PDA

View Full Version : Southern Pennsylvania Section

Lemni Skate
07-09-2010, 09:25
My 10 year-old son and I will be doing a 5 day section northbound from Pen-Mar park at the end of July. We will only be doing about 7 or 8 miles per day and will be carrying a little food as possible. I want this to be enjoyable for my son and don't want him to feel like he's being overwhelmed by a big pack and I'm really not in shape to carry 5 days worth of food for two people.

Any advice on where I can get off the trail for short walks to resupply points. Not really wanting to hitch-hike unless absolutely necessary. Two resupplies would be nice. Also, any restaurants within walking distance of the trail would be a treat for us.

10-K
07-09-2010, 10:19
18 miles from Pen Mar Park you hike through Caledonia State Park.

There is a short order type grill over by the pool (you can see it from the trail) where you can get a burger or hot dog.

Better than that though is to go over to the office by the pool (where the off duty lifeguards will be hanging out..) and ask for a menu to the pizza place. They'll deliver to the park entrance - just go hang out and be conspicious at the entrance and you'll see the pizza man drive up eventually.

Looks like you might be done around Pine Grove Furnace State Park which also has a store/grill - this is the home of the half gallon ice cream challenge so you'll have some amusement if you get this far. :)

emerald
07-09-2010, 11:17
Click on the link and white blazes for information about hiker services.

Memphis Tim
07-09-2010, 16:18
I thru-hiked in '08. Be sure to eat at Taoromina's about a 1/4 mile west of the US 30 crossing. It was my first decent slice of pizza since leaving Georgia. Quarry Gap Shelter in Caledonia State Park is one of the best maintained on the entire trail and even has board games. Iron Master's Hostel is in a really cool historic mansion. Ask for the tour of the underground railroad hiding place. I will warn you that it's a little pricier than most and more rule bound due to its Hosteling Int. affiliation. You should go next door to the General Store with any arriving thru-hikers to witness if not participate in the half-gallon ice cream challenge. Boiling Springs is one of the prettiest towns on the entire trail. I didn't go, but the town has a humongous community pool with slides etc.

Razor
07-09-2010, 16:30
Don't count on staying at the hostle. It has closed. Maybe next year,if we are lucky.They may open under new management.