PDA

View Full Version : No More Phone

TOW
07-12-2010, 11:35
I am discontinuing the free phone service. Although I will let you use my phone if you need too, I am just removing the phone from the porch.

Time changes things.....

couscous
07-12-2010, 12:03
Probably wasn't getting too much use except from iPhone users since AT&T doesn't know Damascus exists.

Lone Wolf
07-12-2010, 12:20
Probably wasn't getting too much use except from iPhone users since AT&T doesn't know Damascus exists.

more than likely it was getting overused and abused by freeloaders taking advantage of his kindness

SouthMark
07-12-2010, 14:15
more than likely it was getting overused and abused by freeloaders taking advantage of his kindness

No doubt...

Doctari
07-12-2010, 14:20
I for one appreciated the phone, Thanks for providing this service for us TOW!! BTW; My wife also says thank you for allowing me to call!

SOAP BOX TIME:
For those who will not get to use this service, thank those who abused the privilege before you got to your hike, and keep it in mind for future hikers when you feel the "Need" to abuse the services on the AT.
When you don't leave a donation at a hostel, remember how you felt when other "Donation only" services were not available anymore because of such abuses. Leave no trace can also be applied to the services along the trail, If you would not pick a flower so those behind you can also enjoy it, Don't skip out without paying for services for the same reason. If you wouldn't leave a 'Lincoln log" in a spring, observe the "Quiet time" at facilities.

Off my soap box now.

Anyway, thanks again Larry.

Gray Blazer
07-12-2010, 14:57
Thanks for letting me use your phone even if David did not return the call.

Cookerhiker
07-12-2010, 15:19
I am discontinuing the free phone service. Although I will let you use my phone if you need too, I am just removing the phone from the porch.

Time changes things.....

TOW last May after Trail Days, I was in Abingdon and happened upon the local newspaper - I forget whether it was current or a few months old (I was in a coffeehouse). Anyway, the paper included a letter to the editor thanking "Larry" in Damascus for making the phone available and saying how nice the gesture was, solidifying Damascus's reputation as the friendliest trail town.

Being pretty sure "Larry" was you, I thought about reporting this on WB at the time but I wasn't sure you wanted the publicity on an open internet forum.

Thanks for providing the service to hikers and I hope they didn't abuse it.

SmokyMtn Hiker
07-12-2010, 15:43

This what happens to people that try to be kind, I think most everyone will be understanding to why had to remove it.

TOW
07-15-2010, 08:25
There was some abuse, like long distance over seas calls to Europe that hurt my pocket book. And with no or little donations coming in as a whole the expense of keeping this service up is beyond my budget in these hard economical times. I've gotten behind in some payments on bills and I have to cut corners some place.

So really that is the reason I am shutting the phone down. I truly wish I could keep it up because I have truly enjoyed meeting quite a few of you and others from all over the world.

If my business picks up and I am able to pull thru I will most likely replace this service.

TOW
07-15-2010, 08:30
TOW last May after Trail Days, I was in Abingdon and happened upon the local newspaper - I forget whether it was current or a few months old (I was in a coffeehouse). Anyway, the paper included a letter to the editor thanking "Larry" in Damascus for making the phone available and saying how nice the gesture was, solidifying Damascus's reputation as the friendliest trail town.

Being pretty sure "Larry" was you, I thought about reporting this on WB at the time but I wasn't sure you wanted the publicity on an open internet forum.

Thanks for providing the service to hikers and I hope they didn't abuse it.
Wow, I never knew about that, thanx for sharing this.

When it comes to being of service to others just do it, this was not about being popular for me. It was about doing something positive so that I could meet others. Besides when you do a kindness for others you never know what seeds you planted will bloom into another flower of some sorts..............

Pedaling Fool
07-15-2010, 08:37
That's why you should never feed the bears. Capitalism maintains a balance. Unfettered access creates anarchy.

chiefduffy
07-15-2010, 10:19
Thanks, TOW, for all you have done for hikers. I still hope to meet you one of these days.
- Duffy

TOW
08-19-2010, 07:55
I have decided to keep the phone going.

I began the process of shutting it down but there are so many locals and folks who have come here to ride the Creeper Trail that have used the phone since I began the service that have wanted to use it since I posted this that I have had a change of mind.

I can keep paying the bill or I could just buy a calling card and let people use that instead? I need some input here.......

WalkingStick75
08-19-2010, 08:17
I have been to Damascus several times but have never used the service but have always been impressed with the gesture.

Personally I would purchase one of these pay phones:
http://www.payphoneproducts.com/product_ct_818.shtml

It allows for credit card calls, programmable so no calls to Europe and I think you can set the cost per call or free calls.

kayak karl
08-19-2010, 08:22
Verizon was hit and miss also.

moytoy
08-19-2010, 08:29
You should be able to call your service provider and tell them to block all over seas call to and from. That would help with the extra charge problem.

Skyline
08-19-2010, 08:51
Expanding on the above post...

You can block ALL long distance service on your phone, so that only those with a valid calling card can make calls outside your area. Just call the phone company that provides your landline phone service.

This will of course mean you will need a calling card. Search the internet for the best deals.

Always enjoyed visiting with you, phone or no phone. Didn't make it to TD this year because we were swamped with work, and building a new beach house (finally done 7/29/10!!!). Maybe 2011?

Smile
08-19-2010, 10:46
How about a little jar next to the phone :)

kayak karl
08-19-2010, 10:56
How about a little jar next to the phone :)
larry has tried that.
you know the coin operated showers. put in coin, turn dial got 5 minutes. something like that for the phone:confused:

TOW
08-20-2010, 08:01
You should be able to call your service provider and tell them to block all over seas call to and from. That would help with the extra charge problem.
I did that but calls still got thru, the phone company says if you know the numbers to dial in it will go thru. On the other hand I have not had any more calls over seas for a a while now...

TOW
08-20-2010, 08:22
Expanding on the above post...

You can block ALL long distance service on your phone, so that only those with a valid calling card can make calls outside your area. Just call the phone company that provides your landline phone service.

This will of course mean you will need a calling card. Search the internet for the best deals.

Always enjoyed visiting with you, phone or no phone. Didn't make it to TD this year because we were swamped with work, and building a new beach house (finally done 7/29/10!!!). Maybe 2011?
And I have entertained that thought as well. As long as it has worked I had better not fix it. The bill always gets paid on time. Besides I am going to reconnect the internet, I think I can stay off the thing except whenever I need to place an order or pay my taxes. This computer thing just does not excite me that much any more.

And I like you as well my friend. My business is slowly getting on its feet so I am going to begin to take some quality time off from time to time. I have already started getting out and socializing more, maybe I will meet a significant other soon......who knows.....right now my dog Sally is my significant other but she has been messing around on me....can you believe it, she has got eyes for other guys, and even gals ("she switches sides from time to time")-and they always lure her away from me by dangling a morsel of food in front of her.........heckfire when I do that she loves me for just a moment but as soon as I let her have it she just goes her own promiscuous way........dang women I tell ya, doesn't matter if they are animals or not........

TOW
08-20-2010, 08:30
How about a little jar next to the phone :)for the past three or so years since i have did this there were only two to three times that there was any amount put into the jar, once when mathewski was there, then when tyvek stayed with me during trail day's of '07 he made darn sure the bucket was filled to capacity every day by gently persuading hikers to donate, and then one day i came home to find a wad of cash in it. most of the time people just don't give it a thought, it does not matter if they are hikers or weekend bikers either. now i will give one exception, most all of the cross country bikers and section hikers have been generous..........in the future there will be no donation kettle except during trail days and then i will give the money over to the museum like i did this year.....

Gray Blazer
08-20-2010, 09:28
Larry's house is right on the AT. I think that is so cool! It's hard to believe someone would come through Damascus and not visit TOW. I think he even has some real AT art in his house. Thanks for being a great host, brother.

jeepcachr
08-20-2010, 11:51
I did that but calls still got thru, the phone company says if you know the numbers to dial in it will go thru. On the other hand I have not had any more calls over seas for a a while now...
Seems like if you had the service blocked that you wouldn't be responsible for the bill. Then again the phone company will probably tell you to pay up or be shut off.

TOW
09-14-2010, 08:17
Larry's house is right on the AT. I think that is so cool! It's hard to believe someone would come through Damascus and not visit TOW. I think he even has some real AT art in his house. Thanks for being a great host, brother.
Thank you Gray Blazer, I appreciate the boost! I really do enjoy meeting people....

As most of you know I now have a store located right across from Cowboy's and right beside the laundry, I also have a phone located there now if you want to use it....

Mongoose2
09-14-2010, 08:30
TOW

Thanks for the great service. Have you considered Magic Jack? Depending on your internet connection you could save a ton of money and provide the free service, risk free. Just a thouight. Thanks again!

TOW
09-15-2010, 07:39
TOW

Thanks for the great service. Have you considered Magic Jack? Depending on your internet connection you could save a ton of money and provide the free service, risk free. Just a thouight. Thanks again!
I have considered it but my phone service provider has the Internet connection here so I am not sure how that would play out....?

TOW
09-15-2010, 07:40
I also would like to thank the retired MSGT for the nice donation for the phone. I passed it forward to the hiker ministry at the First Baptist Church.....

Mongoose2
09-19-2010, 21:59
TOW you would have to determine if the provider can give you whats called "naked DSL" in other words just the internet connect, no other service. If they can you may save quite a bit of money and no excess charges for phone charges. It really is a great service.

TrailSquirrel
09-19-2010, 22:03
I also have a phone located there now if you want to use it....

that is very generous

TOW
09-21-2010, 07:50
TOW you would have to determine if the provider can give you whats called "naked DSL" in other words just the internet connect, no other service. If they can you may save quite a bit of money and no excess charges for phone charges. It really is a great service.
I will be getting the Internet once again so I will check on that. Thank you for the info.........;)