PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody lose a tent this weekend?

kanga
07-11-2010, 17:23
Near roan? Because I found it and would like to give it back to you.

Toolshed
07-11-2010, 19:59
Like Duhhhh...... Could you please identify it so I can tell you if it's mine.... :-?

kanga
07-11-2010, 21:32
Sure! It's nylon and it's been cleverly sewn together with thread. Oh yeah. There's some metal stakes with it too. Hope this helps you!

Skidsteer
07-11-2010, 21:46

Gray Blazer
07-11-2010, 23:27
Was it an Ozark Trail? That's the only tent I find on the trail.

That's pretty classy of you to try to return it.

docllamacoy
07-15-2010, 10:50
Hi Beth! :)

(aka Leslie O'Dell)

kanga
07-15-2010, 14:31
hey llama! when are you coming back this way? didn't you move closer?

Old Hiker
07-15-2010, 22:41
Sure! It's nylon and it's been cleverly sewn together with thread. Oh yeah. There's some metal stakes with it too. Hope this helps you!

What? No poles? Can't be mine then.

kanga
07-16-2010, 07:06
What? No poles? Can't be mine then.

Oh I forgot! It has poles!

Toolshed
07-16-2010, 07:56
Wow, That sounds more and more like mine. Was this one that you found all set up or all packed up. If it was packed up it was probably mine.....

Hooch
07-16-2010, 07:57
What's the inseam? Oh, wait, wrong thread. :rolleyes::D

Toolshed
07-16-2010, 07:58
The only way I can really tell though is if you send me a picture of it. you should tape it (the picture) to a hundred dollar bill so I know you are authentic.

Toolshed
07-16-2010, 08:00
What's the inseam? Oh, wait, wrong thread. :rolleyes::D
That line will never grow old......:D

Cedar Tree
07-16-2010, 17:49
Kanga, I commend you for packing out a tent. On a section hike just south of Sam's gap earlier this year I came upon not 1 but 2 tents on the trail. This was about mid March, so the snow was still pretty deep. There had been a big snow a night or two before. The first tent was a big Wenzel, soaking wet. I always inspect gear I find to see if I might want it. I couldn't find anything wrong with the tent, but it was too big, wet and heavy for me to take, so I just took the stuff sack. A couple miles later I came upon a whole camp site which had been obviously abandoned in a hurry. There was a tent, sleeping bag and lots of other gear too. The sleeping bag was an Eddie Baurer down bag, very nice, but soaked and way too heavy for me scavenge. Further down the trail I met 2 guys going south. They told me they were going to retrieve the gear of a friend who got wet and cold the night before and walked out leaving everything behind. He left a camera, phone and everything else he didn't need to walk out. He left in the middle of the night according to them. The camera and phone were gone by the time I got there. They said he was a newbie to hiking, and that was his first (and last I suspect) hiking trip. It is amazing sometimes what you find on the trail.
Cedar Tree

Razor
07-16-2010, 18:07
This must be like the tent I found at Stover Creek .I packed it up,packed it out,and placed it in the first dumster wher it belonged along with the other 20 items they left?

kanga
07-16-2010, 20:22
Kanga, I commend you for packing out a tent. On a section hike just south of Sam's gap earlier this year I came upon not 1 but 2 tents on the trail. This was about mid March, so the snow was still pretty deep. There had been a big snow a night or two before. The first tent was a big Wenzel, soaking wet. I always inspect gear I find to see if I might want it. I couldn't find anything wrong with the tent, but it was too big, wet and heavy for me to take, so I just took the stuff sack. A couple miles later I came upon a whole camp site which had been obviously abandoned in a hurry. There was a tent, sleeping bag and lots of other gear too. The sleeping bag was an Eddie Baurer down bag, very nice, but soaked and way too heavy for me scavenge. Further down the trail I met 2 guys going south. They told me they were going to retrieve the gear of a friend who got wet and cold the night before and walked out leaving everything behind. He left a camera, phone and everything else he didn't need to walk out. He left in the middle of the night according to them. The camera and phone were gone by the time I got there. They said he was a newbie to hiking, and that was his first (and last I suspect) hiking trip. It is amazing sometimes what you find on the trail.
Cedar Tree

Thank you! Law, I might have had to suck it up for that Eddie bauer bag! I dried out the tent the night I got there so it wouldn't weigh 500 lbs on the way back out. It's a really nice tent and it's brand spanking new, probably it's first nigt in the woods!:eek: somebody's got to be missing this tent!

kanga
07-16-2010, 20:24
This must be like the tent I found at Stover Creek .I packed it up,packed it out,and placed it in the first dumster wher it belonged along with the other 20 items they left?

Ooh no! Not like that! If nobody claims this tent, I'm a-keepin' it!:D

ebandlam
07-16-2010, 20:40
I am asking this question out of ignorance - so if it sounds stupid, forgive me. :o

What is the etiquette on things left on the trail? for example, if i leave stuff on the trail with the intention of coming back, what do I do? :confused:

On one hand I don't want stuff left on the trail too long - because it is unsightly and becomes litter, but it is not a free for all either. Right? Isn't there a fine line between picking up litter and scavenging?

kanga
07-16-2010, 20:51
If you are leaving something with the intention of coming back to get it, then hide it so it doesn't get taken. I personally think somebody that leaves their stuff unattended is a dumbass. You are asking for your stuff to get gone. I could understand maybe if you're injured.
If you are leaving something because you are lazy, I think you should be shot in the ass with a bb gun that has been pumped 13 times.

Razor
07-17-2010, 16:24
Go Kanga Go! No one should ever leave Gear on the trail. It then becomes trash!I had a real interesting conversation with a newbe at Hawk Mtn this spring about there is no such thing as a hiker box @ the shelters.There is no way to manage the trash ,much less the gear people seem to want to leave.As you plan your hike ,pack it in --pack it out. And have a good hike

Doctari
07-17-2010, 21:38
Was it an Ozark Trail? That's the only tent I find on the trail.

That's pretty classy of you to try to return it.

OK, that's weird, of the 3 tents I have found abandoned (they were all still set up & empty, obviously for quite a while, so not forgotten.) 2 were Ozark Trails.

Cool AT Breeze
07-17-2010, 21:45
OK, that's weird, of the 3 tents I have found abandoned (they were all still set up & empty, obviously for quite a while, so not forgotten.) 2 were Ozark Trails.
Cheap Malwart crap people consiter disposable.

TrailSquirrel
07-17-2010, 22:07
It is amazing sometimes what you find on the trail.
Cedar Tree

Found or unattended?

gungho
07-18-2010, 01:53
kanga...............thanks for finding my tent..........i was wandering what happened to it

docllamacoy
07-19-2010, 10:48
hey llama! when are you coming back this way? didn't you move closer?
In eastern NC, at Fort Bragg. Too far away from the mountains, in my opinion. Looks like we'll be moving back to the Whites in NH in March 2011 when Doc gets out of the Army. So.... free place for you stay if you want to venture up for some hiking. :)
I'll be in Athens the weekend of Oct. 24th for the Athens, Georgia Half Marathon.

kanga
07-19-2010, 10:54
let's go get a beer!

whitecrow
07-19-2010, 12:31
old tents make great fire starters, even in the rain. All that oil just won't stop burning.

Gray Blazer
07-19-2010, 14:10
kanga...............thanks for finding my tent..........i was wandering what happened to it

I know why you couldn't find your tent. (wink wink)