PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Bronner's

Mother Natures Son
07-06-2010, 19:04
I've used Dr. Bronner's for just every use that I can think of. (from body wash to laundry soap and everything in between). My only problem is I can't find a decent shampoo that will get rid of dandruff. Dr. Bronner's just makes my hair feel greasier and not washing it on a regular basis is just plain nasty. What's a hiker to do? What do the folks use to wash their hair at home or on the trail? :clap

Ranc0r
07-06-2010, 19:09
I like Doc Bronner's for the skin, but I do not like it for hair or dishes.

For dishes, I take either camp suds or Dawn. For hair, I bring either shampoo & conditioner, or I use camp suds and a bit of conditioner.

I'm a section hiker, not a thru, and that's my disclaimer.

HYOH, wash yer own hair.

Ranc0r

Mountain Wildman
07-06-2010, 19:11
I don't have dandruff but I believe Head and Shoulders is effective.

Appalachian Tater
07-06-2010, 19:30
If you have dandruff, you want a shampoo with coal tar like Neutrogena T/Gel. Any brand will do as long as it contains enough coal tar.

K2
07-07-2010, 02:22
If you have dandruff, you want a shampoo with coal tar like Neutrogena T/Gel. Any brand will do as long as it contains enough coal tar.

YMMV, some people benefit from coal tar, while others benefit from T/Sal, another product from Neutrogena. Selsun Blue is another shampoo for dandruff. Each of these has a different active ingredient.

The only one I've used is T-Gel. The coal tar will darken your hair.

Before using these, I'd suggest trying a few shampoos that are cheaper and gentler to hair; scent-free, hypoallergenic; no sodium lauryl sulfate (a suds-sing agent, which is drying), not necessarily in this order.

grayfox
07-07-2010, 10:52
For hair, I have not found anything that works as well as Head and Shoulders. Look for the small travel size, I have never had one leak. Avoid anything with a flip top lid.

Burt's Bees All in One is good and works on hair but you might need to wash twice if your hair is really dirty. They also make a bar soap that works ok on hair. I don't know if they help dandruf though.

sbhikes
07-07-2010, 11:38
I do not wash my hair while on the trail. I braid it and leave it alone.

Once I get to town, believe it or not, I found the ordinary pink hand soap you find in gas station bathrooms to work really well. I have hair down to my waste that is fine and it leaves it smooth and tangle-free. It's not a dandruff shampoo, though.

At home, I've begun experimenting with washing my hair with baking soda. Rub some wet baking soda into my scalp, rinse, then rinse with apple cider vinegar. Made my hair really clean and tangle-free. Again, not a dandruff shampoo, but also not toxic to the environment to wash hair with baking soda.

vamelungeon
07-07-2010, 11:42
That's what I use, works great.

sbhikes
07-07-2010, 11:44
Oops, that should be waist, but seeing as how it's hauling around a lot of blubber these days, I suppose waste is the right word, too.