PDA

View Full Version : Nemo Meta 2P Tent

Mountain Wildman
07-09-2010, 23:01
Nemo Meta 2P Tent Review

The Nemo Meta 2P is a very well thought out shelter, It is fully seam taped and waterproof, The attention to the smallest detail is apparent in every inch of this tent, It is constructed of 20 D PU Nylon and No See-um mesh with a 30 D PU Nylon Floor, It is set up using two trekking poles, 8 supplied DAC Stakes and pre-attached adjustable guy-out lines. The floor is 96" X 53" with a center peak height of 43", The packed size is 5" X 7" X 10" in the supplied combination Compression/Dry Sack which is a nice touch, Most tents come with a stuff sack. I had plenty of room for my 25" X 77" Large NeoAir mattress, Backpack, Shoes and every other little piece of gear. Heavy winds here in the White Mountains barely moved the tent and in the morning there was absolutely no condensation at all. There is a small loop at each end of the peak that I will run a line for hanging wet clothing to dry and for my headlamp or backup light as a tent light when I head in for the night. The floor is a little slippery, similar to a silnylon floor but is no problem especially if the tent is pitched on a level surface. There are integrated vents at each end of the peak and each side of the tent, the side vents are adjustable by guy-out line tensioning or a short strap with an attached adjuster, and the peak vents are in a fixed position. There is a large "D" shaped door in the No-See-um mesh at each end of the tent with dual zippers that slide easily and virtually snag free due to the efficient tensioning through the design of the tent. There is a vestibule at each end of the tent, one side of the vestibule is staked out and has a snap buckle that secures it to the staked strap, also attached to the staked strap is a small integrated mesh pouch that contains the tensioning line which attaches to a small looped strap at the reinforced trekking pole handle pocket and adjusts with a small plastic line gripping adjuster, The trekking poles are in the usual handle up position with this tent contrary to other trekking pole tents which place the tip of the pole at the top of the tent and the handle at the bottom of the tent and in some designs in the dirt, I like this particular feature, one less thing I have to wipe off and clean. The other side of the vestibule zips to the secured side of the vestibule and has a storm flap that covers the zipper and the storm flap is held in place with two Velcro patches, one at the bottom and one half way up the vestibule. All of the guy line and zipper pulls are reflective. There is a hanging mesh gear pouch on the bottom right side of each door which is more sturdy than other mesh pouches I've seen in various tents. Even with both vestibules completely closed I had plenty of ventilation and fresh air, but enough warmth to be comfortable on a crisp White Mountain night. The subdued lime green color is a nice change of pace and not fluorescent or obnoxious in any way. I am very happy with this tent and it is a permanent addition to my arsenal of gear. At 3.4 lbs for a 2 person tent, this is certainly not a heavy tent, and that's with everything needed to pitch the tent. Though a few ounces heavier than a 2 person silnylon shelter, It is a worthwhile trade off to not be showered by condensation because you bumped into the side of the tent, and once pitched and properly tensioned, did not require further tensioning which is inherent to silnylon shelters. Every inch of this tent had obvious, sincere thought put into it and it is a far departure from the old style pup tent that it vaguely resembles, My compliments to the designers at Nemo Equipment, If they were trying to improve on the old style design they have succeeded, And if they were trying to redesign the old style tent, they have succeeded there as well. In my humble opinion, the Nemo Meta 2P Tent is a five star shelter.

Ironbelly
07-10-2010, 19:49
Nice review, I just ordered a Meta 2P a week and a half ago and I can't wait for it to get here. If only NEMO could keep the production up with the demand. Every store that sells them that I know of is sold out and operating on backorder. I think Nemo really hit a home run with this tent, as I have heard nothing but good things.

Mountain Wildman
07-10-2010, 20:00
Nice review, I just ordered a Meta 2P a week and a half ago and I can't wait for it to get here. If only NEMO could keep the production up with the demand. Every store that sells them that I know of is sold out and operating on backorder. I think Nemo really hit a home run with this tent, as I have heard nothing but good things.

I am sure you will be happy with it, As I stated in my review, Nemo apparently gave serious consideration to every little detail, It's difficult to find any part of the design that reminds me of the old style tent except for the over appearance which is also a little different.
Please post back your thoughts about the Meta 2P or post your own review. I'd be interested in your opinion.
MW

Mountain Wildman
07-10-2010, 20:22

Forgot to mention, I just got an e-mail indicating that Tahoe Mountain Sports had the Meta 2P in stock so maybe yours will be shipping soon from whoever you ordered it from.

FamilyGuy
07-10-2010, 21:20
It is a nice tent - but I find it a bit short for my long bag. I will always have one end against the wall. Not great if lots of condensation. Excellent quality, however.

Ironbelly
07-11-2010, 00:18
I was told sometime in July, hopefully soon!

Ironbelly
07-28-2010, 19:40
Well, I finally recieved my tent this past weekend while I was out backpacking the Tunxis trail in CT for my birthday. Came home to see it on my porch today. So of course I immediately went to the backyard and set it up.

I am very pleased, it was quite easy to set up. Though, the webbing straps can be quirky, you have to make sure you get the metal ring into the notch on the stake or the strap will pop free when you starting tensioning the tent with the poles. Not a big deal, but had me saying *** for a brief moment until I realized what was happening.

Gonna sleep in it for the next few nights to get a good feel for it, supposed to have some thunderstorms tonight possibly and maybe tomorrow as well. Will be nice to see how it does in some heavy rains and gusty winds.

I have never used a singlewall tent before, so I have a question. If you touch the tent fabric when its raining will the water come through in that spot? I know it will on alot of double wall tents, but thats why they have a rainfly. Not sure if singlewalls or the same way or not. Guess I will probally find out here soon if it rains though.

I ordered from Mountain Plus, they give a free footprint which was nice. I also got the pawprint because I typically bring my siberian husky out with me, so I didn't want her to do a number on the lightweight floor material. I really like the pawprint, I would use it even if I didn't have my dog with me. It feels like a nice bed sheet, and it snaps securely into the corners of the tent. I put my thermarest pad under it like the directions say and it works great, the pad doesn't slide around at all and stays right where you put it. It also makes for easy cleanup of the tent, unsnap and shake it off.

So if you can answer the singlewall question speak up!?

Will post more after a night or two.

Tinker
07-28-2010, 22:19
Ironbelly, you won't have to worry about water coming through the fabric if you touch it in the rain. That happens with canvas tents, which are mostly waterproof due to a waxy outer coating and rely on the swelling of the wet fibers to seal the pores completely. Touching the inside of the canvas allows the capillary action of water to draw it through the fabric. You will notice dampness on the inside of your new tent, but that moisture comes from you, not the outside elements.

Mountain Wildman
07-29-2010, 00:24
The Nemo is 20D Nylon with a Polyurethane coating so it is completely waterproof, Does not require seam sealing and should not demonstrate any of the characteristics of Silnylon, With the two peak vents, side vents and ventilation from the openings at the vestibule on each end through the large no-seeum mesh that is the front and rear walls, You will most likely see very little to no condensation, It did not rain on my last trip so I will be anxious to hear how the Meta 2P performs in such conditions.

FamilyGuy
07-29-2010, 00:33
I've had condensation with mine. It does share some qualities with Silnylon - it will stretch and it is not breathable. The condensation has not been bad and is manageable. However, back to my original point - if you are tall, you may rub your sleeping bag against the walls.

The side vents need to be re-worked as they do not open enough to let in appreciable air.

Compared to other tarp tents, it has an air of durablility.

Ironbelly
07-29-2010, 09:20
Night 1: Temp was 71 with passing thunder showers throughout the night. It was quite a comfortable night actually. I saw no evidence of condensation inside the tent. I had both vestibules fully open since it was only light rain. Occasionally when the wind would gust I would get a little spray in the tent, but otherwise the inside of the tent stayed completely dry.

I would like to say that having now slept on the pawprint I LOVE it. Not only does it protect the tent floor from my dogs nails, but it keeps my sleeping pad in position, and is very soft and comfortable. The total weight of the tent, my trekking poles, the footprint, and the pawprint my weight is at 4lbs 9oz which includes everything(stakes, stuffsack, repair kit, guy lines etc). Which is much much better than my old tent that was 9 lbs and some odd ozs! Someone could easily drop the weight to the 3 lbs range if they didn't use the footprint or pawprint.

Tonight's forecast is for thunderstorms with periods of heavy rain and strong winds. If I survive the night I will post how it holds up!

My wife think's I am crazy for sleeping in my tent every night this week, but hey I want to know how my gear performs before I set off on a multi-day trek.

Mountain Wildman
07-29-2010, 12:35
I have the Footprint to protect the tent floor and would love to get the pawprint but my pack weight is already too heavy, I ordered a scale which should arrive today or tomorrow and I am going to weigh every single piece of gear and start cutting my pack weight, Thanks for posting the tent performance, I have not had it very long and when I did use it, The temps were comfortable and there was no rain.

Ironbelly
07-29-2010, 21:20
Well It's kinda nice to by sitting in my Meta with my laptop using my wireless from the house =).

So the rain has been coming down for about an hour now, and its f*in pouring. Temp is 69 and it is pretty windy, I will estimate the winds at around 20-30mph sustained, with probally some gusts upwards of 40-50.

The tent is holding up well. It is taking the winds quite well and It hasn't felt the slightest bit unstable. I have noticed like some other reviewers on varying sites that the lower vents on the sides don't really stay open like I would like. I have tried playing with the adjustment on the outside but it really only closed them and not opens them. I read somewhere about using a qtip to prop them open, and while this does work well It would not be my preferred method.The tent is breathing well otherwise despite the minor vent issue.

Back to the rain. So I started off this storm with the Meta configured with the snap buckle side of each vestible attached and the other half open. This was working well until the winds really kicked in. Before the wind started up i was perfectly dry inside despite the heavy rain. Once the wind started however, I had to close both of the vestibules all the way because I was taking on water in a big way. By no means a flaw in the tent, I just wanted to see what I could get away with with the vestibule setup. With heavy rain and moderate wind I can leave the vestibles half open, but once it really starts blowing you have to close them up all the way for sure.

I now have a great deal of confidence in the Meta. If it can take this T-Storm I am currently in then I believe it to be perfectly capable of handling any storm within reason.

The reviews that say this is a bomb proof shelter are dead on. The tent stays taught and the poles don't budge in the wind.

I will update in the morning if anything changes, but as of now I am sold on the Meta. Best tent I have ever bought, think it will be worth every penny I spent.

Mountain Wildman
07-29-2010, 21:46
I adjusted my side vents all the way out and then tensioned the guyline so they stayed open but it wasn't raining, In combination with the top vents, side vents and opening under the vestibules, I had very good airflow, The side vents don't open very far, only a few inches, but at least it provides some ventilation. Are you using trekking poles? I had mine extended as far as possible, The tent can handle the serious tension. I agree, Though it may not be to everyones liking, I think it is a very well thoughout design, Not just another tent, But a new and different variation finally, It's right in line with the revolutionary designs like the silnylon tents and the stephenson tent in the sense that it is not just the same old thing with a couple small changes.

Ironbelly
07-29-2010, 22:32
The side vents are fully open on the outside where they are guyed out, it's inside that I was refering to. Not sure if I made that clear or not. One side of it will be open and the other will be flat against the tent fabric, or both sides will be flat against the fabric.

SWODaddy
01-06-2016, 13:43
Realize this is an ancient thread...but I noticed that Nemo is coming out with an updated Meta "LE" 2P for 2016 (see below from their 2016 catalog). I'm curious what current Meta owners (or anyone else for that matter) think of the design. It looks like it's been simplified, lightened (just over 2lbs now), and given more head/foot room. My concern is that it looks like they removed the peak and head/foot vents that the previous Meta had. Not sure how well this will do with condensation. Thoughts?