PDA

View Full Version : Which way is best to hike AT in the fall?

rachaeljessica
07-12-2010, 12:56
I want to know what some of you think as far as whick direction to go? I am planning on doing a one month hike starting at Greylock. Should I go North or South?? Remember its fall and the seeing as much foliage and beautiful sites is what i am looking for the most! Let me know. Thanks :confused:

Cookerhiker
07-12-2010, 13:40
I think you actually have 3 choices unless you're very literal when you say "AT."

1. Hike south
2. Hike north on just the AT
3. Hike north but continue on the Long Trail in VT shortly after Rt. 4

By "Fall," do you mean any time after Sept. 21? If you start before Oct. 1, you could hike north but under either choice 2 or 3, you'll encounter cold possbily snowy weather. Especially under choice 2 where one month would get you to the White Mountains including the Presidentials. I don't think I'd hike this part because (1) it might be too wintery in the Whites, (2) much of the latter half of NH is in evergreens where you wouldn't see much foliage, and (3) in the deciduous areas, the leaves will have already fallen by the time you get there. I hiked the Wildcats and Carters in early Fall and got caught in a snowstorm. I saw very little in the way of fall colors.

If you hike north onto the Long Trail - again assuming a September start - under choice 3, you'll have a nice run of fall colors until perhaps the last week. You could possibly encounter snow or ice when you hike over Camels Hump and Mansfield and the rocks in that area make things tricky.

You can't go wrong hiking south, especially if you start around Oct. 10. The mountains aren't as spectacular as northern New England but you will see a lot of color for a long time.

rachaeljessica
07-12-2010, 14:32
Thank you. That was very helpful! My boyfriend said to stay south too. However, this was all after Sept. 21st. I was planning on leaving Sept 6th for one month. Does that make a difference? And i only want to stay on the AT.

OldFeet
07-12-2010, 14:37
Given your early start it does seem like if you head south this will minimize the amount of color you see since it will be early for much of the foliage to have started turning and you will be hiking away from the changes. Do you have an idea how much mileage you'll cover?

Cookerhiker
07-12-2010, 15:11
Yes with a Sept. 6 start, should hike north. This should be a great hike! In particular, I remember hiking the AT in VT between the LT junction and Hanover (i.e. the non-LT portion) in fall and experiencing beautiful weather resplendent in color.

If you average only about 10.2 mpd in 30 days, you'll come to US Rt. 2 outside of Gorham meaning you will have traversed the Whites. So I reiterate - prepare for some cold weather in the Whites, especially the Presidentials. That includes adequate wet-weather gear. Go to the AMC website (http://www.outdoors.org/) for information on their facilities i.e. what's open in what season.

If you reach Rt. 2 with time to spare, the next decision is whether to forge ahead in Maine. If you're not aware, the next road crossing isn't for 31 miles and in that intervening stretch, you have some steep up-and-downs plus Mahoosuc Notch. But you'll be very trail-hardy after hiking the Whites. Watch the weather - don't hike through the Notch if it's icy.