PDA

View Full Version : Which direction do you put your head when sleeping in shelters?

Rain Man
11-09-2004, 18:14
I realized that all the thru-hikers I could think of sleep with their feet towards the open end of shelters. Section hikers I know seem to sleep either way. I sleep with my head towards the open end of shelters.

Which direction do you sleep? And why?
:sun
Rain Man

The Solemates
11-09-2004, 18:16
I always sleep with my feet towards the open end of the shelters. That way, my fleece (or whatever I use as a pillow) does not fall off the end of the bunk, causing me to have to fetch it in the middle of the night. If it becomes dislodged from under my head while my feet are towards the open end, I only have to reach over and grab it and place it back where I want it.

littledragon
11-09-2004, 18:17
When I've used a shelter, I put my head toward the open end. I am a little claustrophobic- I breathe better that way.

SAR-EMT40
11-09-2004, 18:26
I have my feet at the opening. I figure if anything wants to grab me while I am sleeping I'd rather it starts at my feet then my head. :)

Keith

tribes
11-09-2004, 18:43
Feet smell while hiking for extended periods. Best to sleep with them towards the open air.

stickat04
11-09-2004, 18:52
I am with littledragon, I can breathe better with head at open end.

steve hiker
11-09-2004, 18:58
Jumble Jowls likes to look outside at night at the trees and moon beams and snow flakes and bears that are coming to eat him :eek: so he sleeps with his head near the outside.

grrickar
11-09-2004, 19:53
I sleep with my head towards the opening. I can get more air that way, which is important when your shelter mates haven't bathed in weeks, or if they had a protein rich meal that night. ;)

I usually sleep on the bottom rack in the double decker shelters, and I found on my last section hike that the mice didn't seem as bad that way. They ran around my feet, but not around my head. My theory is that mice like to stay next to the walls of the shelter.

If I slept with my head towards the inside of the shelter (feet outward) the mice ran past my head all night, so I switched.

It didn't stop one of the the little bastages from standing on my head at Derrick's Knob Shelter though. Everyone else had mice issues that night, but besides the one that crawled atop my head I didn't have any. I think sleeping with my head facing the outside of the shelter helped.

In fact, most people in the shelters we stayed at slept with their head facing out.

SalParadise
11-10-2004, 00:54
I sleep with my head toward the wall in the cold weather because the mice aren't out yet and particularly to avoid any cold breezes. In summer, my head is toward the open to catch the cooler breezes and to somewhat avoid the mice running at the back of the shelter.......or I just sleep whichever way everyone else is.

Mr. Clean
11-10-2004, 07:18
I sleep with my head to the outside so I can see the stars, moon, and any critters that might be around. I was always curious that most sleep head in.

Peaks
11-10-2004, 08:28
Some say sleep with your head towards the open part of the shelter because the mice run along the back or closed part of the shelter, except in New England where the porkies come in the open part of the shelter.

Jaybird
11-10-2004, 09:05
when sleepin' in a shelter...i ALWAYS sleep head toward the outside!
one reason is the same as PEAKS (above)BUT,...the main reason (for me)...

is i LOVE the smell of the fresh, air....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
:D

Kerosene
11-10-2004, 09:17
Good reasons posted for sleeping in various positions, but almost everyone I've ever slept with in a lean-to has their feet pointing outward. I think it's kind of like elevators where everyone faces the door.

Forrest Phil
11-10-2004, 09:49
I sleep feet towards the outside also, except in the Smokies. I always keep my head outside further away from the mice.

Toolshed
11-10-2004, 09:52
Rule of thumb for me is head in feet out. However, a lot depends on the shelter - Poor shape or filthy, head out (or tent). If a rep for a lotta mice problems, then Head out as well. I also don; twant to risk breathing any bacteria from their droppings.

Characteristics of mice are that when they move they like to keep guard whiskers touching one object (why you rarely see them in the middle of the shelter) usually along a wall or beam. Also, many times saince they come out
in the back corners common senese dictates that you might be in their path.

If alone in a 3-sided shelter I luxuriate and sleep lengthwise in the middle of it.

Youngblood
11-10-2004, 10:54
I've slept different ways at various times. If it is cold, windy, rainy and not much roof overhang, I will sleep with my feet toward the open end and maybe use plastic to keep rain off my sleeping bag. I think if shelters are packed that it is easier to sleep with your feet toward the open end of the shelter... because it is easier getting in/out.

Youngblood

MOWGLI
11-10-2004, 11:00
I've slept different ways at various times. If it is cold, windy, rainy and not much roof overhang, I will sleep with my feet toward the open end and maybe use plastic to keep rain off my sleeping bag. I think if shelters are packed that it is easier to sleep with your feet toward the open end of the shelter... because it is easier getting in/out.

Youngblood

Once in a shelter, I usually hang my dirty clothes above Youngblood and then get as far away from him as possible.

As far as a direction for sleeping, I like my head sticking out.

Skyline
11-10-2004, 11:08
Only used seven shelters while completing the whole A.T., preferring to tent. But those seven times my head was in the outside position for the reasons others noted above.

Maybe it's that tent mentality? Who would sleep with their head down at the back end? (Assuming the tent is a Clip Flashlight-type design, not one with side entry.)

Doctari
11-10-2004, 12:41
I usually sleep with my head uphill. No matter if it's toward the opening or back of the shelter. Sometimes I like my feet elevated, but not often.

Mostly now, I stay away from shelters. Can sleep & snore however I want :)

Doctari.

Haiku
11-10-2004, 23:20
I started out sleeping with my head at the back of the shelter (it's easier to raise your head and look out, and there's perhaps a sense of security with your head near a wall), but soon realised the mice run along the walls. After a few times of mice running across my head I started sleeping with my head facing out. Of course, if you get another hiker right next to you, that means your head is next to their feet, so choose your hiking position accordingly.

Haiku.

Footslogger
11-11-2004, 17:32
On warm nights I prefer to sleep with my head towards the shelter opening. On cold nights I would rather get my head in out of the draft and so I sleep "head in".

No magic or rocket science there. Try em both and see what you like.

'Slogger
AT 2003

ffstenger
12-22-2004, 02:48
I sleep with my head out toward the open end. Mice and critters tend to run along the walls and back of the shelter and I don't like to be woke up by little feet running across my face.... Showme.

roadrunner625
03-11-2005, 13:07
I always like to sleep in the upper bunk. If a bear decides to enter during the night, I figure that he's going after the easy food first (bottom level hikers). That being said, being on the upper level, if I sit up at night and the roof of the shelter slopes toward the back, I don't want to wake up, sit up and get knocked back out by banging my head on the ceiling. There's more headroom at the open end of the shelter.

The Cheat
03-11-2005, 15:43
I always like to sleep in the upper bunk. If a bear decides to enter during the night, I figure that he's going after the easy food first (bottom level hikers).
Well, if there was a bear maitre'd there he might offer his favored patrons something from the top shelf.

:jump

RockyTrail
03-11-2005, 15:44
Good reasons posted for sleeping in various positions, but almost everyone I've ever slept with in a lean-to has their feet pointing outward. I think it's kind of like elevators where everyone faces the door.I've done this a few times just to see people squirm:D
(i.e. face the people in the elevator instead of the door). Better yet, when the door closes say "I'm glad you all could make it to the meeting today" then watch how fast they bolt when the door opens!:) hee hee

I like head towards the opening, away from those mice scurrying along the wall.

Nightwalker
03-12-2005, 00:18
Cold - Head in.
Hot - Head out.

Uncle Wayne
03-14-2005, 02:24
Wow! I've been section hiking the AT since '96 and have never seen anyone sleep with their head toward the wall. I was expecting a run away vote for head out!

We've always slept head out for the sole reason of mice along the back wall. But at Hawk Mountain Shelter Tripper had one run across her head in the upper level so as others have said, that doesn't always work.

To each his on I guess.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-14-2005, 07:23
My head is never less than 100 yds from a shelter

Buckingham
08-11-2005, 00:33
Now that I have my Hennessy, I'll never sleep in a shelter again!!!!

Unless it rips.

Or I forget to pack it.

Or if it's a really cool lookin' shelter.

Come to think of it, I could change my mind altogether.
Like James Bond never said, "Never say never again.".
:banana