PDA

View Full Version : Would I be starting too late?

becky27
07-11-2010, 15:45
I graduate from college during the second week of May in 2012. I was planning on doing my thru-hike right after. I've heard that most people start in late march-april. Would I be starting too late? I'm not a very experienced hiker, which worries me a little about starting late. Any advice?

Luddite
07-11-2010, 16:06
No, you're not starting too late but, depending on your mileage, half way through your hike you might decide to go to katahdin and hike south to where you got off. Baxter state park closes around October 15 I think. That would give you a little over 5 months.

johnnybgood
07-11-2010, 16:58
Hiking SoBo (starting in Baxter St. Park) would give you the time you need to finish. If you want to be in company with more experienced hikers then going SoBo is more logical.

However ;

If you have your heart set on hiking NoBo , then I say hike it as far as you can in 5 months and finish the trail where you stepped off another time.

Starting NoBo from Damascus after Trail Days (Mid May) could also be another option . Hiking with others ,and there WILL be plenty , would help ease your anxiety and give you some companionship.

bigcranky
07-11-2010, 17:10
Several options:

1. Start at Springer and hike north. You have about 4.5 months to get to Katahdin before mid-October, which is the traditional time that northbound thru-hikers need to finish. That's a quick hike, but doable by a strong hiker who starts in good shape. One major advantage of starting in late May is that you won't need heavy winter gear, so you'll start with a lighter pack.

2. Start and Springer and hike north, and in early August get a ride to Maine, climb Katahdin, and hike south to wherever you were when you flipped. Advantage: no deadline. Good weather in New England.

3. Wait a few weeks and do a southbound hike. Advantage: no need to flip. All downhill, too. <g>

4. Start at Harper's Ferry in late May and hike North to Katahdin, then get a ride back to HF and hike south to Springer. Advantage: you'll start with the thru-hikers (though you won't be able to keep up, most likely), and get to climb Katahdin at the end of the first half, then hike in the South in really nice fall weather. Finish by Thanksgiving and impress your family by eating a whole turkey.

You can make up all sorts of other options, but these give you some starting places.

Good luck.

emerald
07-11-2010, 17:18
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805565/k.67EA/Alternative_Itineraries.htm (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805565/k.67EA/Alternative_Itineraries.htm)

Consider an alternative itinerary. The middle States in the summer months can be quite warm. Harpers Ferry to Katahdin followed by the remainder in either direction might be a better option than a traditional terminous-to-terminous hike.