PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Hikers: 2011

Megapixel
07-11-2010, 20:59
Hello to all!

My wife and I are locked in now to thru hike in 2011 and after much deliberation are leaning very heavily towards a MEGA hike beginning at or slightly before 7-1. It's a decision based on the hike experience of going south, + the added benefit of saving extra money for a few months vs. a NOBO. Having enough patience once the season rolls around in March will be difficult to wait until July, but I think it's the best thing for us.

Just thought I'd start this thread to get to know some of you who will be heading the same direction as us! Very excited now as we are under a year away :banana

on_the_GOEZ
07-11-2010, 22:52
Glad I saw this thread! I had originally planned on hiking NoBo but am now leaning towards a SoBo because of a late start date and I think it would be a great(er) journey. Money is not an issue but I would prefer to be away from most of the crowds, however Im sure i will get to know some great people!

I plan on leaving in early June, probably the first week. Why are you (all) going Southbound?

DLANOIE
07-11-2010, 22:57
Congrats on your decision to hike SOBO(my fav. way to go). I remember back when I thru hiked having to wait those last few months. It was torture! But worth it. Good luck!

on_the_GOEZ
07-11-2010, 23:04
Congrats on your decision to hike SOBO(my fav. way to go). I remember back when I thru hiked having to wait those last few months. It was torture! But worth it. Good luck!
What for you makes a SOBO hike your favorite way to go?

Megapixel
07-12-2010, 14:44
I plan on leaving in early June, probably the first week. Why are you (all) going Southbound?

We are going SOBO to miss the crowds, to avoid some of the summer heat of the PA and VA, to see ME, NE, & VT first in case something goes bad and we can't finish... we have seen a good bit of the southern half of the trail.

Megapixel
07-12-2010, 14:44
Thanks DLANOIE. We are very content with this decision, and are eagerly anticipating the hike!

thelowend
07-13-2010, 09:05
SOBO 11 here as well. Plan on starting as soon as they will let me up Katahdin. I am beyond excited...

Nest
07-17-2010, 23:13
I'm going SOBO because I've already done the other way twice and I want to see what all the hype is about. Figure it will feel like a different trail going this way, have more money saved up, and smaller crowds. Plus I am hiking because I hate work and need something to do until I do the CDT with my friend in 2012. So a SOBO will give me less spare time between the two hikes so I can't get in as much trouble waiting for the next hiking season to start.

Dr Gonzo
07-20-2010, 15:33
I as well am planing a 2011 SOBO thur hike. I hiked from VT-VA On the AT in the summer of 09 and have been planing sence. For everyone planing on leaving for a SOBO thru-hike in June I would push it back till around July 1st. Unless you like hiking with swarms of black flys, not to mention the river crossings and bitter cold nights. Trust me, you will have plenty of time and enjoy the start of your trip that much more. GOOD LUCK to all!!!

Helios
08-22-2010, 07:49
I'm planning a SOBO flip/flop hike starting June 20th. I'll hike South to Harpers Ferry, then ride the train down to GA and hike back. I live near Harpers and this will make it easier for my family to be there when I finish.

All in all the direction doesn't really matter. It's the journey and accomplishment that I'm looking to experience.

slugger
08-23-2010, 15:58
My roommate and I will be going SOBO starting late June! Maybe we will bump into you guys.

thepitts
09-16-2010, 10:17
My friend and I are heading SOBO sometime around the 12th to 18th of June(Pumped!), hope to see some of you guys there!

myotheralt
10-21-2010, 05:30
I am planning on a SOBO hike because I cant gat out of classes mid term. The spring term ends close enough to the Katahdin open season that I can start there. Also, I would not be able to get to Maine except by running the whole way if I started that late from Georgia.

atmosphere
10-22-2010, 08:03
I am planning a SOBO hike starting early July. I'm trying to avoid all the crowds, but I hope to meet some great people out there.

slugger
11-19-2010, 02:37
So what campgrounds do you guys plan on staying at before/after going up Big K.

Also What trail do you plan on Taking up big K?

Jujube7
11-20-2010, 20:27
SOBO mid to late June! I can't wait :)

Sterling
11-30-2010, 17:33
sobo june 11-18. counting down the days

Tucky
11-30-2010, 18:03
SOBO starting sometime around the first week in July. Pretty much going south because I finish graduate school in June. Planning on staying two nights at Khatadin Stream campground. Looking forward to starting this journey and meeting you all!

Mismatch
11-30-2010, 18:22
SOBO looking at a mid june start date.

So much dreaming and planning, and now the months are winding down.

Can't wait.

wvgrinder
12-03-2010, 22:48
I've just decided to go SOBO in 2011. My original plan was to hike NOBO from Harper's Ferry to Katahdin. I hiked from Springer to WV years ago & I was just looking to complete the AT.

Well, the new plan is to start in ME and just keep on walking to GA. :banana

wvgrinder
12-03-2010, 22:54
So what campgrounds do you guys plan on staying at before/after going up Big K.

Also What trail do you plan on Taking up big K?

I have the same question.

Fain
12-17-2010, 14:24
Planning a solo SOBO starting early-mid June. Anyone have more info on the black fly season up there? River crossings don't worry me.

Also, if anybody in NC/TN/VA is interested in training with me this spring, I will be doing lots of work in Linville Gorge and up on Grandfather Mtn.

Sterling
12-21-2010, 15:47
The black fly season in the north woods as you have heard can be pretty brutal. Ive spent most of my summers up there, and the minute you step out of the car there will be multiple flies bothering you. They seem to occur more in sunny spots, but they do die down as the sun sets. Im planning on buying a head net to use when they get unbearable. In my opinion its not something to let ruin your hike, or determine when you start. Glad to see another early mid-June start by the way. Im shooting for the 12th -18th.

Stiner
12-21-2010, 16:14
First post here. I'm getting married in June and my wife and I will be starting a SOBO hike in late June/early July. Probably going to start just south of New Hampshire and go all the way through Georgia. I'm also curious as to why some people prefer hiking SOBO? I'm only doing it because the wedding forces us to a later start date.

Reid
12-21-2010, 18:34
SOBO is just another way to go as far as I'm concerned. I myself had rather be in the south once any form of cold weather hits. I'm really not sure yet how it'll all work out but come July I will be on the A.T. somewhere.

littlefoot33
12-24-2010, 16:05
I will also be SOBOing, most likely starting mid-June. Due to a college schedule, a NOBO attempt would have to be super rushed and just didn't seem worth it. So SOBO it is!

:-)

littlefoot33
12-24-2010, 16:17
I have the same question.

I dayhiked Katahdin this past summer to kind of check out the territory. We drove 8 hrs overnight to get there, hiked up the Abol Trail (6:30 am) and came down the Hunt Trail (done by 4:30 pm). It'll be much harder carting along 10 days worth of food, etc., but I intend to take that route again. It was a nice walk and I don't really like the idea of backtracking.

One thing I made a mental note of was don't put your sleeping pad on the bottom of your pack, because coming down the Hunt Trail we did a lot of sliding on our butts and my foam pad would be shredded to smithereens! (As you can tell, my technical climbing skills are excellent...NOT!)

Tuxedo
12-30-2010, 20:07
It'll be much harder carting along 10 days worth of food, etc.,

You can leave your pack at the ranger station and use a small daypack they provide when you sign in.

Blissful
12-30-2010, 20:17
We stayed at Katahdin Stream before and after our hike up the big K. Need to reserve your spots ahead of time. We went up the Abol and down the Hunt. Took us 10 hours, had sleet and hail on the mtn.

I can tell you that leaving after July 1 will be tough to complete the trail before the snows and cold unless you are conscientious about hiking and limiting zeros = and can also do the first part of the trail faster than most did this past year.

Courage
01-03-2011, 13:45
Planning a solo SOBO starting early-mid June. Anyone have more info on the black fly season up there? River crossings don't worry me.

Also, if anybody in NC/TN/VA is interested in training with me this spring, I will be doing lots of work in Linville Gorge and up on Grandfather Mtn.

I'm going SOBO mid-June as well; recently decided against a NOBO because of graduation. I go to school i SE VA; not sure how far that is from Linville Gorge.

Chickn
01-09-2011, 22:50
Kind of disappointed to have to start later but going sobo will let me get my finances in order and avoid larger crowds. I'll be on top of Katahdin the second they let me up, screw the black flies I'm way too excited.

vikcicle
01-10-2011, 16:39
I ETS from the Army on May 11th. But I will be waiting in Maine for the word that baxter is open on June first!

hobbs
01-11-2011, 02:26
Iam doing a NoBo flip flop Live right here off the trail and want to see the trail in opposite directions and it makes more sence for me to fiinish at home.

kreate
01-12-2011, 19:55
starting my SOBO the second week of June! WOOT!!

Kel, the "Stickman"
01-12-2011, 20:32
First post here. I'm getting married in June and my wife and I will be starting a SOBO hike in late June/early July. Probably going to start just south of New Hampshire and go all the way through Georgia. I'm also curious as to why some people prefer hiking SOBO? I'm only doing it because the wedding forces us to a later start date.

Early congrats on the upcoming wedding! You will certainly get to know each other during your hike!

I attempted in 2007, completing 800 miles SOBO. Started June 1st in Southern Maine, (heading North), then flipped back SOBO after reaching Katahdin. I had plenty of trail support in ME, NH, VT, so took advantage and started SOBO. Not for everybody, but I enjoyed it immensely. If you need any help up this way (Maine), let me know. Good luck, God Bless!

Blissful
01-12-2011, 20:59
Finishing my SOBO this April - just need to do PA and MD

Delta-Dawn
01-15-2011, 22:34
Hi! I'm starting SOBO the first week of July; tentatively planning for a 7/6 start date. I'll be hiking with my partner, my 11 year old daughter. :)

paradoxnomad
01-18-2011, 06:45
I'm SOBOing mid june (hopefully the 16th). Staying at the AT Lodge the night before and then headed to the big K that morning. Not sure what trail to take up, any suggestions?

mam2372
01-18-2011, 09:46
I will be SOBO in late July due to a wedding and other things going on. will start around the 25th or 26th of July. I still need/like a partner, PM me if interested.

on_the_GOEZ
01-18-2011, 14:43
I still need/like a partner, PM me if interested.

A friend and I will be headed to K around that same time as well. Feel Free to join us!

ajakob88
01-19-2011, 01:49
My name is Andrew I am hiking with a buddy from high school. we plan to leave mid june once I graduate. Going SOBO because of the timing but I'm sure I will meet wonderful people on the trail! I cant wait and look forward to seeing everyone out there

Larry Dean
01-19-2011, 19:17
SOBO mid June. Will be walking home to Georgia! Can't wait.

davenc
01-22-2011, 01:52
I am leaning towards a SOBO in 2011. i am very amateur and in no way prepared as far as gear goes at this point. I am in decent shape. Now, as far as money goes..and maybe Ill find a topic that covers this as I continue looking around the site...but what kind of money am I needing to have saved for a thru hike?

hobbs
01-22-2011, 03:18
I am leaning towards a SOBO in 2011. i am very amateur and in no way prepared as far as gear goes at this point. I am in decent shape. Now, as far as money goes..and maybe Ill find a topic that covers this as I continue looking around the site...but what kind of money am I needing to have saved for a thru hike?
To your left under home page....Read the articles about a thru hiike and the cost one as well....Also look at eh Article by SGT Rock on gear...That should be a good start for you...Also start a thread if you cant find answer...Cannt hurt but its a place for you to start...Also read some Trailjournals of thru hikers who made it and the weather they encountered..It will help you in your decisions...

Papa D
01-22-2011, 09:55
SOBOS are a proud little crew - you will find that the whole trail, trail - town expetations, hostels, data book, even blazes are pretty much set up with the NOBO in mind so sometimes you have to work a little harder to figure it all out - the south also can seem a little cold, gray, and lonely since there is not a big "thru-hiker-pack" as with NOBOS - there is definately the opportunity for more solitude and harmony with nature, there is not nearly the problem with shelter crowding and the South can be just beautiful in late Summer and early Fall. The SOBO crew becomes a really tight knit little crowd too - without offending anyone (I hope) SOBOS think of each other as more purposeful, proud, and determined clan of rebels (almost) - think of it as a much smaller, but closer, and even more kindred brotherhood and sisterhood. I southbounded right out of high school and did so mainly because my start date (June, '85) was pretty much set - this made a MEGA hike much more plausible to me at the time and it was a life-changing experience. I often do long 2-3 week section hikes north and south, but if I Thru-Hike again (and I may) I would go NOBO. As always, YOU hike YOUR OWN hike.

EBC
01-22-2011, 16:33
I am planning to NOBO from harper's ferry in June, then flop SOBO for a Springer finish in November. Any one else done this? Looking forward to seeing you all out there!

emcanul38
01-23-2011, 13:38
SOBO 2011!!! Starting mid-June and still looking for a partner

KUNU
01-24-2011, 00:11
My name is Mike and I'm graduating in May so my friends Aaron and Nick from high school will be heading on a SOBO thru starting on June 15th (if all goes according to plan). We're some pretty crazy dudes who liked to have a good time :banana, and I personally cannot wait to get this thing started (it has consumed me and is basically all I can think about day and night). It seems like a lot of people are leaving right around the same time so I look forward to meeting lots of cool new people and hopefully getting a good crew together for this awesome adventure. If anyone is looking for other people to start with on June 15th just PM me and we can figure everything out.

slugger
01-24-2011, 16:28
Can't wait! Flying to main on the 16th. Talked to the Appalachian Trail Lodge to sign up for the special and I'm finalizing my trails to head up big k. CAN'T WAIT!

Blissful
01-24-2011, 16:33

Around $4,000

Blissful
01-24-2011, 16:35
I am planning to NOBO from harper's ferry in June, then flop SOBO for a Springer finish in November. Any one else done this? Looking forward to seeing you all out there!

Met several that did it in 2010 and some that finished. Go for it

ajakob88
01-25-2011, 21:22
Going SOBO and cant decide what degree of bag I will need. Leaving mid-june, I Figure I could get away with a higher degree bag than NOBO hikers because it will be warmer in the South, any thoughts?

So Far
01-25-2011, 21:26
The further North u get the more most things cost so im not sure why u think you'll save more money going sobo....anywho best of luck and enjoy. My trip last year was the gretest experience.

naturejunkie
01-26-2011, 15:14
Going SOBO and cant decide what degree of bag I will need. Leaving mid-june, I Figure I could get away with a higher degree bag than NOBO hikers because it will be warmer in the South, any thoughts?

It can get very cold in Maine, even in June. Also, chances are that the end of your hike will be quite cold.

MrMuscle(?)
01-28-2011, 09:24
SOBO early July 2011! Coming all the way from England and might be doing it alone - in your experience guys, will there enough people on the Trail at that time to tag along with a few days?

Blissful
01-28-2011, 11:23

I blogged on this very topic -

http://www.blissfulhiking.blogspot.com

Blissful
01-28-2011, 11:25
SOBO early July 2011! Coming all the way from England and might be doing it alone - in your experience guys, will there enough people on the Trail at that time to tag along with a few days?

Yes until the middle of Maine, then they tend to spread out quickly.

Sterling
01-28-2011, 17:57
My name is Mike and I'm graduating in May so my friends Aaron and Nick from high school will be heading on a SOBO thru starting on June 15th (if all goes according to plan). We're some pretty crazy dudes who liked to have a good time :banana, and I personally cannot wait to get this thing started (it has consumed me and is basically all I can think about day and night). It seems like a lot of people are leaving right around the same time so I look forward to meeting lots of cool new people and hopefully getting a good crew together for this awesome adventure. If anyone is looking for other people to start with on June 15th just PM me and we can figure everything out.

I took my eye off this sobo thread for a week and man it has exploded. Me and my younger brother are both graduating, and will be starting around the same time. June (11-15) We also like to have a good time.

I too think about it night and day, and im very happy to see all these mid june start dates. The more the better

toemaetoe
01-31-2011, 11:35
I'll be heading SOBO in late June/early July. See you all on the trail!

keepsi
02-01-2011, 00:29
My brother and i are planning on thru hiking sobo towards the end of june, after bonnaroo of course:dance

KUNU
02-01-2011, 01:40
Oh how I wish I could go to Bonnaroo again!...last year I went for the first time and it was amazing...unfortunately all of my extra loot will be going into my AT fund this year so unless I run into a lot of extra money I am going to miss it
:(...at least I will have the AT to console me

wcgornto
02-01-2011, 03:44

I went SOBO starting on June 14. I used a 30 degree bag until Daleville, VA (October 12) and then a 15 degree bag the rest of the way. This setup worked well for me, but I would have been quite uncomfortable in the 30 degree bag if I had waited much longer to swap it out.

I knew several SOBOs who used a 20 degree bag from start to finish.

Sterling
02-01-2011, 11:40
I very much wish i could go to all good again. Will just be way to far north for it to make sense. I'm considering going to that festival down in Connecticut at the end of July. Just gotta figure out how to get a bus/ride outta southern vt or somewhere in mass.

ajakob88
02-05-2011, 18:24
Going SOBO leaving mid-june and hope to finish late Nov early Dec, what clothing should I pack?

KUNU
02-05-2011, 18:29
I very much wish i could go to all good again. Will just be way to far north for it to make sense. I'm considering going to that festival down in Connecticut at the end of July. Just gotta figure out how to get a bus/ride outta southern vt or somewhere in mass.

What festival is that? Sounds like a good idea to me if the price is reasonable.

Khalidur
02-08-2011, 13:05
Hi all, Starting at Baxter on june 1st.

Is there any resources available that describes what weather to expect (and what to pack) for a SOBO-er that leaves kath on june1st and hopes to arrive at Springer late sept?

NHTrev
02-08-2011, 13:45
Hello everyone!

I'm leaving from Katahdin for Springer sometime in June. I have a few reasons for wanting to go SOBO... First off, my semester doesn't end until May. Second, I live in New Hampshire, so getting to Baxter won't be any problem at all. Lastly, I like to do things differently!
This is gonna be my first big hike. Longest I've done so far is eight hours on Franconia Ridge (Mt. Lafayette, NH). I've also done a bit of camping. Definitely feel I am ready to tackle this and it's a perfect spot in my life. Probably continue working on my Bachelors in Spring '12 when I get back.
Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all on the trail! Good luck everyone!!!

BTW, anyone looking for a hiking partner?

-Trevor

slugger
02-08-2011, 13:52
Since there are a bunch of us all leaving around the same time I was wondering what trails you all where planing on going up when you mount Big K.

Khalidur
02-08-2011, 14:22
Hello everyone!

I'm leaving from Katahdin for Springer sometime in June. I have a few reasons for wanting to go SOBO... First off, my semester doesn't end until May. Second, I live in New Hampshire, so getting to Baxter won't be any problem at all. Lastly, I like to do things differently!
This is gonna be my first big hike. Longest I've done so far is eight hours on Franconia Ridge (Mt. Lafayette, NH). I've also done a bit of camping. Definitely feel I am ready to tackle this and it's a perfect spot in my life. Probably continue working on my Bachelors in Spring '12 when I get back.
Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all on the trail! Good luck everyone!!!

BTW, anyone looking for a hiking partner?

-Trevor

Heya, I'll be arriving in Maine sometime in the last few days of May and be starting june1st.

If you'll be out at the same time, I could do with a partner to keep me company for the 100mile wilderness.

Khalidur
03-01-2011, 06:34
Hi all, I kinda need some help!

I arrive in Bangor at 2230 local time on Wed 1st June. Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay nearby?

I couldn't get an earlier flight :(

The Flatulator
03-01-2011, 16:14
Southbounders......Check out www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info) for detailed information on the first 100 miles of your epic journey. Mid-Wilderness resupply, shuttles and accomodations available for long distance hikers.

Kepley
03-05-2011, 12:38
Just decided to move my 2012 AT Thru Hike to 2011. It could not wait. I'll be southbound and I should be on Katahdin on June 1st (two weeks after I graduate college!).

Looking forward to experiencing the trail with you guys. Very glad to see so many of you will be out there. Only 5% of the SOBO's that started in 2010 finished at Springer. Lets change that.

d.o.c
03-05-2011, 16:49
Oh how I wish I could go to Bonnaroo again!...last year I went for the first time and it was amazing...unfortunately all of my extra loot will be going into my AT fund this year so unless I run into a lot of extra money I am going to miss it
:(...at least I will have the AT to console me
dont worry there are a few chances for phish for you as a sobo but thts diff thn roo but :sun

Khalidur
03-07-2011, 10:38
Just decided to move my 2012 AT Thru Hike to 2011. It could not wait. I'll be southbound and I should be on Katahdin on June 1st (two weeks after I graduate college!).

Looking forward to experiencing the trail with you guys. Very glad to see so many of you will be out there. Only 5% of the SOBO's that started in 2010 finished at Springer. Lets change that.

Hiya, I land june 1st nighttime and aiming to 'do' kathadin on the 3rd. Hopefully I bump into you somewhere in the wilderness. :D

Unfortunately, I could only get a visa for 90days, so I won't be doing much to improve the SOBO completion rate!

seabrookhiker
03-12-2011, 10:27
I'm doing a one month SOBO section from Katahdin starting late July. Starting to wonder if I'm going to see any other human beings on the trail, as everybody seems to be leaving in June and early July.

wvgrinder
03-12-2011, 11:30
I'm doing a one month SOBO section from Katahdin starting late July. Starting to wonder if I'm going to see any other human beings on the trail, as everybody seems to be leaving in June and early July.

I plan to hike SOBO from Katahdin to Harper's Ferry. I will be starting no sooner than the 3rd week of July. There's another guy on here that plans on leaving around the 22nd-24th-and he may have a partner.

We'll have some company. But most will be going the other direction.

seabrookhiker
03-12-2011, 16:06
Well, cool! I had enough alone time on the trail last year, I'm looking forward to some company at shelters.

I'mlostagain
03-18-2011, 15:58
Hey everyone just wanted to post here and say that my sobo thruhike is set. If circumstances permit I'll be traveling with "chicken hawk" my golden retriever. Hope to see you all on the trail.

L1F31SG00D
03-19-2011, 00:47

Yeah, I am just graduating high school too, and starting on the same date. I am hoping to tag along with people I meet during that time through most of Maine until my buddy can meet up with me to finish the trail off. Hope to see you out there!

Also, I can't decide how to go up. I want to try and stay at Chimney Pond on the North side of the Big K and day hike the knifes edge, and then start the At the next day. Otherwise I'll have to make base camp at KSC and leave my pack at the Rangers Station. Anybody have advice on this?

Blissful
03-19-2011, 11:14
Also, I can't decide how to go up. I want to try and stay at Chimney Pond on the North side of the Big K and day hike the knifes edge, and then start the At the next day. Otherwise I'll have to make base camp at KSC and leave my pack at the Rangers Station. Anybody have advice on this?

I talk about this very subject on my hiking blog (http://blissfulhiking.blogspot.com/2011/01/southbound-vs-northbound-part-1.html).

myotheralt
03-20-2011, 17:21
Trevor, I am arriving at Baxter in the afternoon of May 31. K on June 1. And starting down the coast on the 2nd.

I would enjoy company.

protargol
03-26-2011, 14:59
Hey all, I'm going to be going south this summer. I may leave in early or mid June, or wait until after my friend's wedding which is in mid July. I'll keep you posted, but am super excited!

TJ aka Teej
03-26-2011, 20:25
Hey all, I'm going to be going south this summer. I may leave in early or mid June, or wait until after my friend's wedding which is in mid July. I'll keep you posted, but am super excited!

:welcome Be sure to check out the Southbounder's forum here!

chipmonk
03-29-2011, 08:49
hi adding my name to list.. trailname "chipmonk" going to continue my sobo from monson (shaws ) approx june 13..

ScubaSteve
04-05-2011, 12:07
How's it going SOBOs?! I have an ambitiously late start date of September 1st. Anyone else starting out around there let me know

Blissful
04-05-2011, 12:30
Sure is a late start. Hope you're geared up for lots of winter hiking, short days, long nights and loneliness. :)

ScubaSteve
04-05-2011, 12:41
I hope to reach your username while on the trail; and I certainly have a lot to gear I order and research to complete! :)

Lord Helment
04-05-2011, 12:58
southbound with my daughter and wife beginning july 11th on the big k.....my wife is going with us for 3 weeks then flying home......expect to reach springer between thanksgiving and christmas

Mister
04-22-2011, 22:33
My fiancee Porcupine and I will be heading out June 21st or the weekend after. We plan to hike as far south as we can, get off trail to go to Burning Man in Nevada, and come back to where we left off to finish in Georgia. Should be a good time :)

freshpots
04-23-2011, 14:47
I'm probably starting SOBO around August 1st. Hopefully i'l make it before the snow, I think I will no problem. Anyone starting SOBO around then?

Jeremiah Greenjeans
05-04-2011, 10:35
Add me to the list guys...

Starting my SOBO quest June 17th.. see ya'll on the trail :)

tolkien
05-04-2011, 18:40
Glad I saw this thread! I had originally planned on hiking NoBo but am now leaning towards a SoBo because of a late start date and I think it would be a great(er) journey. Money is not an issue but I would prefer to be away from most of the crowds, however Im sure i will get to know some great people!

If you go NoBo and leave in June, you have 3-4 months to make it to Maine before the parks close for the winter. SoBo-ing also puts you away from summer in Georiga, mosquitos, and crowds.

Wide I'ed
05-06-2011, 17:43
SOBO starting June 14th..hope to see some of you guys out there.

Spud29
05-14-2011, 12:24
Sup Guys SOBO here early June. All ready to go, just waiting on the Bruins to bring the Stanley Cup back to Boston and I am out the door!

madfarmer
05-19-2011, 11:47
SOBO, I'll be at the gates of BSP 7:30am on June 16th.

Reid
05-19-2011, 14:06
Leaving in August. I'll probably really be alone out there

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
05-24-2011, 18:23
I am heading SOBO on 11 Aug leaving from Skyline in VA, Daughter just had her baby ,I 'll be retired ,she lives in Hiawassee, Ga so I thought it would be something to leave the grandchild. Grampa walked from Va to GA just to see her. Next March NOBO to complete the Thur Hike. Don't know if we'll meet but lets all have a great Hike.

bionicJ
05-27-2011, 16:37
sobo early july. just hope i will find some one at the start to walk with. no luck yet.

on_the_GOEZ
05-27-2011, 16:44
sobo early july. just hope i will find some one at the start to walk with. no luck yet.

Maybe not immediatly at the start, but within a few days you will meet people. Plenty. Including myself, more than likely. Cheers!

harbohiker
06-02-2011, 10:52
I hiked from springer to Front Royal spring of 09' left end of March. I'm planing on finishing the trail this fall heading south from katahdin leaving in mid Aug. might do the whole 2300. Really looking foreward to it!

slugger
06-13-2011, 21:50
Leaving tomorrow at 6am for Mt. Katahdin to start my SoBo Thru hike attempt. Hope to see you all on the trail!

mattmais
06-16-2011, 21:54
Just laid off... 26th up/down the Big K then on to GA!

Matt

mattmais
06-16-2011, 22:01
Just laid off...

26th June up/down the Big K then on to GA!

Matt

Chomp09
06-16-2011, 22:48
Slugger, best of luck on your hike. Please do us all a favor and avoid dunking your head in the water sources from here on out. https://picasaweb.google.com/Matthew.S.Bricker/June2010AppalachianTrail#5479865511423316322

I'm sure it felt good at the time but it's not very considerate of those drinking from that source after you.

Much appreciated!

kreate
06-17-2011, 00:34
starting SOBO on July 1. glad to hear I wont be the only one out in the 100 mile.

Lord Helment
06-17-2011, 08:15
kreate...you will not be alone....july is prime time in the wilderness as a lot of youth groups and others use the area...defintely have your own shelter.....leans to's are usually full...i'm heading sobo on july 11th....have a great hike

Time Traveler
06-17-2011, 13:49
Looks like I'm joining the southbounders this year. Bama and I were supposed to hike the CDT begining July 1st. But he bailed out leaving me very discombobulated. I need to hike, I'm prepped to hike, so I will be southbounding with my dog, Jett. I did a NOBO thru after graduating highschool, so I guess a southbound thru after college kinda makes sense... See yall on July 1st!~ TT

skylar24
06-17-2011, 14:03
A buddy of mine and I are SOBO 11 as well hoping to head out between June 22nd and June 29th.. I decided to go SOBO because of timing, my lease ran out June 1st in Virginia and I also liked the idea of hiking with less people. Plus I grew up in the Whites so I have a place to stay(my parents) who are super supportive with giving me a room to stay in for a few weeks, mailing out my bills and helping out with mail drops etc..

I am looking forward to seeing you all out there! Happy Trails!

kreate
06-17-2011, 19:38
July 1st ish looks busy for SOBO thru's. this should be fun!

dillard
06-20-2011, 11:59
I will be up there in the first week or so of July to start my SOBO, see you all there.

Time Traveler
06-24-2011, 09:04
Heading up to Katahdin tomorrow! Looks like my first few days may be a bit sloshy. Oh well, very excited to get back to the 100 miles of flatness :)

Lord Helment
06-24-2011, 09:23
have a great hike all.....i'll be climbing katahdin july 11th

jasperhalo
06-27-2011, 09:06
I'm finally leaving tomorrow and I'm set to climb Katadyn on the 30th. I can't wait to get out there.

All the best my fellow Southbounders.

kreate
06-28-2011, 20:42
I'll see you out on big K Ill be climbing on the 30 th as well!

LeeMan
06-28-2011, 21:39
Hi All. I am planning a SOBO thru-hike, departing around 7/18 or 19, 2011. Anyone else heading south around this time? Also, is it ok or ill advised to attempt a thru-hike solo? Thanks.

TrailPossum
06-30-2011, 13:53
Hi All. I am planning a SOBO thru-hike, departing around 7/18 or 19, 2011. Anyone else heading south around this time? Also, is it ok or ill advised to attempt a thru-hike solo? Thanks.

I will be heading up from Dallas on the 18th of July Leeman. Planning on climbing Katahdin the 19th, staying in the park that same night and then starting sobo out of the park on the 20th. Ill be taking it slow the first couple of weeks to tone up, but other then that I welcome all the company I can get! Hope to see ya there. :)

LeeMan
07-02-2011, 23:00
I will be heading up from Dallas on the 18th of July Leeman. Planning on climbing Katahdin the 19th, staying in the park that same night and then starting sobo out of the park on the 20th. Ill be taking it slow the first couple of weeks to tone up, but other then that I welcome all the company I can get! Hope to see ya there. :)

TrailPossum, I am doing the exact same thing as you, only one day later (summitting the 20th, staying at the park that night and then heading south on the 21st). I too want to take it easy at first and avoid injury. I hope we run into each other. Best of luck to you.

trippinrebel
07-03-2011, 17:08
Hiking SOBO, gonna try to start the last weekend in July!

wvgrinder
07-11-2011, 16:07
Hiking SOBO, gonna try to start the last weekend in July!

I'll be starting around that time as well. :cool:

trail nectar
07-21-2011, 16:52
Starting SOBO the first week in August! staying @ Abol in baxter on August 2nd, then climbing Katahdin on the 3rd!!

Cant wait :D!!