PDA

View Full Version : Tesnatee Gap going North and have some questions.

longmile
07-06-2010, 20:06
About to embark on my next section(alone this time), and have two weeks free. I'm not sure how far I'll go, figure I'll just be a nomad for awhile, but plan on doing the normal 10-15 miles a day. I have a car, should I:

* Park it somewhere(where)?
* Just take a taxi to TG?
* Place an Ad for drop off, and pick up(is it safe)?
* Don't know where I'll end up, but once I feel like I have to get off the trail and back to Atlanta(work) how can I do it on the cheap?

I am an advanced hiker, just never went out this long alone without transport....support. Thanks for the help everyone! :)

Tailwinder
07-06-2010, 20:33
longmile -- I'd recommend you check out the folks in and around Georgia who provide shuttle services. (See "Transportation" under the articles section of the WB home page. Ask them for prices and recommendations. They beat taxis and want-ads because these folks know the area (including out-of-the-way USFS roads), understand hiking and hikers, and are a wealth of other helpful trail info. I've personally ridden with Cool Breeze out of Neels Gap, Josh & Leigh Saint of the famous and wonderful Dahlonega hiker's Hostel, and Sally of the Sally & Joyce duo. You'll meet hikers on the trail whom you may be able to share the expense of the rides. Best of all, these shuttle providers are reliable and flexible. Seems as though as long as you do your part to keep them informed of changes to your hike plan, they are as accommodating as possible. Good luck!

bigcranky
07-07-2010, 08:30
I would leave my car at The Hiker Hostel and get a ride to and from the trail.

Tesnatee Gap brings back memories. Northbound it's a short climb, but pretty much straight up. Get's your heart going nicely, anyway. I remember there was a guy on a big Harley in the parking area, listening to the radio with the volume up pretty loud. So we climbed out of Tesnatee Gap to the sound of Elvis singing The Battle Hymn of the Republic. Surreal.

longmile
07-08-2010, 18:16
I've browsed this forum for some time, but have never asked for help. Appreciate the feedback.

LongMile