PDA

View Full Version : AT 5 Nights NEED ADVICE PLEASE

nohomatt
07-06-2010, 14:07
My friends and I are looking to do 5 or 6 nights in October. Although we backpacked a great deal in our youth its been about 10 years since our Slide Mountain days.

We are looking to take it easy:) with a level 2/3 trail in the PA/NJ area.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Best,

Matt

Ender
07-06-2010, 14:26
Well, the trails in Harriman State Park in NY are pretty easy, especially once you get off of the AT and onto other trails in the park. And it's really easy to string together various trails into a trip of just about any length.

Cookerhiker
07-06-2010, 14:27
Hike all of NJ - Delaware Water Gap to Rt. 17A outside Greenwood Lake, NY. It's 78 miles and pretty easy. Even the ascent from DWG isn't hard. The southernmost portion will have some rocky stretches but the ridgewalking means that for almost 50 miles, you have very little up-and-down. Towards the end you have a 900' ascent up Waywayanda Mountain but by then, you'll be trailhardy and besides, it's still easy.

couscous
07-06-2010, 15:05
I'll suggest starting at Pine Grove Furnace State Park .. visit the A.T. Museum .. check out the Iron Masters Mansion .. get some ice cream .. and head north from there.

Feral Bill
07-06-2010, 18:11
How about Harriman to Rt 22? Maybe include a bit of other Harriman trails as well.

Toolshed
07-06-2010, 18:48
I secon the NJ AT section hike. Go from S2N and you'll find easy ridge walks with little elevation change and very nice views.

Appalachian Tater
07-06-2010, 19:54
Yes, I third or fourth it, the NJ AT is a great section with lots of interesting things to see and places to eat, nice hiking, not boring, not overly demanding, easy to get to and home from NY. Sunfish Pond, High Point, Unionville, some nice old shelters, lots of bears, and October would be perfect weather for it.

nohomatt
07-07-2010, 11:02
Thank you all for the great advice, seems we have a large consensus for the Bear Mountain region. Anyone have an idea what we can expect in terms of water supplies this time of year....Also, bears?

nohomatt
07-07-2010, 11:03
Thank you all for the great advice, seems we have a large consensus for the NJ region. Anyone have an idea what we can expect in terms of water supplies this time of year....Also, bears?

Cookerhiker
07-07-2010, 14:08
Thank you all for the great advice, seems we have a large consensus for the NJ region. Anyone have an idea what we can expect in terms of water supplies this time of year....Also, bears?

Water - not sure - hopefully a local will chime in.
Bears - yes!