PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag befuddlement

SonrisaJo
07-06-2010, 22:21
Hi all.

I need to purchase a new sleeping bag for a fall WV - GA hike.

I have spent the better part of a week's free time reading everything I can on WhiteBlaze about sleeping bags. Due to the overwhelming awesomeness of the people here and their recommendations on other threads, I am now completely befuddled by all the options. :)

Given the following criteria, does any quality bag come to mind?

1. Under $250 or darn close to it

2. WARM. I get cold easily and will be hiking in the fall.

3. Light-ish. Under three pounds. Under two would rock, but I know that might be asking too much.

Breaking my own criteria, I was thinking about the pricier one-pound Western Mountaineering bag that is only rated to 32 (but it sounds like it's actually good at that temperature, unlike my current 15 degree bag which is also only good to 32), and maybe carrying extra clothes/liner when it gets later in the season. That might freeze me to death though. Does anyone reading this use a lightweight, cooler bag and supplement warmth like I am describing, and does it work well?

I think I want to avoid Big Agnes bags because I already have a very nice lightweight pad that isn't compatible with their sleeping system.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate your words of wisdom.

Kerosene
07-06-2010, 22:37
I use the WM HighLite 32-degree bag, but I bring my 20-degree WM UltraLite after October 1 down south. The HighLite gets its warmth from its tight mummy design, which doesn't leave much room to wear extra just-in-case insulating layers (I'm 5'9", 180 pounds).

A number of WBers recommend the Campmor 20-Degree Mumm (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065)y, at 2 lbs. 4 oz. and only $119.

Cool AT Breeze
07-06-2010, 23:09
Campmor brand down bags give the most bang for your buck.

grayfox
07-07-2010, 00:13
You will probably get lots of good suggestions but may still be befuddled.

There are really lots of bags that fit your criteria. Even at around two pounds and a bit less money you should still find something you like.

Keep in mind that the nights are long in the fall and you may find yourself in your bag for longer times than you would in summer. Therefore, you want to be comfortable. More time in the bag may mean more condensation to dampen the insulation and you might want to consider a synthetic. You might want a bag that you can move around in easily. You also might opt for a longer comfier pad.

Shoulder seasons can have a wide range of temperature and humidity. A single bag is less hassel but less versatile than a two bag or bag and liner system. If you opt for a bag and liner, the outer bag needs to be cut larger. You can use clothing on the outside of a tight bag. Wear a hat, wrap a sweater around your neck and shoulders, put a jacket over the foot of the bag, and put extra clothing under you.

Another factor is how much space in your pack is used for your sleep system. Some bags pack small and some not so much. When looking at specs watch the "packed size" given for the bags you like. A bag that packs to say 7X12 would carry a high price if it was rated to freezing. A bag that is 9X16 is very bulky and may not fit in your pack. Generally, down packs small is light and expensive. Synthetic packs bulky and is heavier and cheaper.

My fall set up is this. Ground sheet cut from all weather emergency blanket, the heavy kind not mylar. A one foot square of shelf liner under my hips to keep the pad on the groundcloth. A Thermarest prolight plus 66 inch. A marmot pounder. A western mountaineering zipperless liner. Each bag has a stuff sack. I also carry a silk liner because I like it. All this is about 4 lbs or a bit less. It is good down to 20 or so. I have a set of long johns, socks and a hat that are only for sleeping, unless I have to use them during the day to survive.

I have never regreted the money I spent on my Western Mountaineering liner bag. If I were to buy a new fall/winter bag, I would get a WM bag.

Hope this is not just more befuddelment. It is not about the bag as much as it is about how the bag you choose fits into your camping style. I like being able to sleep well when the temp drops using all my system and also sleep well the next night when awarm front moves in. I also like the mix of down for warmth and sythetic for damp nights.

fiddlehead
07-07-2010, 01:12
Fit means a LOT in picking a sleeping bag.
I have a few bags and my favorite has always been my Feathered Friends Hummingbird.
It is less than 2 lbs. and rated at 30 i believe? (not sure about that but that's what i would rate it at)
I am 5"11 and 150 lbs and this bag fits me like a glove.
Meaning: no wasted space to heat up and keep warm all night, only me and maybe room for a water bottle.

If you fit the body size, I would look no further.
I've used my bag for 4 thru-hikes already and although it has lost some loft and some down, it is still my favorite by far.
Cost is slightly more than your budget however.

I would attempt to try any bag on for size cause I have a few that are to big for me and thus: cold bags.

I hope that helps you make an important decision in your hiking career (the most important gear decision you can make IMO)

skinewmexico
07-07-2010, 01:15
Hard to beat a Western Mountaineering, and they're made in the USA. Have you considered something like a Jacks 'R Better quilt?

boarstone
07-07-2010, 06:40
Marmot 15 deg. down. Light, compacks small, is warm. $167.00 on sale. Check out Travelcountry.com and see what they have in your price/rating range.

gunner76
07-08-2010, 22:05
Your size can have a lot to do with availabilitly. At 6 ft 3 and 280lbs I am very limited in the number of bags that will fit me and are very light weight while my wife can pick and choose from a wide range of models as she is 5ft 3.

Same thing with tents. Their are some very nice light weights tents out there that I had to pass on because I am too big for them. For that reason I have switched to hammock camping.

Lots of great feedback on this forum but there is still nothing like being to "try on" a sleeping bag or tent to see how well you fit.

Cool AT Breeze
07-08-2010, 22:39
Your size can have a lot to do with availabilitly. At 6 ft 3 and 280lbs I am very limited in the number of bags that will fit me and are very light weight while my wife can pick and choose from a wide range of models as she is 5ft 3.

Same thing with tents. Their are some very nice light weights tents out there that I had to pass on because I am too big for them. For that reason I have switched to hammock camping.

Lots of great feedback on this forum but there is still nothing like being to "try on" a sleeping bag or tent to see how well you fit.
Big Agness

Appalachian Tater
07-09-2010, 06:53
I like the Marmot bags but any high-fill power down bag or quilt from any of the top manufacturers (some of which others have mentioned) should be fine. Marmot imports their shells and fills them in the U.S.

The basic qualities to look for are a (minimum) 700-800 fill power, a water-resistant shell, light (actual, not just stated) weight, and well-crafted overall construction and sewing details.

For a three-season bag, I would also look for a full zipper or at a quilt but that aspect and other features are personal preferences.

After narrowing it down to a couple of choices you might keep an eye out to see what goes on sale.

Going to an outfitter and looking at different brands and maybe even crawling in a few may help you decide. Most manufacturers have different lines of bags with similar qualities but with different temperature ratings and if you look at them in that manner it narrows down the choices since you only have to choose between lines as the temperature rating is a separate issue depending on when and where you will be using the bag.

couscous
07-09-2010, 07:12
Does anyone reading this use a lightweight, cooler bag and supplement warmth like I am describing, and does it work well?

I have a Bozeman Mountain Works synthetic quilt that I can supplement with Bozeman synthetic insulating clothing (designed 4-5 years ago for the Arctic 1000 (http://www.ryanjordan.com/2006_arctic/) trek). The combination works well for me, but a bag/clothing combination from Western Mountaineering (http://westernmountaineering.com/) is probably what you have in mind.

Country Roads
07-20-2010, 21:00
I have a WM highlight that I have taken down to 38 degrees and was warm. I tend to be a cold sleeper from the knees down. I did have on insulated sleep clothes and it was a still night. 1/2 length zipper, which does occasionally snag, but has not been a problem, it has sewn-through construction, which could create cold spots, it does "shed" down occasionally. Would I buy it again, yes.

I also use a Montbell Spiral UL #3 (rated to 30 degrees), size regular at 19 ounces, but over $250. I seems well made, zipper has never snagged (3/4 length zipper), repels light water splashes, has baffled construction (no cold spots), nicely contoured hood, does not "shed" down, it has some give to it but still fits closely. Backpacking light gives it a best buy rating because of how much bag you get for the price. Would I buy it again, yes.

Buy the best bag you can afford. I might go cheaper on some of my gear, but a good bag can make the difference between tolerable and miserable. I can tolerate most anything during the day as long as I know I can sleep warm and comfortable. Don't forget to use a good pad underneath. Some self inflators have die cut foam which saves weight, but can create cold spots. Good old fashioned Mt washington pads or similar pads are not as comfortable, but they insulate well.

In the "shoulder" seasons for longer hikes, I take a couple of body warmer packs for unexpectedly cold nights.

chris948
07-20-2010, 21:11
Just a heads up, this bag

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Stoic-Somnus-15-Sleeping-Bag-15-Degree-Down/SIC0066M.html?CMP_SKU=SIC0066&MER=0406&CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&mv_pc=r126&mr:trackingCode=4FC55351-3F84-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA

was on Steepandcheap.com a few hours ago, I went ahead and took a chance on it for $160. It didn't sell out and will probably be back if you keep that page open it might work out for you.

They also have had a 800 fill down bag of the same brand rated to 30 degrees on a few times for like $130. You could try that and a good liner.

They're obviously rather untested bags, not much for reviews but it's not really rocket science as long as the fill is good quality.

Anumber1
07-21-2010, 00:31
Check out mont-bell. Just my two cents

generoll
07-21-2010, 07:43
buy a liner. to me it's like changing the sheets on your bed. you can throw the liner in the wash after each trip and cut down on the sleeping bag funk. they also add a few degrees warmth to your bag.

they can also be a bit of a PITA to get snugged into, but to me it's worth the extra hassle and the few ounces.

skinewmexico
07-22-2010, 00:29
http://www.luxurylite.com/bagindex.html

buz
07-27-2010, 09:46
I think you have great ideas so far in the thread, so I will just put the .02 on what I think will lead you to a good bag.

Fit is crucial to a great warm bag/quilt. Go somewhere with high end bags, lay in a few, understand exactly what their dimensions are, fit wise. That will give you reference for any that you cannot physically try on. All quality bags give you their exact dimensions on line.

If you are planning on having the bag a long time, 800 fp down is simply the way to go. A full length double zipper can make the bag into a warmer weather quilt over a 3/4 zipper.

If in doubt about temp, go warmer. When it gets surprisingly cold and you are out in the boondocks, carrying a few ounces more is worth it.

Good luck.

skinewmexico
07-27-2010, 09:58
Feathered Friends also makes a great bag. And if you wanted to add a few degrees to the Highlite, you could always carry a Titanium Goat bivy.

Harrison Bergeron
08-02-2010, 22:26
Check out the Kelty Lightyear 20 for an inexpensive alternative. At 2.5 lbs including stuff sack (I weighed mine), it's just as light as the high dollar 15 degree 800 fill bags, and probably just as warm. To me, the outer shell seems like more rugged material the high end bags, too. The down side is the short zipper and it's a little tighter than most bags (which is probably how they were able to make a 650 down bag so light). However, it's got a zipper at the bottom that lets you stick your feet out, which is really nice. Campmore had them on sale recently for under $100.

scott bonder
09-29-2010, 14:40
I like my mountain hardware phantom 32. 1.5 lbs.

Hoop
09-29-2010, 21:30
Regarding fit, you can read a lot of info on the various WM bag dimensions and construction on their website. Maybe other mfgrs' websites, too, I don't know.