PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah River water levels

Cookerhiker
07-08-2010, 15:07
I'm spending 2 nights with my daughter camping in SNP next week. In addition to some short hikes, I'm looking into canoeing or tubing on the Shenandoah River around Bentonville (between Luray & Front Royal). Anyone have an idea of the current water levels? I know conditions are generally dry althoug some upcoming thunderstorms may provide relief.

I'll ask the outfitters but I'd like an independent source.

Per the long-range forecast, Friday the 16th is back in the mid-90s.

johnnybgood
07-08-2010, 16:50
This past weekend I was driving over the Alma Bridge , just south of the town of Stanley and glanced down at a mighty low Shenandoah River.

This is the northern fork of the Shenandoah which is close to your canoeing trip.

Do check with the Outfitters in Luray on river conditions as they were forcasting scattered T-storms late this week.

Enjoy your camping & hopefully canoe trip with your daughter , Cookerhiker. :sun

Cookerhiker
07-17-2010, 23:20
Fortunately the Shenandoah Valley received enough rain early in the week - the first measurable rain in 5 weeks I'm told - to bring the river level up to a reasonably canoeable condition. I just returned from 2 nights in SNP and a half-day canoe ride yesterday. Lots of fun despite the hot sun.

For you aquablazers out there or anyone who wants to trade their boots for a paddle on the Shenandoah, the outfitter we used is a good one, in business since 1974: Downriver Canoe Company (http://www.downriver.com/)

Incidentally, the coolest wildlife I saw was the first night in the Big Meadows campground when a Little Brown Bat flew very close to me.