PDA

View Full Version : Section Recommendations 30-50 miles north of Pearisburg?

Bruce Hudson
07-08-2010, 19:54
I hiked from Atkins to Pearisburg last week, and having arrived in the much mentioned extreme heat Wed. I headed back to Raleigh. However, I would like to get back for a section of between 30 and 50 miles going north out of Pearisburg before school starts and I'm back to teaching math to 14 year olds. I don't see anything in the data book as a natural place to leave my car that I could walk to. Obviously I could use the guys at the Rendezvous motel for a shuttle.

Water was getting scarce along the section including Jenny Knob-- crawl around back there long enough and at least last week there was some there.

Any comments about water going north out of Pearisburg?

Cookerhiker
07-08-2010, 20:38
... I don't see anything in the data book as a natural place to leave my car that I could walk to. Obviously I could use the guys at the Rendezvous motel for a shuttle....

You're not hung up on hiking northbound, are you? Leave your car at the Rendezvous and have them shuttle you to Craig Creek Valley/Rt. 621 and hike south back to your car. It's about 51 miles. That's exactly what I did in '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=92490).

Kerosene
07-08-2010, 22:51
I think the alternative of parking your car at the Craig Creek Valley parking lot would also work just fine. That's a nice, easy section that you can cover in anywhere from 3-5 days.