PDA

View Full Version : Earrings

Sierra Echo
07-07-2010, 20:33
Have any of you ladies out there ever gotten your earrings snagged on tree branches??
My dad keeps assuring me its only a matter of time before it happens to me. But I wear a lot of small hoop earrings!!! I did change my nose ring out to diamond just in case!

Mrs Baggins
07-07-2010, 21:02
I've never heard of that happening. But I suppose anything is possible - just not probable. I always wear earrings when I hike - either very small hoops or some other style that's small. Nothing long, nothing that dangles, no big hoops (bigger than 1/2"). I hike with a women-only hiking group and we laugh about how we'll go without makeup or showering before a hike, but we like to have our earrings! :)

Hikerhead
07-07-2010, 22:42
I like those huge door knockers on a women's nose. That's really sexy.

Hikerhead
07-07-2010, 22:49
I like those huge door knockers on a women's nose. That's really sexy.

Opps, sorry I just now realized that this was the women's forum. My bad:(

Sierra Echo
07-07-2010, 23:26
I've never heard of that happening. But I suppose anything is possible - just not probable. I always wear earrings when I hike - either very small hoops or some other style that's small. Nothing long, nothing that dangles, no big hoops (bigger than 1/2"). I hike with a women-only hiking group and we laugh about how we'll go without makeup or showering before a hike, but we like to have our earrings! :)

LOL mrs baggins! My aunt has to put her make up on before she does anything, including hiking. But, she isn't much on jewelry.
I have yet to have any jewelry get snagged, but my hair would get snarled up sometimes. I ended up cutting 9 inches off of it. Its just below my shoulders now, but I feel bald. :rolleyes:

And on another note. Why do so many guys post in the womens forum? I don't read their jock itch/male chafing thighs threads.
There have been several threads where women have asked men not to read and they do anyway. Thats just disrespectful right there.

Jim Adams
07-08-2010, 00:46
Yes, I know that this is a womens forum but I hopes this helps someone else.
I had my hiking poles collapsed and attached to my pack under the compression straps with the points upward. I lifted the pack to put it on and tore out a nipple ring when the point caught the hoop. The hoop was small and I had a T-shirt on. If that could happen, it could probably happen with your earrings also.

geek

TinaLouise
07-08-2010, 08:42
and tore out a nipple ring

geek

eeeek!! Ok, that really sounds painful...

I wear earrings, just posts though when I'm hiking. I have sometimes lost one due to me snagging it somehow. I always wear cheap ones though so it's no biggie to lose one. Never had a branch or anything other than me (my arm, my hair, maybe swatting a skeeter and somehow manageing to rip an earring out) to ever pull an earring out.

TinaLoiuse

WinterWarlock
07-08-2010, 08:48
And on another note. Why do so many guys post in the womens forum? I don't read their jock itch/male chafing thighs threads.
There have been several threads where women have asked men not to read and they do anyway. Thats just disrespectful right there.

For one, there are many guys who wear earrings...no?

But mostly I guess it's that when you click the New Posts link, you see ALL the new threads, and I suspect people click thru to ones that interest one, often without looking to see what sub-forum it sits in. That's how I got here...:rolleyes:

Coastie
07-30-2010, 16:32
Um, you won't really be bushwhacking. If you're constantly running into tree branches, you must not be on the Appalachian trail, haha. I wouldn't wear big hoops of course, but small ones and any posts will be just fine!

Mother Nature
07-30-2010, 16:46
Um, I have hiked a lot of the AT during all four seasons and have been slapped, grabbed, tossed, and scrubbed clean by overgrown weeds and tree branches in the trail for miles on end. Just got back from VT and NH. Many miles of low lands have weeds and briars over my head in the trail. I wear a small pair of hoops and despite the "car washing" and scratches from poorly maintained areas I have never had my earrings snagged.

Um, you won't really be bushwhacking. If you're constantly running into tree branches, you must not be on the Appalachian trail, haha. I wouldn't wear big hoops of course, but small ones and any posts will be just fine!

SoulSista
09-09-2010, 17:26
I stick to post type earrings on the trail, and have never had a problem. All of mine have screw backs, which makes them more secure. For my nose, I keep a stud in it too, and don't use anything dangly or hoop like out on the trail. When I get to town, I use some alcohol and clean them all up, including the holes they go into, and that seems to keep the chance of infection down also. I have 5 holes in one ear, 3 in the other and a nose piercing. I rarely take my earrings out of my ears, except to clean them. :)

stonedflea
09-09-2010, 21:46
I lifted the pack to put it on and tore out a nipple ring when the point caught the hoop. The hoop was small and I had a T-shirt on.

ouch! that's the good thing about being a girl: i'll have a bra as an extra protective layer for that. ;)

Sweetpea-NC
09-09-2010, 21:57
I've lost an earring (small gold hoop) when a tree snagged it. Granted it wasn't on the AT, another local trail, but it can still remember the "fling" noise it made and the 20 minutes I spent looking for it. Never found it and i only spent that much time trying to find it b/c it was a good piece of jewelry. Learned a lesson that day. I still wear small hoops, I don't like my ears being naked, but the hoops are either silver or ones I don't mind loosing.

Don H
09-10-2010, 05:58

Because we don't have one of our own!

Sierra Echo
09-10-2010, 06:11
Because we don't have one of our own!

That answer makes you sound like your about 5 yrs old.

sbhikes
09-10-2010, 13:16
I try to wear earrings that break away easily (if I wear them at all.) I'm nervous to wear earings that securly fasten even in regular life.

Smile
09-10-2010, 17:16
Don't wear them, then you don't have to worry about them. :)

Sierra Echo
09-10-2010, 20:00
I have discovered my earrings are fine (and I do have some inner ear piercings I can't take out). More often then anything, its my pack that gets snagged on something! :rolleyes:

hontassquirt
09-10-2010, 20:25
i have 8 hoops up and down my ears, inner ear piercings, i've had a nose ring (not anymore), tounge ring, and a bellybutton ring. all of these are hoops except the inner ear jewelry. never in all my years have any gotten caught when bushwhacking, let alone on the AT (i've done sections, not thru hike). not saying it CAN'T happen, but if it would, i'd say i was a pretty good candidate :-) i agree with "sbhikes" and "smile". wear breakaways, or go stag. good luck!

ShoelessWanderer
09-10-2010, 23:58
I feel naked without earrings in...which is pretty funny cause I'm by no means a girlie girl. I stick to studs or really small hoops. Have many hiking for many years, always with earrings in, and have never had a problem....and I should mention I've gotten in a more than a few fights with some trees, and I'm a major klutz, but no issues. But will second the "wear ones you don't really care about" line.

Lilred
09-11-2010, 09:24
Just a reminder, the women's forum is not for women only. It is for women's issues only. Men are more than welcome to make comment, we just ask you to leave your testosterone at the door.