PDA

View Full Version : Article on Scott Rogers & Bill Irwin

SavageLlama
11-09-2004, 10:31
Good read.
http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/columnstoryS1108HUGHESCOL.htm (http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/columnstoryS1108HUGHESCOL.htm)

They seek the agony of victory

BY ROBERT HUGHES
FLORIDA TODAY
Nov 7, 2004

There's this guy who's finishing the 2,168-mile Appalachian Trail on Thursday.

On one leg.

And he ain't hopping.

Actually, Scott Rogers' biggest physical problem since he started his walk from Georgia to Maine has been with the prosthetic leg that makes his journey possible.

In a journal he's writing on his Web site, www.onelegwonder.com, Scott Rogers said the leg works correctly only 1/4 of the time, and that it can be quite uncomfortable when it does work.

"At worst, it feels like I have a leg shoved up my rear end, and every fourth or fifth step brings me one step closer to being neutered," he has written.

Rogers started the hike in March to provide inspiration to others, thinking he would be the first amputee to complete the journey. But he received a shock just a couple of days into his hike when he learned another amputee had hiked the A.T. in 1992.

Still, his is an incredible journey. . . and not very enjoyable.

Rogers admitted, "The hike hasn't been fun at all. I've relied solely on my commitment to keep me on the trail, because mentally, I certainly haven't wanted to be there."

Those words sound remarkably similar to those from a man who's A.T. thru-hike was even more incredible -- and painful.

I happened upon Bill Irwin and his seeing-eye dog, Orient, in 1990 when I was checking a section of the A.T. in New Jersey, so I can attest to the fact that he was, in fact, doing what many thought was impossible. He emerged from the woods with only the dog as company, and he was dying of thirst.

All I had was a warm Sprite, but he guzzled it down.

Finding water is one of a sighted hiker's biggest challenges on the trail, much less someone blind.

The only focus the dog had, however, was to get into my car and get the heck off the trail.

It was clear "fun" wasn't a word to describe their experience.

As beautiful a hike as it is, the A.T. is awfully hard for anyone to complete in one year because of the mental drudgery.

Even after making all the preparations involved with a thru-hike -- including quitting your job, getting into shape, mailing out food packages to post offices along the way -- fewer than one in 10 of the people who start a thru-hike each year actually make it.

And most don't get beyond the first week.

Irwin said the quitters may be physically prepared, but not mentally.

"Most who quit, say they quit because it's not fun anymore," he said. "It's a job, not just fun, and you need to know that to maintain your motivation."

Irwin was able to complete his "job," he said, because God told him to take the hike.

Of course, he couldn't quite communicate that message to Orient, whose struggles were also of Biblical proportions.

Miraculously, the worst result of the dozens of falls Irwin suffered daily was a cracked rib.

But the biggest miracle of all was that Orient could guide him down the rugged trail at all.

When they started down the trail, the dog -- as he was trained to do -- stopped at the first rock he came to that Irwin could trip over.

Fortunately, he also knew the command "hop up," which signaled him to keep going over the next million or so such obstacles in their way.

At first, Orient was also incapable of following the trail blazes as Irwin hoped, but he found his way thanks to all the hopeful thru-hikers who started north at the same time.

(For anyone who's ever smelled a thru-hiker, I guess it's not so remarkable the dog could follow the trail by their scent. That scent was strong enough to orient Orient toward water and campsites, too.)

Irwin and Rogers can rest assured knowing they will serve as motivation for people who have physical limitations, even if the most extreme adventure for many is simply getting through life.

The rest of us, of course, can be inspired to overcome the mental limitations that keep us from our goals when we see people with bigger problems succeed.

The outdoors has always been a place to teach ourselves such lessons in the clearest, most basic way.

We all love the feeling of getting away from it all, and the bigger effort offers the greater satisfaction. That's because no matter how far we go, there's no escaping ourselves -- and all those limitations each of us must carry.

Jaybird
11-09-2004, 12:39
November 11, 2004

The hike has been indefinately placed on hold due to receiving devastating news that my brother commited suicide on Sunday, November 7, 2004. Please remember our family in your prayers.

Barry Rogers, age 39
Moores Funeral Home, Milledgeville, Georgia
Family Visitation: Tuesday, 11/9/04 7:00pm-8:30pm
Services Wednesday 11/10/04 at 2:00pm in the chapel of Moores Funeral Home, burial to follow at Baldwin Memorial Gardens.

-Scott Rogers

SGT Rock
11-09-2004, 20:14
I'm sorry to hear that Scott. My condolences.

dixicritter
11-09-2004, 20:14
Wow. Very sorry to hear about Scott's brother! Will keep his family in my prayers.

Jaybird
11-10-2004, 11:45
---from MaconTelegraph.com-----------------------------------------------(Scott "OneLeg" Rogers' brothers obit.)

Rogers, Barry Thomas

Barry Thomas Rogers -MILLEDGEVILLE - Services for Barry Rogers, 39, are 2P.M. Wednesday at Moores Chapel, burial Baldwin Memorial Gardens. -Survivors: parents J.T. and Connie Rogers of Milledgeville, siblings John Rogers of Washburn, TN, Kim Brown, Angelia Rogers, grandmother Ruth Rogers all of Milledgeville. -Visitation: Tuesday 7:00 until 8:30 P.M. at Moores Funeral Home.

Published in The MaconTelegraph on 11/9/2004.

Jaybird
12-04-2004, 21:04
this from Scott "OneLeg" Rogers trail journal:

December 3, 2004

I want to thank those of you who sent cards & emails of condolances regarding the recent death of my brother, Barry. We had the services on Wednesday, November 10th in Milledgeville, Georgia, and buried him next to my grandfather at Baldwin Memorial Gardens. Barry was a great brother, and I will miss him tremendously. In the weeks since his death, Leisa, the children, and I have been staying at my parents' country home in Milledgeville. We returned to Tennessee yesterday, and will be returning to Milledgeville on the 16th of December. My parents have taken his death very hard, and I am trying to stay as close to them as I can during this time. I hated to have to leave them and return to Tennessee, and only did so due to Leisa having an OB appointment. (Everything with the baby is fine, duedate is May 6th)

I have not abandoned the trail, only temporarily left it. I will not finish as a thru-hiker, but if I go back and hike another 150+/- miles, I will finish as a "2,000 Miler"--which is something that I do plan to do before March 22nd.(The 1 year anniversary date of the beginning of my hike) My brother wrote that I may not be a thru-hiker in fact, but that I am a thru-hiker in heart, and he was so right about that. With regard to my hike, I've nothing to be ashamed of, as I gave it my best. Tom Gerhardt, friend and fellow hiker, was so fond of saying "All you can do is all you can do, and all you can do is enough", and that's both true and applicable with me.

A funny thing happened along my hike: I was able to get my priorities straightened out quite a bit. What was important at the beginning of the hike seems so insignificant now. So what if I didn't achieve the status as a thru-hiker? I went out there, gave it my all, and had fun in the process. I made scores of new friends, and less than a handfull of enemies along the way. I will always remember my time on the trail with great fondness. The Appalachian Trail will always be a part of my life, and I will always be part of the Appalachian Trail.

The C-Leg has been a good tool in aiding me to go as far as I did. While it didn't always operate as it would under normal conditions, I was asking more of it than it was designed for. It is my hope that Ottobock will take what I've done with it, apply it to future designs, and develop a leg that will operate under the most extreme conditions. However, as it is, it's a good leg for 'normal' everyday living. Ottobock is to be commended for developing such a high-tech prosthesis. Without it, I wouldn't be walking as well as I am.

Hanger Prosthetics deserves a round of applause as well. Paul Meyer, my Certified Prosthetist, has gone over and above in making sure that I had proper prosthetic care. As long as Paul remains with Hanger, I'll remain a Hanger patient...But if he goes, I go--He's that good.

I also wish to openly thank my gear sponsors Granite Gear, Etowah Outfitters, Mountain Crossings, Hennessey Hammocks, Allyn Morton, and Seargant Rock Hiking Headquarters for their gear support, trust, and friendship to me. Entering this, I was essentially clueless when it came to ultralite hiking gear. They reduced my starting pack weight drastically, which ultimately eased the burden in the long run.

To those who provided financial assistance along the way, thank you from the depths of my heart for believing in me enough to give monetarily. Without YOU, this never would have been possible, and to say 'thanks' seems so little when compared to your generousity, but it's all that I have to offer. Thank you, thank you, thank you.....

To others who sponsored me with accommodations, campsites, shirts, printing, etc., you're the heart and soul, and have a special place in my heart--all of you.

Tom Gerhardt, my friend, fellow hiker, and brother in Christ, I thank you for being with me during my hardest moment on the trail when I learned of my brothers' death. Thank you for praying for me, being a true friend, and going 6 hours out of your way to drive me to my car so I could go home for the funeral. I look forward to hiking more miles with you in the future. Aside from my son, Tyler, you're the best hiking partner a person could ever have, and I'd hike any day of the week with you.

To Sgt. Rock, Baltimore Jack, Jaybird, Model T,and the folks at Whiteblaze.net, I say thank you for your insight, advice, friendship, and for making me truly feel like a member of the hiking community/family.

To Bill Irwin, I say thank you for paving the way 14 years ago for disabled people everywhere. You were my inspiration, and continue to be. Thank you for being my friend and brother in Christ.

To Lane Milliken, I say thank you for the courage you've shown in dealing with the loss of your leg. It is my sincerest hope that you won't care what others say, think, or how they act toward you. I hope that you'll see that you are capable of doing anything you set your mind to, regardless of what other people say. You've got a wide open future ahead of you, and with your attitude, you'll go far. Thank you for allowing me to share in your experience, and for being an inspiration to me.

And finally, to those of you who've silently followed along my journey via the web, thank you for putting up with me. Thank you for following along my incredible journey. If you're thinking of hiking the A.T. (or any other trail) in the future, I want to remind you that my account, for you, is only a secondary account. The only way that you can truly experience it is to go out there and experience it firsthand. If you're physically unable to do so, then I hope that I've done justice in presenting my account to you.

Scott Rogers
www.trailjournals.com/OneLeg