PDA

View Full Version : Water Treatment

Old River Rat
07-09-2010, 21:29
Hi. I am wondering if you can help me with a choice in water filters. I am very impressed with the Katadyn Pocket. It looks indestructable and foolproof. I am confused about water purification. Katadyn says that in North America, filtration is all that is necessary due to the lack of water borne viruses. I would like to hear from people with experience. Is filtration all that is necessary, or is chemical treatment also necessary?

Mountain Wildman
07-09-2010, 22:08
I use a First Need XL Purifier/Filter which from my understanding is the only unit that can claim to be a purifier since it removes the usual Giardia and crypto and also removes toxins and chemicals which most do not including Katadyn, I think, Not 100% sure on Katadyn since I have not researched them. A lot of hikers swear by Aqua Mira or the Steripen and some use nothing. I prefer to filter every time and know for sure that I wont be keeled over the next day, But to each his own.

on_the_GOEZ
07-09-2010, 22:30
Aquamira has little to no chemical taste. IMO, Filters just require too much maintenance (cleaning, clogging, changing filter) so I prefer Iodine or Aquamira. Bleach is another option. But what Mountain Wildman said, to each his own.

couscous
07-09-2010, 23:17
Being selective about your water sources when possible is probably more important. Some hikers never filter or treat water. In any case you will be fine with either a filter or chemical treatment, but using both is not necessary. I use Aquamira when by myself and a Platypus CleanStream Gravity filter (http://www.rei.com/product/767563) when hiking with scouts.

Zachsdad
07-09-2010, 23:27
As far as I know, Katadyn is correct regarding the absence of waterborne bacteria in North America. An effective filter will remove Giardia and most other bacteria. I've never used iodine or other chemicals but I believe the disadvantage is that you have to give the chemicals time to work, and if you're hot and thirsty that may be inconvenient. Happy shopping!

jesse
07-09-2010, 23:42
I use the Katadyn Extream. I like its simplicity. Never been sick.

Spokes
07-10-2010, 05:27
Hardly any thru's use a filter. Save your money and the hassle. All you need is Aqua Mira.

Old River Rat
07-10-2010, 06:08
I have checked out your choice and it looks good. You are right, it does everything. and the cost is reasonable. the Katadyn does not purify, in fact, it will not filter viruses, and that bothers me. I want good water. I do not want to become miserable on a hike. I am just starting this venture. It is going to take me a while to get all of my stuff. I will not have the time for it until my retirement in 2013. Thanks for the advice.

10-K
07-10-2010, 06:19
I started with filters - filtered everything. As I gained more experience I switched to chemicals. Now I just carry a few Aqua Mira tablets for extenuating circumstances but I very rarely treat water.

Ironbelly
07-10-2010, 08:41
You do not need to worry about water born viruses in the US. The only time that will become an issue is in a location such as a swamp or jungle where there is ALOT of decay both plant and animal in the water. Filtering will get out all of the bacteria, and that is safe for most US water sources. Like always, avoid stagnant water if possible, especially in a swamp/jungle environment they harbor bacteria and virus growth.

One thing that alot of people dont know is that the majority of the time if there are viruses in the water they will be bound to the biofilm of the bacteria in the water, and thus can be removed by a filter. However, if the viruses are "loose" in the water a filter will not remove them. Being able to tell which is the case is impossible without a microscope. Water surveys around the globe almost unanimously show that about 80-90% of water born viruses are bound into the biofilm of bacteria in the water and all can be removed with a .2 micron filter, and almost all will be removed with a .3micron filter.

If your water source is in question for whatever reason then use aqua mira or add 2 drops of bleach per liter. Or boil the water. But you have to make sure you add the correct amount of treatment and wait the appropiate time. It can take up to 4 hours. If you are going to be getting your water from a volcanic vent for guyser then you need to be aware that heat resistant bacteria and viruses do exist and boiling the water will not kill these, a filter or chemical treatment is neccesary.

I have been drinking filtered water all across the US, up and down the AT , and also many places around the world and never had an issue.

The Katadyn Pocket is one nice filter I must say, if you afford it, you wont be let down. That will serve you for the rest of your life. My Dad has one that is almost 20 years old!! And it is still on the original filter. The filter is good for 13,000 gallons. Thats alot of water. The filter is very robust when compared to other less expensive models that can only do 1000-3000 liters.

I think the best thing about the Pocket is that you can clean it with UNTREATED water. No other filter can you do that. If I ever find myself needing to replace my msr miniworks EX or have a little bit of extra $ I would buy a Katadyn Pocket for sure.

Old River Rat
07-10-2010, 13:46
Thanks for your reply. I am in the beginning of the beginning of my planning. I am going to purchase items for the next couple of years for a hike that I will do when I retire. I have been working since I was 12 years old and I have always thought I would do something epic when I have the time. The AT came to mind when I was motorcycling in the Smokies and saw a Hiker emerge from the mist at an overlook. I wish I had youth, but I am going to have to depend on bullheadedness one acquires wih age. Anyway, I have a few years to train. Thanks for the reply.

Spokes
07-10-2010, 16:37
Thanks for your reply. I am in the beginning of the beginning of my planning. I am going to purchase items for the next couple of years for a hike that I will do when I retire. ..........

pach255, below are three links to what I consider the best articles on hiking the AT. The first one covers basically everything you'll need to know about planning a thru-hike plus a whole lot more. The second link is about "Pack Guru" Winton Porter. He's helped tons of hikers and is a phenomenal resource. Finally, the third link is Winton's recommended cold weather pack list.

It's fun buying gear but it does get expensive! I'd suggest buying the bare minimum at first and do as many shake down hikes as you can. That way you'll hone your system and get to know what works and what doesn't.

Good luck!

All About Hiking the AT (http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530)

Article about Winton Porter (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659)

The Mountain Crossings Gear List (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4)

Llama Legs
07-10-2010, 17:34
Florida Trail is when I use a filter. For AT spring water, 2 drops bleach per liter.

beakerman
07-12-2010, 09:59
I always treat my water. I used to just rely on iodine but in my "old age" I'm getting less patient about waiting for that first drink so I have migrated to filtration. Here in the US a simple filter, like those mentioned above is more than sufficient. The two major water borne illnesses: giardia and Cryptosporidium are fairly large and are easily filtered out. If you are overly concerned about viruses, which I would most definately not be concerned, then get one of the high end filtration systems with the iodine cartidge (if they still make them) but for the money I would not worry about it. You are more likely to get sick from dirty hands or dishes than anything.

There are no waterborne viruses in the US...yet...that is subject to change with international travel. All it would take is someone to travel from another part of the world and drop their dirty filter intake line into a spring pool and it could contaminate it. So clean your filter as per the manufacturers instructions after each trip to prevent cross contamination.

Old River Rat
07-12-2010, 11:55
One problem I have from the onset. I don't trust tap water. You seem to learn of a boil advisory when it is too late. I rely on bottled water most of the time. For me, it will be more of overcoming what I may see in the water as I am gathering it, no matter how I finally decide to treat the water. :) I remember an old hunting buddy. He would take a mason jar from his pack, sweep the duck weed away and dip himself a jar of water.

couscous
07-12-2010, 12:13
Your hunting buddy probably had a very good immune system as a result and I'm guessing he seldom got sick.

Shutterbug
07-12-2010, 12:30
Hi. I am wondering if you can help me with a choice in water filters. I am very impressed with the Katadyn Pocket. It looks indestructable and foolproof. I am confused about water purification. Katadyn says that in North America, filtration is all that is necessary due to the lack of water borne viruses. I would like to hear from people with experience. Is filtration all that is necessary, or is chemical treatment also necessary? I guess I have tried all of the options at one time or another. I have opted for the Steripen only because it is light weight and quick. The places I hike usually have clear, fast running mountain streams. If there wasn't a convenient way to treat it, I would drink without treatment.

Really, the chances of getting sick from drinking untreated water in the Cascade or Olympic Mountains is fairly small, but the uncomfortable consequences make it worth the effort to "zap" it with UV light.

TIDE-HSV
07-12-2010, 19:37
There are a few of us on here who have actually had Giardia. All of the ones I know now use filtration. I contracted it out in WY, in the Wind River Range. However, I know a ranger in the Smokys whose husband and a friend, both also rangers, contracted it drinking untreated water out of Roaring Fork, off the north side of Mt. LeConte. It's really easy to be brave until you've had it. One other little tidbit - the sulfa drug they give you for it rules out alcohol for a couple of weeks, if that's important. :)

Old River Rat
07-12-2010, 22:25
I have never had a GI problem that lasted more than a couple of days. I guess I have to exclude the problems I had before I had to remove my gall bladder. I was sick all of last year before I had it removed. I kind of miss it because I lost thirty pounds last year. Boy! When you can eat again you sure can pack it back on.

The comment about my friend. I have always said that we are too careful these days, especially when raising kids. I can remember if I got a cut as a boy, I would let the dog lick it. We are so quick now to call the pediatrician and have them prescribe antibiotics for everything. Sure, I did it with my kids and I like my grand kids to be taken care of too. I just grew up in a different time. My uncle used to come over and rub a chicken bone on my warts. I believe it worked. They went away in a couple of years anyway. But I really feel we have weakened our own abitity to ward of illness by our dependence on drugs. Here is Louisiana, during the summer, as a kid I was ONE BIG mosquito bite. I don't remember if I ever had got that (Can't think of the disease) whatever it is everybody is getting now. I probably did and thought is was a cold.

I sure am glad to hear about the sulfa drug thing. I sure would hate to give up on the Bud Light!

on_the_GOEZ
07-12-2010, 23:41
There are a few of us on here who have actually had Giardia. All of the ones I know now use filtration. I contracted it out in WY, in the Wind River Range. However, I know a ranger in the Smokys whose husband and a friend, both also rangers, contracted it drinking untreated water out of Roaring Fork, off the north side of Mt. LeConte. It's really easy to be brave until you've had it. One other little tidbit - the sulfa drug they give you for it rules out alcohol for a couple of weeks, if that's important. :)
I contracted Giardia last October on the last few days of my Long Trail End2End. This is when I drank the (unfiltered) water, only to realize it was infected about a week after I got home from my trip. It was the worst 8 days of my life. I wont say that I will never treat my water again but I will be much more careful choosing the ones I dont. I still use chemicals because they are smaller and lighter, and nearly malfunction-proof. Oh, and did I say Aquamira is lighter?

TIDE-HSV
07-13-2010, 08:29
I contracted Giardia last October on the last few days of my Long Trail End2End. This is when I drank the (unfiltered) water, only to realize it was infected about a week after I got home from my trip. It was the worst 8 days of my life. I wont say that I will never treat my water again but I will be much more careful choosing the ones I dont. I still use chemicals because they are smaller and lighter, and nearly malfunction-proof. Oh, and did I say Aquamira is lighter?

OK, you're one... :)

BigHodag
07-14-2010, 00:12
Just saw a YouTube video this past week on building a DIY 1 micron gravity water filter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is7X6JS9vUo). Haven't built one yet, but the 1 micron filter material is widely available for $5 from many sources.

For my two week section I took a set of iodine/vitamin C tablets. Discovered I could save weight by taking only the iodine tablets as Propel powder does the same as the vitamin C tablets to precipitate out the iodine.

Old River Rat
07-14-2010, 00:23
I have a good question. Can you get any type of illness from washing in untreated water? I am not talking about bathing in the water source. I know this is a no no. I do not want to drink bath water either. I mean carrying a pot away from the water source and sponge bathing.

Hikes in Rain
07-14-2010, 05:58
Possible, but not real probable. I'm assuming you'd be at least rinsing it out after, and then boiling water for your next meal, coffee, or whatever. That heat should keep you safe.

Mango
07-17-2010, 19:26
Just got back from trying to thru the PCT (knee injury at Sonora Pass). I was surprised to find no thru-hikers who used pump filters. Steri-pens and chemicals (ClO2 tabs or Aqua mira) were by far the most common. A few used the gravity filters. I used chemical treatment on both the AT and PCT and never got sick. IMO, the recommended wait times are excessive except for very dirty and cold water.

q-tip
07-18-2010, 14:24
I found that dehydration is the biggest risk factor for me on the Trail. I use the Steripen so if I run out and get to a water source-viirtually no waiting. At night I fill a 3L camelback and drop in Aqua Pur tablets. In the morning its ready and I'm Off..