PDA

View Full Version : Need Input On Appropriate Hiking Boots

Mini-Mosey
11-09-2004, 11:16
I'm hoping to acquire new footwear soon. I am a female and wear a wide size 8 in everyday shoes. My current hiking boots are size 9's; I generally have worn them with Coolmax liners and Thorlos. However, over the last several years, something has happened to my left foot. It appears to be bigger or wider than my right foot. Consequently, I end up having to hike in just a liner sock(and boot) on that foot, and that foot really gets very painful anyway. I am not an ultra-lighter although I do try to decrease weight in various ways. I do prefer ankle protection. Can anyone on this site give me any input on what footwear I might consider? I appreciate it...thanks.

MOWGLI
11-09-2004, 11:27
I'm hoping to acquire new footwear soon. I am a female and wear a wide size 8 in everyday shoes. My current hiking boots are size 9's; I generally have worn them with Coolmax liners and Thorlos. However, over the last several years, something has happened to my left foot. It appears to be bigger or wider than my right foot. Consequently, I end up having to hike in just a liner sock(and boot) on that foot, and that foot really gets very painful anyway. I am not an ultra-lighter although I do try to decrease weight in various ways. I do prefer ankle protection. Can anyone on this site give me any input on what footwear I might consider? I appreciate it...thanks.

Mini-Mosey, you might want to go to a professional boot fitter that has been trained in the Phil Oren system. You may end up needing two different sized boots.

http://www.fitsystembyphiloren.com/index2.html

The following outfitters in Maryland offer this service:

Annapolis

Hudson Trail Outfitters -
Web Site: www.hudsontrail.com
Phone: 410-266-8390

Gaithersburg

Phone: 301-948-2474

Rockville

Phone: 301-881-4955

Towson

Phone: 410-583-0494

Good luck!

TDale
11-09-2004, 11:32
Have you been to the doctor about that foot? Eliminate any medical problem. That painful part doesn't sound right.

chris
11-09-2004, 14:28
Don't give up on trail shoes, even if you are not an ultralighter. Runners are generally much more comforable than boots. However, if you have to choose between boots that are too large and ones that are too small, I would go with the larger boots and simply wear more socks, rather than less. In 2004, Rock Steady was motoring in a pair of Sportivas, the detuned version of their Makula mountaineering boots.

NotYet
11-10-2004, 00:08
This doesn't address your issue of two different-sized feet, but I have very wide feet and have found Soloman's to fit great. Soloman carries many types of hiking boots and shoes, and all of the pairs I've owned have been very comfortable and well-made.

Kozmic Zian
11-10-2004, 23:50
You want the boot a little larger than actual size say 8 to 9. Wear liner and outer of choice (wicking). If traveling light with a pack say under 30lbs, you might want to consider 'trail shoes' or ultra-light shoes. But watch out for lack of support, in the sole and the upper. Some of these 'shoes' don't have enough, IMHO, for an extended time on The Trail. If carrying more than 30lbs, you should consider a supportive, more traditional 'Hiking Boot'. Stiff undersole (3/4 or more shank in sole), upper stiffer with more lacings with good ankle support. Also consider a boot with a raised area around the toe on the outside to protect with 'toe stub' effects. Toe stub can be very painfull over time with a boot that has no protection for this. You can 'waterproof' most boots with high-tech waterproofers available at outfitters. Ask about the products that work for your boots. But, this is essential for proper fit and comfort.

The best advice is to go to the outfitter and try different applications, light, med, and heavy shoes/boots. Take your pack and see what they feel like under load. Usually, but not always, a boot that feels good at the Outfitter, will wear well with time. Also, be sure to try them with the sock combo you intend to use. Happy Hiking....KZ@

Megabite
11-11-2004, 00:16
it doesnt matter what you wear, big-ass leather boots, trail runners, light hikers, etc... just make sure that it fits you perfectly, even after a long day, or several long days.

get whatever fits the best, be it hiking boots or running shoes. pay no attention to what everyone else is wearing, it doesnt matter, and it wont matter when your feet have holes from the blisters in them.

and certainly dont listen to the guy at EMS, he wants to sell you backpacking boots, which *I* found to be completely and totally unncessary on the AT.

megabite

Mini-Mosey
11-11-2004, 13:36
Thanks very much to all those who have responded. I appreciate your input. I checked out that Phil Oren system and it sounds promising. And I have a friend who lives in Towson...and I pass that outfitters' every time I go to visit her. So next time I'm going in!

As for going to the doctor about my foot...I was talking about how painful that foot gets while hiking(generally from blisters). However, I was told many, many years ago that my feet tend to turn inward. I have entertained the thought of going to a podiatrist. That left foot does have more minor problems in everyday life than the right foot.

Footslogger
11-11-2004, 17:30
I worked for an outfitter for years and have a lot of experience fitting boots. What I would tell you right off the bat is ...don't go after any certain brand. Have your foot measured by a professional and try on several pair of boots and/or trail shoes. Put a loaded backpack on while you're in the store and walk around for a half hour or so. That might seem like a bit of a hassle but in the end you'll benefit from the time spent. Something that feels fine in the store over a 5 - 10 minute period can eat your feet alive out on the trail.

There are "rules of thumb" in terms of how much "extra" room there should be in your footwear but in the end it comes down to your comfort. Some boots/shoes are the right length but have a low volume toebox and can rub against the tops of your toes, which is bad news. Some boots are the right length but have either too narrrow or too wide of a heelcup, which again can spell trouble.

"Slogger
AT 2003

Ridge
11-22-2004, 23:25
You need to first determine what has happened to your left foot or boot or both. Have you swelling, bunion etc? A good boot stretching by a shop may help. You should stick to the liner and thorlo combo, not just one. If you go the new route then I reccomend an all leather boot w/o gortex, seal seams with polyurethane and leather with aquaseal. Wear short gaters as much as possible/practical. No doubt that without good boots you have no understanding. Take care of the feet.