-10-2010, 20:01
It's so hot that . . .

•I need to leave Virginia and go to Florida to cool off.

That's what Im talking about!

Shadowmoss
07-10-2010, 22:04
Here in the Pacific NW I finally am in shorts and short sleeves. 4TH weekend had me cold in long sleeves and a fleece at 4000' at Mount St. Helens and still not hot in the long sleeves back down at sea level. I think we had our 3 days of summer this last week though.

Bucherm
07-11-2010, 12:44
Just got back from hiking Front Royal VA to Harper's Ferry WV,the "roller coaster". Drank 6 to 8 liters of water every day plus 2 quarts of Gatorade, and still could not stay hydrated. The sweat was running of my elbows in a stream, not an exaggeration:eek:. At one point it did remind me of Central America with less vegetation and things wanting to remove blood from my body.

BTW courtesy of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club I have been in Central America, the Middle East, North Africa, and Southeast Asia. My vote for most miserable heat+humidity+creepy crawlies goes to Panama. At least here we know the heat will end down there they know it never does.

Ha, I did an out-and-back day hike on Friday on the stretch of the AT between Bear's Den and Ashby Hollow. It might not have been as hot/humid as Sumatra in '04-05, but to this San Diego guy it felt like it.

Bucherm
07-11-2010, 12:46

Because the TeeVees in the guv'ment building I work in are always turned to FOX. :(

Tinker
07-11-2010, 14:15
So hot yesterday here that, while working on a raised flower bed at church yesterday I almost passed out. I hadn't had enough water (a large iced coffee doesn't count, apparantly ;)), only about 16 oz. Temps. were in the mid 80's and humidity was off the charts.
When I got home and finally used the toilet I realized just how dehydrated I had become. I drank a quart of water right away and another about an hour later and I was fine.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, or so the saying goes. The older I get the more I forget. Forgetting to drink when it's impossibly hot could have been my last mistake. If I hadn't called it quits when I did I probably would have ended up in the emergency room.
Even the best of us have lapses in intelligence :D.

Sierra Echo
07-11-2010, 22:28
When I got home from church today, I found to my dismay that my A/C had died. It got up to 97 degrees in my house and its still hotter then the bowels of Hell in here!!!

Gray Blazer
07-11-2010, 23:38
When I got home from church today, I found to my dismay that my A/C had died. It got up to 97 degrees in my house and its still hotter then the bowels of Hell in here!!!

That's what you get for going to church.

Just kidding. You've gotta admit it's kinda ironical.

Wise Old Owl
07-11-2010, 23:55

Must have been a Fire & Brimstone Sermon!:rolleyes:

Dear Lord, I must apologise for that........

Sierra Echo
07-11-2010, 23:58

HA!
It makes me wish i was still sitting in that climate controlled santuary!

Whiskyjo
07-12-2010, 02:40
It"s so hot the grasshoppers are on the shady sides of our fence posts. Really!

Sierra Echo
07-12-2010, 22:51
My A/C was fixed tonight. It was the compressor.

johnnybgood
07-17-2010, 21:06
... the toll collectors are using oven mitts.

Panzer1
07-17-2010, 21:12

as long as you keep going to church you'll never have to worry about the bowels of hell. :D

Panzer

Sierra Echo
07-17-2010, 21:13
as long as you keep going to church you'll never have to worry about the bowels of hell. :D

Panzer

I will keep this in mind tomorrow as I sit on the front row pew! :p