PDA

View Full Version : Using my 3 season tent in the winter

The Beekeeper
07-08-2010, 03:31
Alright so I was doing a thru hike, busted my knee, and now I want to get back onto the trail in about a month (either hiking sobo or doing some sort of flip-flop). Assuming it will take me 5-6 months and I'll be doing winter hiking, what do you think about using my current Big Sky Evolution 2 person 3 season tent ( http://www.bigskyinternational.com/SummitShelters/Big-Sky-Evolution-2Plus-details.htm ) for this hike. I probably be using a older Northface Cat's Meow 15 degree sleeping bag. If you don't think that tent/bag combo is appropriate, what do you recommend.

Appalachian Tater
07-08-2010, 05:54
Make sure your knee is healed before you start hiking. If you repeatedly mess it up now you will really regret it a few years down the road when you have to get a joint replacement.

kyhipo
07-08-2010, 10:09
I have used a 3 season tent in winter many times,would bring extra tarp.You should be fine.ky

The Solemates
07-08-2010, 11:50
i use my 3 season tent year round, and have taken it several times out west in the winter. the AT should be fine.

The Beekeeper
07-08-2010, 16:19
Yeah I have been off my knee for a while and am doing physical therapy and definitely am not gonna go back out on the trail before my knee is ready. So yeah I'll probably go ahead and use my current tent then and an extra tarp. Thanks

Tinker
07-08-2010, 18:56
One minor problem with using a three season tent in the winter is that wind can whip new snow (spindrift) up under the fly (doesn't go all the way to the ground) and through the mesh. This has happened to me and given me a damp bag.

grayfox
07-08-2010, 20:37
Beekeeper, I looked up your tent and think it will be fine in any but the deepest snow that would keep you off the trail anyway. That said, you will probably have the shelters mostly to yourself in that kind of weather. Your sleeping bag is also good. I have paired mine with a down liner and slept well in some very cold weather.

So I would say that your tent and bag are workable but a bit on the heavy side considering that you will probably be carrying extra stuff to stay warm and well fed.

I think you should reconsider your need to finish this thru this year. If your desire is to do it ok. But you are very young to be setting yourself up for a lifetime of knee probems by hiking before you are healed even if you feel good to go. Winter hiking can be hard on footing. Even the leaves get slippery.

At the risk of sounding like a parent, the trail will still be there next year. No shame in waiting.