PDA

View Full Version : Smoky mountains Section Hike

SmokeEater
07-07-2010, 16:07
Im hiking the Smoky Mts in Sept.(hiking north) I have hiked from Amicola to Fontana. Not real sure which shelters to stay in. Im wanting to hike it in 6 to 7 days. How many days did you guys hike it in and which shelters did you stay in. Thanks!

OldFeet
07-07-2010, 16:50
The second week in May I hiked north to south through the Smokies taking six days to complete the hike. I'll give you my shelters in reverse order since you're headed north. Mollies Ridge is the first shelter you'll come to and it's a little over 10 miles, pretty much all uphill, from Fontana Damn. There's a pretty good spring downhill to the west from the shelter. No privy. The night before that I stayed at Derrick's Knob, about 12 miles from Mollies with quite a few ups and downs. Again a nice shelter with no privy.
Before Derrick's Knob, I stayed at Mt. Collins which is about a half mile off the trail and 13.5 from Derrick's Knob. Collins has a privy and the spring is about 0.2 miles from the shelter. It's looks like it's been recently renovated.
Before that I stayed at Peck's Corner, about 15 miles from Collins but again a half mile off the trail making it a 16 mile day. Peck's has a privy and spring.
The final shelter would be Cosby Knob, about 13.5 from Peck's, which has a nearby spring and privy and would leave you only 8 mostly downhill miles to Davenport Gap. On the way to Davenport take the side trip to the Mt. Cammer firetower for a great view.

SGT Rock
07-07-2010, 17:45
Unless we get some rain soon, look forward to a dry hike. I just got in from hiking part of the AT. Mollies Ridge Shelter has no water, Russell Field and Spence Field were barely running.

SmokeEater
07-07-2010, 21:47
Unless we get some rain soon, look forward to a dry hike. I just got in from hiking part of the AT. Mollies Ridge Shelter has no water, Russell Field and Spence Field were barely running.
Thats a big concern of mine. I hope we get some good rain pretty soon but its not looking good.

Brother Baldy
07-07-2010, 22:01
I stayed in Mollies Ridge and Derrick Knob last year...they are both decent shelters. Spence Field is nice. Water will be a problem until it rains, especially on the AT. I spent this past weekend on Hazel Creek and Lakeshore Trails down on the NC side and was able to rock hop all but a couple of creek crossings.

TIDE-HSV
07-08-2010, 00:13
I stayed in Mollies Ridge and Derrick Knob last year...they are both decent shelters. Spence Field is nice. Water will be a problem until it rains, especially on the AT. I spent this past weekend on Hazel Creek and Lakeshore Trails down on the NC side and was able to rock hop all but a couple of creek crossings.

Is 129 still closed?

cravj1988
07-08-2010, 08:56
mollies, russel and spence field shelters all had good water flowing on the 4th of July.

gearfreak
07-08-2010, 09:38
Here's my itinerary from last September:

Mollies Ridge
Derrick Knob
Double Spring
Icewater Spring
Tri-Corner Knob
Cosby Knob

I doubled up my last day and did not spend the night at Cosby, but I did stop there for lunch and it's in good shape. Mount Collins was getting the finishing touches of a refurbish at the time I passed through. I wouldn't add any additional mileage to my day to go there or to Peck's (but that's just me). Water was running strong at all of these and it had been a pretty dry summer leading up to this hike.

bigmac_in
07-08-2010, 10:30
According to the GSMNP website these shelters and campsites are closed -

Backcountry Campsites and Shelters Closed
• Backcountry Campsites 29, 36, 37, 83, 84
• Mt Collins Shelter

Due to bear activity I believe. I checked because there was a sign on the AT at Newfound Gap a little over a week ago about Mt. Collins shelter being closed.

129 is still closed according to TDOT website.

BSF-Hiker
07-08-2010, 11:23
Is 129 still closed?

I got word last night from one of the TDOT employees that they are paving today and tomorrow and plan to open the road Friday at 5pm (July 9).

That will help a lot that may be shuttling from Fontana.

SGT Rock
07-08-2010, 14:30
Thats a big concern of mine. I hope we get some good rain pretty soon but its not looking good.

If I were you I would plan a back up trip somewhere else in case. This is sort of how the drought of 2007 got started. By the fall that year there were VERY long stretches of the AT in the Smokies without water (say like from Fontana to the water fountain at Newfound Gap). Either have a back up of somewhere else on the AT or seriously consider doing a part of the lake shore trail.

Cabin Fever
07-08-2010, 15:19
I just got back from doing Newfound to I-40 and water was barely flowing at the shelters. Good enough to filter, but that's about it.

Llama Legs
07-08-2010, 15:42
Last week:

HWY 40 > Fontana Dam (70 miles in 5 days)

Tricorner (bear)
Icewater (crowded)
Double Spring (deer)
Spence Field (bear)

SmokeEater
07-09-2010, 11:18
According to the GSMNP website these shelters and campsites are closed -

Backcountry Campsites and Shelters Closed
• Backcountry Campsites 29, 36, 37, 83, 84
• Mt Collins Shelter

Due to bear activity I believe. I checked because there was a sign on the AT at Newfound Gap a little over a week ago about Mt. Collins shelter being closed.

129 is still closed according to TDOT website.

Just talked to the Backcountry campsite and shelter folkes they said all shelters are open at this time and nothing on the books for any to be refurbished coming up. But i would double check before you go out things can change. If anyone needs the number. 865-436-1297

CCC
07-09-2010, 11:42
I did this hike about a month ago. Here is how my trip broke out:

Miles Shelter Elevation
0 Fontana Hilton 1800
~11 Mollies Ridge 4570
~11 Derrick Knob 4890
~8 Double Springs 5870
~13 Icewater Springs 5920
~13 Tri-Corner Knob 5920
~15 Davenport Gap 2600

We were soaked the entire trip. It rained every day except the first and last, so i can't speak to the water conditions. There is a BIG bear at Mollies. Mt Collins was closed due to bear activity. Bears were also reported at Tricorner & Cosby, but i didn't see any.

A back-up plan is probably not a bad idea. On our drive to the park at 5:30pm, i was called by the GSMNP to tell me that i had to change my trip b/c Mt. Collins was closed and my reservations were to stay at that shelter on day 3. I ended up just risking it & staying at Double Springs w/out reservations. It was really crowded, but we didn't have any problems. Just an FYI...

Have fun on your trip!

karo
07-09-2010, 12:20
Anyone know if Mt. Collins has been renovated yet or if the work is finished? Just asking don't want to hi-jack this thread but is the shelter closed for sure for bears or shelter building?

karo
07-09-2010, 12:24
Also it is a bit off trail, but the water past Mt. Collins shelter is an option even if it is a long haul. Any reports on that water site?

OldFeet
07-09-2010, 14:15
I stayed at Mt. Collins on May 10th and it was newly renovated at that time. The spring had a pretty strong flow but two months is a long time with the dry weather we've ben having.

Praha4
07-09-2010, 19:06
I hiked thru the Smokies in approx 96 hours (4 hiking days) the first week of May. Left Fontana Dam approx 12 noon on Monday. Crossed the northern Park boundary past Davenport Gap approx 12 noon on Friday. That included an afternoon stop in Gatlinburg on day-3 from 12:30 pm to 4:30 pm by NOC shuttle. Water was no problem at that time.

Day 1 (1/2 day): Fontana Dam to Russell Field shelter - 13.5 mi
Day 2: Russell Field to Double Spring Gap shelter - 16.4 mi
Day 3: Double Spring Gap shelter to Icewater springs shelter - 13.8 mi
Day 4: Icewater springs shelter to Cosby Knob shelter - 20.3 mi
Day 5 (1/2 day): Cosby Knob Shelter to northern boundary - 7.9 mi

the first day was the hardest with the climb from Fontana Dam, it was a warm, muggy afternoon and didn't start feeling cooler til above 3,000 ft. Hiking in July-August heat will make it tougher, especially if the water is scarce along the AT ridgeline. Good luck.

SmokeEater
07-12-2010, 09:58
Just talked to the Backcountry campsite and shelter folkes they said all shelters are open at this time and nothing on the books for any to be refurbished coming up. But i would double check before you go out things can change. If anyone needs the number. 865-436-1297
Now they are saying that Mt Colluns is closed due to bears.

SGT Rock
07-12-2010, 10:21
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

I always check here before making reservations.

If Mt Collins is closed it isn't a show stopper. You can always have your shuttle take you up Clingman's Dome road and drop you off up the trail a bit.

TIDE-HSV
07-12-2010, 10:42
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

I always check here before making reservations.

If Mt Collins is closed it isn't a show stopper. You can always have your shuttle take you up Clingman's Dome road and drop you off up the trail a bit.

Unless you're getting a late start on the day, MC is sort of awkwardly placed, anyway...