PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Routes, Maps

DuctTape
07-07-2010, 20:52
I'm planning to do some alternate routes off of the CO Trail - definitely Hope Pass, Mt. Elbert, and others that I had intended on picking up spur of the moment on-trail while consulting my maps - maybe CDT, higher scenic stuff, peak bagging etc.

Now here's the problem... I made the mistake of getting the spiral bound map book by the CTF and it's rather useless to me. The topo lines are great but it seems like nothing more than a GPS addict's wet dream. As for roads, alternate trails... forget it! All that's legible on these things is the GPS waypoints.

I guess what I should have done is get the Trails Illustrated maps... but now I don't want to spend the money on ALL of them, so which ones should I get? Also, any suggestions on alternate routes are most welcome too!

fiddlehead
07-07-2010, 22:04
Yes, good idea for sure.
I don't have my maps with me (loaned out AGAIN), but I would definitely do the Hope pass segment which would be near Twin Lakes (just south of there)
Also the area around Silverton has a lot of beautiful stuff that is sometimes better on the CDT.

Mags
07-07-2010, 23:38
The San Juans maps are the ones to get...
(141 and 142 IIRC?). You'll see ALL kinds of possibilities that way. The trail has been routed on more of the CDT through there, too.

Do the Hope Pass route as it is easy to figure out IMO.

The CDT vs the CT around Cottonwood Pass (Sorry, can't remember the map) is memorable, too.

kgottshalk
07-12-2010, 06:35
I did the same thing. Ended up buying the TI maps anyway. Anyone want to buy a new map book?

Karl

thejackal
07-12-2010, 22:38
last year, i did the hope pass and missouri gulch alternate routes as per pmags suggestion. i would highly recommend it. coming to the top of elkhorn (or elkhead?) pass, beholding the basin, and having it to myself were certainly highlights of the trip for me. it's really a stunning place.

in terms of maps, etc. i just printed some stuff from 14ers.com (Missouri, Belford, Oxford are right there) and took photos of the maps i found in the leadville hostel. the route is not complicated and it wouldn't be that easy to get lost.

Powder River
07-17-2010, 21:43
If you haven't ordered already I found almost all the TI maps at near half off at Red Dog Maps.com. I ordered 10 maps and I think it was $68. The last couple I ordered from the outfitter in Buena Vista. I didn't order #141 because it looks like the trail just goes across the bottom corner, but hearing PMags suggest it I might get it after all.

DuctTape
07-20-2010, 13:48
Thanks for this info, I ordered a few maps and had them sent to my maildrops.

Graywolf
08-27-2010, 10:16
last year, i did the hope pass and missouri gulch alternate routes as per pmags suggestion. i would highly recommend it. coming to the top of elkhorn (or elkhead?) pass, beholding the basin, and having it to myself were certainly highlights of the trip for me. it's really a stunning place.

in terms of maps, etc. i just printed some stuff from 14ers.com (Missouri, Belford, Oxford are right there) and took photos of the maps i found in the leadville hostel. the route is not complicated and it wouldn't be that easy to get lost.

I agree here. The CTF use to have the older alternate maps for Hope Pass and Missouri gulch but that was several years ago. Dont know if they still have them. I emailed them in 2003 and they sent them to me for free.Might want to try that. PMAGS also has good info, as stated above..

Dogwood
08-27-2010, 19:01
DuctTape, if you get Jonathan Ley's maps for the CDT in CO you will note some worthy alternates for the CT too as the CDT and CT share the same tread for about 200 miles. Ley graciously offers up his CDT CD for a donation. WELL worth it for all the time he has invested in his CDT maps. You might find his notes especially helpful for where the trails overlap.

Also get the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated maps for the CT that show the CT in its entirety with many possible alternates.

The CT Planning Handbook will show possible alternates with their trail descriptions too.

Lastly, visit Mags CT website for more highly regarded alternates and planning info. He is generally spot on with all his recommendations.

longhiker
09-09-2010, 22:49
I have most of the Trails Illustrated maps one needs for the Colorado Trail as mentioned in PMags' guide. I'm missing a couple but I didnt buy those because there is very little of the trail on those maps.

I did my hike this year but ended up never using the maps, except one map once in a mild emergency. So they are all sitting here clean, fresh and new with no wear what so ever.. will sell for $8 / piece. PM me.