PDA

View Full Version : CT Section Hike this Fall - Logistics ideas

pyroman53
07-12-2010, 13:42
Trying to figure out how to do this. Have a short 46 mile hole in a nearly complete section hike of AT...Between Conn. 4 (Cornwall Bridge) and Homes Rd (Great Barrington, MA)

Can go N-S or S-N. One car. Can tack on a few miles either end if it makes logistics work better. Need to park vehicle somewhere safe...not sure where?? Need shuttle...not sure with whom?? And then probably walk back to vehicle.

Any ideas?

adamkrz
07-12-2010, 13:51
there is parking available at Cornwall Bridge - across from the citgo station, Then go north to Mass.

What dates do you have planned ?, If I'm in the area I can shuttle you back to your car.

pyroman53
07-12-2010, 13:56
First week Oct...tentative right now. Is parking safe there?

adamkrz
07-12-2010, 19:04
Iv'e parked there for days at a time without any issues, Let me know if I can assist, Adam.

Tin Man
07-12-2010, 20:48
Check the AT shuttle list. I have used a few and all were very good. In spite of some parking lots having a rep for break-ins, I have never had a problem. Just don't leave any valuables, but may leave a little trash and no one should bother with it... probably.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805499/k.547C/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm

remington79
07-13-2010, 13:40
I used to live up near that area and have some friends that still do. Cornwall is a nice safe rural town. Your vehicle should be safe but take the usual precautions.

I've hiked that section of trail before usually South to North with the Boy Scouts when I was growing up. It's a nice section of trail but can be hard at times. When growning up we started to dread the name Lion's Head. There's a nice little cabin with a wood stove by bear Mountain. I can't remember the name of it though. It may be off of the AT and on a side trail.

Good luck on your trip. You're in for some nice views.

Ironbelly
07-13-2010, 14:11
I am also in the nearby area (about an hour away) and will be doing a hike in another part of CT from Sep 30-Oct 3rd but would be able to shuttle you either Evening of the 3rd or any day after that. Let me know if you need my assistance.

And parking in Cornwall is pretty safe, there have been some issues in the past, but not anytime recently that I have heard about. Take your normal precautions.