PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Eating, Your Next Trip?

Mother Natures Son
07-10-2010, 17:25
What is everyone packing for meals for your next trip? MRE's, freeze drired crud or something else?

Llama Legs
07-10-2010, 17:42
I'm bringing a cook (my wife), Outback Oven, and raw ingredients. Nothing beats baked meals with dessert!

Mountain Wildman
07-10-2010, 18:08
My next trip will be continued testing of the Packit Gourmet meals, A Three to Four day trip, The menu so far is:

Breakfast
Tex Mex Breakfast Taco-8.9oz(Serves2)
Migas Del Sol-6.9oz(Serves2)
Buttermilk Pancakes-13.8oz(Serves2)

Lunch
Austintacious Tortilla Soup-3.6oz(Serves1)
Trailside Bean and Cheese Burrito-4.1oz (Serves1)
Wild Carrot Salad-5.9oz (Serves1)

Dinner
Market Pasta Puttanesca-6.0oz (Serves1)
Roaring Campfire Pizza-11.0oz (Serves1-2)
All-American Burger Wrap-3.9oz (Serves1)

Dessert
Lemon Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust-5.8oz (Serves1)
Pumpkin Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust-5.8oz (Serves1)
Summer Berry Trifle-8.9oz (Serves2)

Also in my pack will be: Skillet Cornbread-11.2oz (Serves2-4), Banana Puddin'-4.0oz(Serves1), Creamy Italian Polenta-3.2oz(Serves1), Tuscan Beef Stew-7.5oz(Serves2), Dottie's Chicken & Dumplings-4.0oz(Serves1), Nawlins YaYa Gumbo-6.5oz(Serves1), Zydeco Red Beans & Rice-6.7oz(Serves1), Strawberry Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust-6.1oz(Serves1) and Bangers & Mash-6.7oz(Serves1).

The daily menu is not set in stone and with the additional options above that I am bringing, Will change depending on what I feel like at each point in time.

Llama Legs
07-10-2010, 18:26
Check out ProBar whole food bars. More food value than a Mountain House 10 oz. meal with 1/10th or less the sodium. Great with morning coffee!

Feral Bill
07-10-2010, 20:54
Cocoa, oatmeal, Costco gorp, cheese, salami, tortillas, black refrieds, Alessi soups, Knorr sides, maybe some pita bread, other stuff I forget.

Tagless
07-10-2010, 21:32
Check out ProBar whole food bars. More food value than a Mountain House 10 oz. meal with 1/10th or less the sodium. Great with morning coffee!

I appreciate the tip Llama Legs. My wife and I are leaving for a thru hike of the Long Trail on July 25. ProBars are available locally. We'll be checking them out.

Omega Man
07-10-2010, 23:32
I'm probably the only guy in the world that actually enjoys Ramen while hiking, plus it's so simple to cook in the field. Problem is, it's not the most nutritious/healthy choice. I'm assuming the little packet is the issue -- too high in sodium. Question: Does anyone have any tasty homemade "Ramen-esque" types of recipes?

Mountain Wildman
07-10-2010, 23:47
Ramen is so good the way it is that it's hard to improve upon it, I will from time to time throw in a can of peas or corn etc...

pattydivins
07-11-2010, 02:41
If you are worried about the sodium, do not add the entire flavoring packet into the Ramen. Personally I think that it is too much flavor with the whole packet, adding less then half of it still produces the same taste.

on_the_GOEZ
07-11-2010, 03:53
If you are worried about the sodium, do not add the entire flavoring packet into the Ramen. Personally I think that it is too much flavor with the whole packet, adding less then half of it still produces the same taste.
I will be experimenting with Ramen for a thruhike of indiana's 140mile Knobstone trail. It is appealing because it is so light (as i will be carrying 8 night's worth of food) but the nutrional value is.. well.. scary. I think I will be bringing along some freeze dried veggies to add in, maybe some beans. Any one else have some suggestions for "beefing up" ramen? im not picky so... worms? ;)

www.justtomatoes.com (http://www.justtomatoes.com) <this stuff is great!

Tipi Walter
07-11-2010, 08:42

On my next trip I am taking around 10 Superfood Slam Pro Bars, my favorite of the bunch.

I'm preparing my food bags and will be taking:
** apples
** four frozen meals(Amy's burritos, etc)double ziplocked and eaten the first four days.
** Dried mangos
** tea with honey
** small nalgene(pint?)of eggless mayonnaise
** nalgene of cashew butter with blueberry jam
** bag of rice cakes
** whole wheat bread loaf
** 2-3 lbs of goat cheese
** 10 packets of organic oatmeal
** crushed corn chips ziplocked
** four Tasty Bite lentil meals
** six Seeds of Change brown rice pouches
** three Mary Jane Farms meals(Bear Burrito, etc)
** eight Mary Jane polenta meals(very good--cook and let stand for 20 minutes--thickens into polenta).
** Frontier Herbs fruit powder drink mix
** bag of small organic brownies
** raisins and pecans.

This list is off the top of my head w/o looking, there's probably several things I'm forgetting. Below is a fotog taken on a 2009 trip of my 2 liter MSR pot with a Tasty Bite pouch meal.

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/8498/tj8498%5F092809%5F101532%5F489887.jpg

bigcranky
07-11-2010, 10:43
Plenty of great food at the supermarket, and much cheaper than freeze-dried meals from the backpacking store.

Here's a quick recipe: 1 Lipton's Thai Sesame Noodles meal, 1 bag chicken, 1 single-serve peanut butter (or big spoonful from PB jar), packet of TrueLime, couple of packets of soy sauce and hot sauce. Cook the noodles, add everything else, and enjoy. Feeds two weekend hikers or one thru-hiker.

johnnybgood
07-11-2010, 11:11
On my next week long section I'll decided to try the Packit Goumet meals :

* Packit Gourmet Meals
--- Breakfast
+ Oatmeal variety pack

Craisins and other dried fruit for snacks

* Packit Gourmet meals - Lunch

+ Summer sausage & crackers - mid afternoon snack

* Knorr sides , and either bread or muffins. - Dinner

+ Cliff double chocalate for a evening snack

beartripper
07-11-2010, 11:59
Post three, Mountain Wildman. Could you give us a weight on what you listed. You have talked about how good the Packit Gourmet foods are that I am going to try them. I do not know if it is age or what, but I am getting as to where some of this packaged food tastes awful to me after about three days on the trail. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

garlic08
07-11-2010, 12:37
Plenty of great food at the supermarket, and much cheaper than freeze-dried meals from the backpacking store....

Ditto this. Makes resupply easier, too, if you can learn to depend on the market shelves.

I carry tortillas, bagels, cheese, crackers, instant mashed potatoes, fig newtons, oats, raisins, walnuts, powdered milk when I can find it, and a ramen or two but only if I'm desperate. None of the above requires cooking, either, if you don't feel like it.

bigcranky
07-11-2010, 12:46
I carry tortillas, bagels, cheese, crackers, instant mashed potatoes, fig newtons, oats, raisins, walnuts, powdered milk when I can find it, and a ramen or two but only if I'm desperate. None of the above requires cooking, either, if you don't feel like it.

What Garlic said. Add: granola, dried fruit, cashews and other nuts, pop-tarts, jerky, sliced pepperoni, bags of tuna and chicken, Snickers and M&Ms, cookies, bagged salad mix, hard cooked eggs (don't forget the salt!), yogurt, instant pudding mix, etc.

(Okay, I guess Garlic eats healthier than I do on the trail....:-)

bus
07-11-2010, 13:23
Some Hawks Vittles-North African Stew, Cashew Curry

Home assembled TVP and Israeli CousCous 1 with some Mexican seasoning 1 with Italian

Hawks Vittles-Oatmeal an done of my store boughtones

Home assembled GOMCAPBC Good Ole M&M, Pineapple (dried), Cashew Almonds, Peanuts, Bananas (dried), Coconut

A few Cliff Bars
and some Lumen Foods Soy Jerky

Hoop
07-11-2010, 14:53
Second on Hawk Vittles - he makes the meals himself (but not the jerky), and you get your money's worth.

Tinker
07-11-2010, 14:54
Bagels, as always, for the first three days, then I'll pick some more up at the resupply on day 5. In the meantime I'll eat a few granola bars for lunch instead. I either eat cold cereal or oatmeal for breakfast. Dinners are usually Lipton with some dried (jerkey) or canned (foil packaged sometimes) meat (tuna, salmon, chicken, or ham). I always have plenty of gorp on hand (peanut M&M's, Craisins, and almonds), also I often pick up summer sausage at resupply points, and, lately I've been finding that carrying a good amount of hard candies gives me a short-term boost when I'm tired. I also carry coffee grounds and am learning to drink coffee black.
I rarely use freeze dried. The only thing I've found that I like is Mountain House Spaghetti with meat sauce or Lasagna by the same company.

Mountain Wildman
07-11-2010, 18:08
Post three, Mountain Wildman. Could you give us a weight on what you listed. You have talked about how good the Packit Gourmet foods are that I am going to try them. I do not know if it is age or what, but I am getting as to where some of this packaged food tastes awful to me after about three days on the trail. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Beartripper,
I updated my post #3 with net weights and serving sizes, So far my favorite meal was the Market Pasta Puttanesca, If I served you any of the P.G. foods I've tried, You would not think it came from a pouch. I have not tried all of their offerings but the ones I've had were very good to excellent. I have previously posted a review in the Gear Review forum under Food, I enjoyed their Bangers and Mash meal but think it would be better with a larger sausage instead of the two thinner sausages which as I stated reminded me of slimjims. My post #3 consists of the other meals that I have not tried yet and I have not placed my order with Packit Gourmet, I have it saved in my cart for easy ordering. My only suggestion would be to go to their website and order the meal or meals that appeal to your personal taste, I actually ordered the Pasta Puttanesca because it was only 5.49 and I figured it would be like any other spaghetti meal I've ever had but I was wrong, I loved it, It was not the same old, I even thought, maybe I was just starving and that's why it tasted so good but the fact is I rarely starve myself, I have no affiliation with Packit Gourmet so my only gain would be knowing that a fellow Whiteblazer is eating better than just Ramen or Noodle side dishes, Which I also enjoy but they get old after 3 or 4 days straight, I may not fill my pack with nothing but Packit Gourmet meals but there will always be one or a few in there, I have not tried the other quality meals like Hawk's but I will eventually.
Hope I've helped and enjoy!!:)

JJJ
07-11-2010, 18:37
On my next trip I am taking around 10 Superfood Slam Pro Bars, my favorite of the bunch.

Absolutely the best.
They are hemp-a-licious

I've been toying with a knock-off recipe all winter.

Next trip will just be overnight and light, so no cooking.
But boiled eggs are good, quick, food value so I'll take those again.

IceAge
07-12-2010, 09:28
It will be a while before my next trip, but please don't forget to take Stove-top stuffing along on your next one.

Mike Way
07-12-2010, 09:32
Try this for breakfast. Quick and filling. Tear up bagels or pita into McCormacks white country gravy.

couscous
07-12-2010, 10:01
If there are 3500 calories in a pound of stored fat, then I'm good for weeks with nothing. But just to be social I'm taking four boxes of Near East Couscous Mixes - Roasted Garlic & Olive Oil, Tomato Basil, Herbed Chicken & Toasted Pine Nut .. four cereal bars and a few 1.5oz Planters Nutrition Heart Healthy Mix packs for a 5-day trip later this week.

ASUGrad
07-12-2010, 15:51
I'm packing an Easy-Bake Oven and will probably stick to the cake.

Actually, Tuna and Salmon. Lipton Cup-A-Soup with extra pasta. Flavored grits. Lots of nuts. Real peanut butter.

msujay
07-12-2010, 18:13
Cinnamon Brown Sugar Mini Bagels + Peanut Butter = good times.

msujay
07-12-2010, 18:14
If there are 3500 calories in a pound of stored fat, then I'm good for weeks with nothing. But just to be social I'm taking four boxes of Near East Couscous Mixes - Roasted Garlic & Olive Oil, Tomato Basil, Herbed Chicken & Toasted Pine Nut .. four cereal bars and a few 1.5oz Planters Nutrition Heart Healthy Mix packs for a 5-day trip later this week.

Well you certainly chose the correct screen name!

russb
07-12-2010, 18:27
Absolutely the best.
They are hemp-a-licious

I've been toying with a knock-off recipe all winter.

Care to share your knock-off recipe?

couscous
07-12-2010, 21:22
Well you certainly chose the correct screen name!

http://www.bsa69.com/easy.jpg

rpenczek
07-13-2010, 15:54
Typical menu for me is:

Breakfast:
2 via coffees
Dried Fruit
and
Begal
Single serve PB
OR
Granola cereal and Nedo in a Freezer bag
OR
Pop tarts

Lunch:
Dried Fruit
and
Jerky
Cliff Bar
Trail Mix
or
Foil tuna
Crackers (1 sleave of saltines)
or
Potted meat
Mayo packets
Tortillia(s)
or
Hard salami
Hard cheese
Crackers

Dinner
Dried Fruit
Crackers (1/2 sleave of saltines)
and
Mountain House Meal
or
Raman and foil or can chicken (hydrated in freezer bag)

Knocky
07-13-2010, 17:08
One stripped MRE each, and one MH meal each.

Fresh fruit, trail mix, Cliff bars, coffee, tea and hot cider.

Doctari
07-13-2010, 18:18
My next 5 day trip in KY:

Day 1
Breakfast on way to trailhead.
Lunch: 3 sweet & salty nut bars from Nature valley & a Snickers bar.
Dinner: 2 Packs of Thai noodles. Like Ramen but better, I found them at Biglots.
Total food cost (on trail) for the day: $4.00

Day 2
Breakfast: 2 - 3 packs instant Grits. "Candy bar"
Lunch: 3 sweet & salty nut bars from Nature valley & a little Debbie apple fritter.
Dinner: 2 packs Thai Noodles
Total food cost for the day: $6.00

Day 3
Breakfast: 3 packs instant grits.
Lunch: 3 little Debbie apple fritters & an oatmeal pie.
Dinner: Dried corn chowder & couscous (I'm adding the couscous to dry mix)
Total food cost for the day: $5.50

Day 4
Breakfast: Grits & a grilled slice of SPAM! OMG the best trail breakfast ever!
lunch: Jerky.
Dinner: YEP, Thai noodles. BTW, I'm carrying 5 different flavors to mix & match as I see fit.
Total food cost for the day: $7.00

Day 5: Whatever I got left for breakfast & lunch, Dinner on the way home, hopefully AYCE Chinese.
Total (on trail) food cost for the day: $3.50 or so.

In 14 years of hiking I have had TWO commercial "Hiking meals". About 80% of the food I hike with is gotten at Big Lots or Family Dollar or Dollar General or similar store. The remaining 20% is at other stores along the trail & rarely a few Large food stores at home (Aldi's near me has shelf stable BACON for way cheap!)

JJJ
07-13-2010, 18:39
Care to share your knock-off recipe?

No problem

Chop all the nuts and dried fruit (cut into pieces as needed), mash the blueberries and blackberries and mix in a large bowl with the dry stuff

CUPS unless noted -7/13/2010 recipe

Mixed Nuts (walnuts, cashews, almonds, etc) 2.75
Rolled oats 6
Rolled rye 1
Sunflower seeds 1
WW Flour 0.5
coconut, shredded 0.75
dark chocolate chips 0.75
sesame seed 1.25
hemp hearts 0.75
milled flax 0.5
wheat bran 0.25
demenara, or unprocessed dry sugar 0.75
apricots, dried 0.5
crasins, dried 0.5
cherries, dried 0.5
dates, dried 0.5
raisins 0.25
Blueberries, fresh or thawed 1
Blackberries, fresh or thawed 1

Put these ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
rice syrup 0.75
maple syrup 0.5
molasses 0.25
honey 0.75
Canola oil 1
toasted sesame 0.125
plain yogart or kefir 1.25
peanut butter 0.5
sunflower butter 0.5
Almond butter 0.5
Vanilla, extract 2 tbls
Water 0.5
fennel powder 0.5 teas
acia powder 0.5 teas
fenugreek powder 0.5 teas
Barley or wheat grass powder 1.5 tbls
Salt 1 teas

Spread a cake ~ 1/2" on parchment and dehydrate
~10hrs @ 145° or until bar-like consistency
(this is the tricky part -working on the "too crumbly" texture but getting there)

Substitute or omit items as seems fitting to your tastes
I have yet to use any hemp oil but I bet it would give it more of that SuperSlam flavor, but even these are delicious.

Omega Man
07-13-2010, 19:19
What about butter? Is there any kind of butter that will last on the trail? I've heard that those squeeze bottles of Parkay or "I can't believe it's not Butter," last quite a while without refrigeration.

JJJ
07-13-2010, 19:37
Butter will last a few days in summer, but to extend the life, turn it into Ghee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZgIN4cZYc&feature=related).

JAK
07-13-2010, 22:01
I would like to try a 5-6 day trip with nothing but oats

not sure why

just for the heck of it I guess

Feral Bill
07-13-2010, 22:05

not sure why

6 days of just oats wouldn't kill you, but you might wish it would before you were through.

garlic08
07-13-2010, 22:20

not sure why

I've actually done this, or close to it. I made a muesli of oats, walnuts, raisins, and added powdered milk and hiked over 100 miles in five days through the High Sierra on the PCT with it. I also brought two jars of peanut butter for fat, because I was already fairly thin from the 800 mile hike leading up to it. It was my first attempt at a stoveless diet. I'll never do it again--I craved other stuff too much. But the muesli remains the staple in my trail diet, at least 25% of the food weight I usually carry. It's great stuff.

I tried it because I met an AT veteran on the PCT who I instantly respected, who said that's all he ate, all the time, on the trail. He finished the PCT and went on to his Triple Crown, on mainly oats and peanut butter as far as I know.

JEBjr
07-14-2010, 10:29
My latest favorite dinner:

a bag of vermicelli, a small can of salsa, olive oil and parmesan

I haven't tried adding chicken yet but that will be the next step!

"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them something more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning."
-
- President Lyndon Baines Johnson

couscous
07-14-2010, 11:28
Dried corn chowder & couscous (I'm adding the couscous to dry mix)

"welcome to the dark side, we have cookies" :D

JAK
07-14-2010, 12:35
I've actually done this, or close to it. I made a muesli of oats, walnuts, raisins, and added powdered milk and hiked over 100 miles in five days through the High Sierra on the PCT with it. I also brought two jars of peanut butter for fat, because I was already fairly thin from the 800 mile hike leading up to it. It was my first attempt at a stoveless diet. I'll never do it again--I craved other stuff too much. But the muesli remains the staple in my trail diet, at least 25% of the food weight I usually carry. It's great stuff.

I tried it because I met an AT veteran on the PCT who I instantly respected, who said that's all he ate, all the time, on the trail. He finished the PCT and went on to his Triple Crown, on mainly oats and peanut butter as far as I know.That's sort of what I have evolved into. I used to pack it separately and mix it to taste but last few trips (short ones) I've just had it all mixed together. Actually I have this big plastic tub up in the cupboard and that's what I have for breakfast most days. I also use it to make fish cakes by adding a can of sardines and an egg. The recipe has changed as it gets low and I add more stuff. Mostly oats though. Stuff I have dumped in over the last few months...

Oats
Skim Milk Powder
Sliced Almonds
Oven Dried Blueberries
Currants
Flax Powder
Sunflower Seeds
Flax Seeds
Spelt Flower

I noticed this morning that it might make sense to give the sunflower seeds a good chewing before swallowing. Must have been in a rush yesterday morning. Also, not sure if flax is a good choice, but it was laying around. The flax seeds probably don't get chewed enough, and the flax powder might not keep as well. I suppose the flax powder would keep for a hiking trip, just not for the cupboard the way I keep dumping in more stuff before its empty. Probably need to let it bottom out at least once a year. lol

JAK
07-14-2010, 13:00
6 days of just oats wouldn't kill you, but you might wish it would before you were through.

I hear you. Big difference between 100% oats diet and even 80% oats diet.
I did a mostly oats winter hike once, and ran out of everything but the oats.
Oats didn't go down so well that last day. Good way to ration though. lol

I think I will try it again though, from the get go, just to see. I can add a little salt, from the ocean here. Also, there are usually some berries this time of year, depending on where you are. Also wood sorrel, and bark or spruce needles and stuff. So there would be some ways and means of adding some flavour and variety, and perhaps some vitamins and minerals, though not much more in the way of calories. For 5-6 days it would be palatable I suppose. I would certainly appreciate whatever I managed to scavenge.

Summer would certainly be the time to experiment with such ideas. I have enough fat on me also, that I could get by with the oats just as kindling. If I was leaner, and fit enough to burn more, it would be much harder if not impossible to stomach 6000 kcal of oats per day. 2000 kcal/day in oats, and another 2000 kcal/day in body fat, considerably more realistic.

Thinking about the Fundy Trek, which is the Dobson Trail combined with the Fundy Footpath, and a connector trail through Fundy National Park, for a total of about 75 miles.

The other thing I've been thinking about lately, more dreaming than anything, would be to canoe/portage to Katahdin directly from my doorstep here in Saint John, by way of the St.John River and the Malecite Trail, and perhaps to return by going back down the Penobscot to Old Town, and right down and then up the shore to return by sea. It would be challenging to conceive of a solo canoe that would be easy to portage, ok for moderate white water both upstream and downstream, and also capable of coastal paddling. My kayak, which I am converting to a more open canoe, is 16' long 24" wide, and paddles well, but is a bit heavy at 60 pounds, and I don't think it would be ok for whitewater. Thinking perhaps 14' x 25-26", and travelling ultralight of course. Keeping the weight down and still being able to handling rocks gets a bit sketchy. Anyhow, it will be a few years before I have the whitewater skills or the 2-3 weeks for one way or 4-5 weeks for round trip, but its something I can dream about and work towards. There are plenty of shorter trips close to home here I can test out my ideas on. The kayak/canoe I have now isn't a bad working prototype. Could use a little more freeboard. lol

thejackal
07-19-2010, 23:02

probars are great but a bit expensive. honey stinger bars are also really good and a bit cheaper than probar. their 20g protein bars also have about 400 calories but more than twice the protein.

http://www.honeystinger.com/index-1.html

also, in terms of premade relatively healthy backpacking meals, i really like packlite foods.

http://www.packlitefoods.com/vegetariankitchen.htm

Chillfactor
08-19-2010, 16:34
I use 1 quart freezer bags, add hot water, and eat out of the bag. Like the store-bought meals only much cheaper, more compact, weighs very little, and less trash to carry. I spice up ramen with Italian seasoning and get mountain spaghetti; dress up instant mashed potatoes with bacon bits; and put dried fruit (raisins, cranberries) in couscous. My new meal is dressing/stuffing with walnuts and cranberries. Packages of tuna and salmon are good to add and peanut butter is packed with protein and good mixed with oatmeal. (It's heavy but I fill small plastic containers and have replacements in mail drops)
I don't use the seasoning packs in ramen and put everything in the freezer bags, so there's no extra trash. Putting taco seasoning in ramen makes mexican ramen and jerky cut up in small pieces is a good in almost anything adding protein and bulk.
Google: freezer bag meals. This will get you started. Be creative. Worked well for me. And, anything tastes good when you're hungry on the trail.

couscous
08-19-2010, 16:53
.. put dried fruit (raisins, cranberries) in couscous.

Excellent, I like raisins & cranberries! :D

leaftye
08-19-2010, 21:12
I'm doing powdered meals. Whey protein, oat muscle and EFA. I may add some Nido and Emergen-C too.

mtnkngxt
08-19-2010, 21:20
Breakfast: Packit Gourmet Shake

Lunch: Cliff Bar

Snack: Gorp

Dinner: Hawk Vittles meals and then either a snicker bar or Cliff Bar for dinner

Hot Chocolate for a before bed warm up.

BrianLe
08-19-2010, 23:32
The OP's question was:

"What is everyone packing for meals for your next trip? MRE's, freeze drired crud or something else?"

For this year's trip I had resolved to keep things simpler, focusing on stuff I can find in supermarkets and even in gas station mini-marts, sharply limiting how many resupply boxes I would need. This worked out very well --- at least on the AT --- but I'm inclined to go mostly the same way for my long trip next year, though perhaps with a few more resupply boxes (just due to variations in trail resupply options of one trail vs. another).

So pretty easy: breakfast and lunch meals are mostly the same sort of generic hiker crap: hot chocolate mix (drunk cold), gorp, jerky, dried fruit, trail bars, plus local variations as available like triscuits, pringles. Lots and lots of crystal light individual serving packages. For dinner one of the old standards of dried potatoes, ramen, or Knorr sides, with olive oil and TVP. Maybe on occasion something cold like a tuna packet and some sort of crackers, but I'm still not ready to join the cold dinner crowd, though perhaps someday I could even be lured to that ultimate "dark side" stance too, who knows!

Then, of course, pig out whenever in town to compensate for a limited and boring (but dead simple) trail diet.

Sarcasm the elf
08-19-2010, 23:38
I'm doing powdered meals. Whey protein, oat muscle and EFA. I may add some Nido and Emergen-C too.

That's disturbingly similar to what Seth Green's character packed for food in Without a Paddle...

leaftye
08-20-2010, 01:12
That's disturbingly similar to what Seth Green's character packed for food in Without a Paddle...

I haven't seen it. How'd it go?

RGB
08-20-2010, 03:59
I will be experimenting with Ramen for a thruhike of indiana's 140mile Knobstone trail. It is appealing because it is so light (as i will be carrying 8 night's worth of food) but the nutrional value is.. well.. scary. I think I will be bringing along some freeze dried veggies to add in, maybe some beans. Any one else have some suggestions for "beefing up" ramen? im not picky so... worms? ;)

www.justtomatoes.com (http://www.justtomatoes.com) <this stuff is great!

The last ramen expirament I conducted included:

Ramen w/o the packet
Jack Links Original Jerky
Dried red chillies from India
Pumpkin seeds

If it sounds like I was just throwing random ***** in, it's because I pretty much was. But it tasted great!

Marta
08-20-2010, 07:00
Timely for me to look in on this thread this morning, since I'm planning for the weekend.

One of our favorites: Rudi's raisin bread and almond butter sandwiches

I'll second (third, fourth, or whatever) muesli with powdered milk.

A great camping food we took on our recent hike in Finland was powdered fruit soup. It was da bomb as a post-hike drink.

I also usually take along some black licorice.

As a nightcap, Firefly iced tea. Koskenkorva with salmiakki (salt licorice) disolved in it.

Egads
08-20-2010, 07:13
Taking Mary Jane meals, probars, PB&J, and trail mix for a week in the Brooks Mtns

fredmugs
08-20-2010, 08:21

I'm preparing my food bags and will be taking:
** small nalgene(pint?)of eggless mayonnaise

A nalgene bottle full of mayonnaise? I don't know if that's awesome or disgusting.

I keep it real simple - mostly because I'm not a big food connoisseur and I find that I do not eat very much compared to other hikers. For a typical 15 - 20 mile hike day I will bring:

1 MetRx Meal Replacement Bar. 450 calories, 14g of fat
1 Dehydrated meal of some sort. 600 calories, maybe 8g of fat
1 Snickers almond bar. 250 calores and 11g of fat
1 Ziplock sandwich bag with trail mix lots of calories and fat
2 Small granola bars

Big Dawg
08-20-2010, 20:24
For a trip mid-October from Atkins to Pearisburg.....

Breakfasts: granola/powdered milk
Snacks: candy bars, fritos
Lunches: dry-cured sausage, cheese, crackers, candy bar
Dinners: Hawk Vittles

Sarcasm the elf
08-20-2010, 23:38
I haven't seen it. How'd it go?

It was kind of far fetched, they ended up catching salmon with a flashlight.

Tenderheart
08-21-2010, 11:06
In 2011, I'll not be carrying my little Trangia, so I'll be eating a lot of bars and pop tarts. I can go forever on peanut butter and flour tortillas. Not the corn ones.

litefoot 2000

MkBibble
08-21-2010, 11:21
The last ramen expirament I conducted included:

Ramen w/o the packet
Jack Links Original Jerky
Dried red chillies from India
Pumpkin seeds

If it sounds like I was just throwing random ***** in, it's because I pretty much was. But it tasted great!

Try ramen with honey. YUM. fast and easy. don't use the flavor pack... ;-)

Bare Bear
08-23-2010, 11:31
I add all kinds of stuff to Ramen: BBQ sauce (Sonnys packets leftovers) Jerky, tuna, chicken packet, etc. I agree that 1/2 half the Ramen 'spice-flavor packet' is better than the whole thing.