PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and Hammocking

Ashman
07-08-2010, 07:41
Our family hammocks when we hike. We are toying with the idea of taking our dog with us next time around. Anyone here hike and hammock with a dog? If so, tips and strategies are greatly appreciated.

The dog will be on the ground NOT in the hammock!:)

Liv2Ride
07-08-2010, 08:38
There are lots of folks that hammock with their dogs. Go to Hammockforums.net and ask the forum your same question. Hammockforums.net is the premier forum for hangers. Tons of helpful, nice, very experienced folks. Join the crew and learn everything you ever wanted to know about hanging.

I know that there's a couple of previous threads on the subject. Here are a couple of links for ease of locating them.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18129&highlight=hammock+dogs

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16279&highlight=hammock+dogs

Dirty Nails
07-22-2010, 22:11
I let my 60# dog sleep on the ground near my feet, on a pad or blanket. I clip a thin bungie cord from the hammock's suspension line to the dogs collar. It's about 8' long (relaxed legnth), so the dog can move about, but not get jolted by a rigid leash. This allows her a little freedom without being able to wonder off. She's calm, and normally stays close. But if something should excite or attract her, the line will shake me awake and alert me. The bungie allows some movement without waking me. The magic for me is, again, my dog is quite calm and doesn't create any unnecessary fuss. Also, she is just fine by herself, not the cuddly type.
I use bungie of only 5/16" dia. Another nice feature of bungie cord is it tends not to tangle the dog quite so easily.
Good luck!

J5man
07-22-2010, 22:20
Hang close to a shelter and just put the dog in the shelter and get it in the morning.:D

Bama Jack & Sadie
07-22-2010, 23:13
Hang close to a shelter and just put the dog in the shelter and get it in the morning.:D

Sadie (Princess) says that is a great suggestion but don't forget to bring a sleeping pad and fleece sleeping bag so your dog can sleep comfortably.