PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Three Wire

chris948
07-08-2010, 13:30
I searched around for different opinions, and I think the general agreement is people don't like these bivy's because they are too small.

Just wanted to provide my own small review, I actually like it.

Used it a few times, once in the rain this spring. I was able to change clothes inside of it (not easy, but definitely not impossible) and being over six feet tall, that's something I was leery of. Was also able to pack up my sleeping bag while inside. It's incredibly lightweight which I guess is the main draw.

eVent is great, definitely better than my BD Lightsabre bivy. That thing had serious water issues. You still get dampness on your bag after a night of rain, something I'm not too thrilled about.

The design is also very solid in high winds. Being so low to the ground helps in that case.

This is the 2010 model, and I am pretty pleased. The external poles make it easier to set up. Although to be honest they have pretty amazing ultralight tents that I kind of wish i had tried as well.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7176/70933232.jpg

FamilyGuy
07-08-2010, 13:41
Hi Chris - thanks for the review. I have the pre 2010 version which has the internal pole set up. I too really like mine but the set up can be frustrating. On the 2010 model, it looks infinitely easier.

I usually bring a small 5 oz tarp that I can, if necessary strip over the top but usually it stays in the pack.

Question: is the foot area eVent as well or is it nylon of some sort? Did you find condensation issues at the foot end at all?

Thanks,

FamilyGuy
07-08-2010, 13:43
Oh, one other thing.

Last year I was camping on the west coast of Vancouver Island - on the beach. At 3:00 a.m., I awoke to a lot of light. The moon was full and as I opened my eyes, there it was. Can't get that in a tent.....

Cool AT Breeze
07-08-2010, 14:53
You can if you don't put the fly on.

FamilyGuy
07-08-2010, 15:08
You can if you don't put the fly on.

Not if its raining.

The Three Wire has an awning that allows the door to be open when raining.

chris948
07-08-2010, 16:57
Question: is the foot area eVent as well or is it nylon of some sort? Did you find condensation issues at the foot end at all?

Thanks,

It's the same material as the tub, so not eVent.

I think there was some condensation one evening, but it was more across the whole top of the bag, to be honest I don't think I noticed it more drastically under the nylon any more than the eVent.

As long as there is a breeze I don't think I noticed it at all, it certainly wasn't memorable.

chris948
07-08-2010, 16:58
I usually bring a small 5 oz tarp that I can, if necessary strip over the top but usually it stays in the pack.

How do you set it up? I was considering doing this if I was near a tree and had something to tie one side of the tarp onto.