PDA

View Full Version : questions re: maine Aug/sept

cutman11
07-11-2010, 23:33
I am an AT sectioner finishing the trail from Gorham to Katahdin Aug/Sept this year. Couple questions: 1. with all the heat, will there be water drought issues at any particular shelter/area? 2. Was thinking of finishing by going across the knife edge and down to roaring brook campground, will it be difficult to get from there to millinocket? Hitch? Taxi? I am under the impression it would be about an 8 mi road walk to the gate at baxter and another ?17 mi to millinocket? not likely a fun hike after finishing.... 3. I could leave a car at the end, but with about 30 days to leave it parked, was under the impression I could not leave it anywhere in baxter, would I have to leave it in Millinocket at the hostel? Thanks for the info in advance

Shutterbug
07-12-2010, 00:30
I am an AT sectioner finishing the trail from Gorham to Katahdin Aug/Sept this year. Couple questions: 1. with all the heat, will there be water drought issues at any particular shelter/area? 2. Was thinking of finishing by going across the knife edge and down to roaring brook campground, will it be difficult to get from there to millinocket? Hitch? Taxi? I am under the impression it would be about an 8 mi road walk to the gate at baxter and another ?17 mi to millinocket? not likely a fun hike after finishing.... 3. I could leave a car at the end, but with about 30 days to leave it parked, was under the impression I could not leave it anywhere in baxter, would I have to leave it in Millinocket at the hostel? Thanks for the info in advance

I hike the 100 Mile Wilderness most falls, but have not decided about this year. I think I will hike the Wallawa Mountains in Oregon instead.

Based on my experience:

I have never had a problem finding water. The people you pass on the trail will keep you informed about water (if you ask). Last year the problem was too much water and mud.

You should be able to hitch a ride to Millinocket, but if you are uneasy about it you can call Minuteman Taxi in Millinocket.

You can't park at Roaring Brook lot that long. Leave your car at the hostel.

boarstone
07-12-2010, 06:50
We may be having some extra hot muggy days up here but water will not be a problem. It rains on a reglular basis. Springs along the trail and those at most shelters where listed, will always be running. We never "dry up" here. Grab a hitch out to the Appalachian Trail Lodge. Plenty of folks coming and going that time of year. Mind your please and thank you's and offer a few $ for their time and their gas tank. At least offer..

Cookerhiker
07-12-2010, 08:54
I also did a Gorham-to-Katahdin section hike (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=113704) the same time of year as you - mid-August to mid-September. Re parking and transporation, I left my car at the AMC's Pinkham Notch parking lot. Apparently lots of hikers do this because the AMC had no problems with it. I had planned to hitch from Baxter to Millinocket to Medway and catch buses since Pinkham Notch is served by a daily bus (to/from Boston) but a friend helped me by taking the bus to Pinkham and driving my car to Baxter, hiking up Katahdin with me.

If your experience is anything like mine, you won't have many bugs to deal with. The hike is beautiful! But remember that the first 120 miles from Gorham is the most difficult stretch of the AT so plan your schedule accordingly.

cutman11
07-13-2010, 13:49
Excellent trailjournal cookerhiker. I think I am about your pace and allowing 2 days longer than you took, so I think I will be fine. Has anyone gone on via the knifeedge to Roaring brook rather than returning to Katahdin stream? Was that an easier way down? More fun than retracing your route?

ozt42
07-13-2010, 19:34
It is an easier way down via the helon taylor trail. Roaring brook is always busy with dayhikers and weekenders that time of year I can't imagine it would be too hard to hitch a ride to millinocket (everyone is headed that way anyway).