PDA

View Full Version : Starting a thru-hike in August-- yay or nay?

theycallmej
07-08-2010, 03:19
Hey guys

I'm going to risk it sounding like a novice because I am-- I haven't long-distance hiked much before in my entire life but I'm set on trying the appalachian trail and slowly, if need be, doing the whole thing. I'm in love with nature and I want to see the east coast again where I was born, I want to walk the trail and feel it in me like I have before on hikes.

I'm going to be available in August to start hiking, and I want to know if it sounds stupid to try hiking northbound. I could do southbound but I don't think that reaching springer mountain would be as thrilling-- and honest to say, I want to make it work. I'm wondering if I were to start, should I start at Springer and head north from there (and be faced with the fact I wouldn't make it to Maine on time) or should I start in a state further north and do the hike to Katahdin that way, then just start in Georgia in March and head north?
Would it be so fruitless to start from springer in August? What are your opinions on the matter?

Thanks! Take care! :)

Ashman
07-08-2010, 06:37
They close the Park you go through to get to Katadhin in early October, you would have to either A)hike it all in about 2 months and 2 weeks or B) cut it short of finishing because the park is closed or C) Hike SOBO

Cookerhiker
07-08-2010, 09:34
I suggest you plan your thruhike for 2011 - start at Springer in March or April.

But I realize you want to hike now, preferably in the East. So why not hike another long-distance eastern trail in August, both to (1) satisfy your hiking urge and (2) give you a flavor for long-distance hiking in the East.

So for August, I suggest you hike the Long Trail in Vermont. Now as you probably know, it coincides with the AT for 100 of its 272 miles so that means you'd rehike that 100 mile portion next year. August is an ideal time to start the LT, especially if you start mid-month when the mosquitos have lessened and the black flies are completely gone. I hiked the LT from mid-August to mid-September (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248) and would do it again.

Other Eastern long trails include Benton MacKaye (GA-NC), Tuscaroara (VA-WV-MD-PA), Finger Lakes (NY). Search on the "Other Trails" forums on WhiteBlaze to learn more about them. Gefnerally, I believe these other trails are better in Fall or Spring hence my recommendation of the LT.

And welcome to WB!:welcome

Pedaling Fool
07-08-2010, 09:42
Have you ever done a multi-day hike? If you have time/money to hike in August I would say start and just hike, don't get all wrapped up about a thru-hike, it's best to have some practice hikes anyway, this would be a good time for one of them.

Doing this would answer many more of your questions than any of us could.

The Solemates
07-08-2010, 11:53
you can do it starting nobo in august, but it would mean you would have to wait until they opened katahdin up in the spring to finish. BUT, even worst than that would be the heat down south with that start. I'd hike sobo if I started in August - that way you are finishing around new years.

DavidNH
07-08-2010, 12:00
Best advice..go south bound. You will miss winter up north, there will be winter in the south but not like up here

A thru hike north bound starting in August.. not a chance. you'll never make it to Katahdin by early October. Ain't gonna happen!

best advice.. pick a section of trail you want to see (for example Kent CT up to Katahdin) and hike just that portion. That way you can actually have an enjoyable trip rather than killing your self.

David

Mountain Wildman
07-08-2010, 16:43
Best advice..go south bound. You will miss winter up north, there will be winter in the south but not like up here

A thru hike north bound starting in August.. not a chance. you'll never make it to Katahdin by early October. Ain't gonna happen!

best advice.. pick a section of trail you want to see (for example Kent CT up to Katahdin) and hike just that portion. That way you can actually have an enjoyable trip rather than killing your self.

David

Exactly,
Or go SOBO or wait until next year and go NOBO, Winter months in the White Mountains are no joke and should not be taken lightly, People have died here in the colder months and snow fall could be unpredictable.

sbhikes
07-08-2010, 16:55
Forget about a thru hike and just hike. Go where you most want to see the trail and go for as long as you can. Then return anytime you are able and hike some more.

Blue Jay
07-08-2010, 21:23
The road in Baxter closes not the mountain, it continues to be sad that people do not know this. Since LD hikers do not have cars the road closing only means you have to have enough food stashed somewhere to walk back out. Plenty of people climb the Big K in winter, the rangers check your equipment so they don't have to drag you out. I'm not saying you should walk the entire length of the AT into the winter. As far as I know only one superhuman does this and he does not like being talked about here. My suggestion, walk as far as you like until it gets cold then take some zero months.:welcome

Blue Jay
07-08-2010, 21:28
A thru hike north bound starting in August.. not a chance.

For you yes, for others you just do not know. Please, with your limited information, don't tell them they cannot.

SonrisaJo
07-08-2010, 21:33
I LOVED hiking southbound. It's really about the journey and not the destination anyway, plus there are TONS of awesome things towards the end: McAfee Knob, the Smokies, the highest point on the entire trail . . . Starting on Katahdin was a glorious beginning to the hike.

And then, if you decide after a couple months that you're done hiking, you got to see Maine and the Whites, and that's a pretty awesome hike. :)

theycallmej
07-08-2010, 23:01
Thank you all for your replies and welcoming so far! I'm considering all of my options and I realize there are literally hundreds of ways I could hike. I even got a message on here from someone who is planning a hike from MA to ME in early September or so and that would work great for me if that option works out. I want to especially thank the people like sbhikes and more who let me know that it's all about the journey, NOT the destination. I forgot a very true thing in life and was reminded of it again: the only rules and barriers are the ones in your mind.

I'm more in favor now of the Appalachian Trail compared to the American Discovery Trail-- the ADT offers length and scenery, but not the solitude and wilderness I really want.

thestin
07-08-2010, 23:41
Felix the Cat did a Sobo starting in August in 1998.

http://felixhikes.tripod.com/AT.html

Razor
07-09-2010, 09:27
Do not expect solitude from a thru hike nobo starting in march or april .We have about 3500 hikers walking the first 50 miles of trail then. It does thin out but you will be traveling with a bubble moving northbound.When you add section ,day and thrus on any one time there is not much solitude.This is not a bad thing but was a surprise when i thru'd.The AT is called a social trail for a reason.You will experience more solitude going sobo this time of year in the second half. I don't know if this would be a motivating factor in my decision process but the important thing is to get out and enjoy the experience and as you gain knowledge your decisions on where or when will be more informed.

Mags
07-09-2010, 09:44
Do not expect solitude from a thru hike nobo starting in march or april .

Hike the BMT NoBo and then hook on the AT again at Davenport Gap. Less people that way and when the AT is joined again, the crowds may have thinned out a bit.

DapperD
07-09-2010, 18:03
Hey guys

I'm going to risk it sounding like a novice because I am-- I haven't long-distance hiked much before in my entire life but I'm set on trying the appalachian trail and slowly, if need be, doing the whole thing. I'm in love with nature and I want to see the east coast again where I was born, I want to walk the trail and feel it in me like I have before on hikes.

I'm going to be available in August to start hiking, and I want to know if it sounds stupid to try hiking northbound. I could do southbound but I don't think that reaching springer mountain would be as thrilling-- and honest to say, I want to make it work. I'm wondering if I were to start, should I start at Springer and head north from there (and be faced with the fact I wouldn't make it to Maine on time) or should I start in a state further north and do the hike to Katahdin that way, then just start in Georgia in March and head north?
Would it be so fruitless to start from springer in August? What are your opinions on the matter?

Thanks! Take care! :)It doesn't sound "stupid" because you want to hike Northbound at all. This is what like 90% of the thru-hikers on the AT do. What I think is "smart" would be to attempt to begin your hike at a point on the trail, say possibly in New England somewhere, so you can get thru to Mt. Katahdin and finish by the middle of October. At this point you can then flip back to where you began and continue on Southbound. If you enjoy the camaraderie of other's, try to figure out where the majority of Northbound thru hiker's will be when you plan to begin in August, and maybe start there. Wherever you choose to begin, I have learned that one needs to allow at least 6 months to really be unrushed and to enjoy their hike. You can do it in less time, but why have to rush to get to Maine or anywhere else for that matter. The reason you are out there is to enjoy yourself and have fun. If you have unavoidable time constraints, then I would forget about thru-hiking and take the advice given from other's and just go out to hike and forget about doing an entire thru-hike of the AT this season.

10-K
07-09-2010, 18:50
One thing to keep in mind is that there is a correlation between the cost of a hike and how long it takes to finish.

That is, the longer it takes, the more money you'll need.

Blue Jay
07-10-2010, 09:45
One thing to keep in mind is that there is a correlation between the cost of a hike and how long it takes to finish.

That is, the longer it takes, the more money you'll need.

Although this often is true, it is not even close to being actually true.