PDA

View Full Version : What we like about White Blaze

Lugnut
07-12-2010, 14:33
There's a thread about what's wrong about White Blaze and it's about time for the other side to have a say. I've been here since almost day one so I must still be happy. Met some who turned out to be good friends and/or hiking partners.

bigcranky
07-12-2010, 14:37
I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Smells like......coffee.

Yeah, I kinda like this place too. Met some great people over the years.

bigmac_in
07-12-2010, 14:38
Excellent thread Lugnut ! !

WB was my main source of info when I first got into backpacking several years ago. It saved me from a long learning curve, although I'm STILL learning. I'm sure it is still a good tool for the newbies out there.

I too have made a large number of friends that I would not have made had I not been on WB.

Mountain Wildman
07-12-2010, 14:43
There is so much good it's tough to know where to start, I guess the one thing that stands out to me is, When I was trying to figure out why this hiking/backpacking thing had such a hold on me, It was comforting to know that I wasn't the only one who felt that way.
And many things can be learned from books, but hiking encompasses so many different skills that you have to get out there and do it, With Whiteblaze, Us newbies can get opinions from people with more miles under their belts and maybe avoid a mistake or two. It would be hard to put a value on the info available here. My thanks go out to everyone here that is generous enough to share hard earned, extremely valuable experience and expertise.:)

b.c.
07-12-2010, 14:48
The information is fantastic. There are often different opinions and experiences on the same subject. It is fun for me to take them all in - and then draw my own conclusion - and then try it out. I have lurked here for about five of my thirty years of backpacking but my knowledge has probably doubled due to the vicarious experiences of the membership.

Gray Blazer
07-12-2010, 14:54
Its the only website I hang out at. I like the Photo Gallery. When you live in FL WB is the closest thing to being on the AT.

couscous
07-12-2010, 15:30
I like WB because I can learn something from anyone. People are usually eager to report what works for them. Sometimes our experiences come from Wisdom, sometimes they come from Whiz-dumb and make great campfire stories.

SmokyMtn Hiker
07-12-2010, 15:53
This is website that got me interested in hiking the AT more than just day hikes. The photo section is great when you are planning a trip and you are wondering what each shelters look like to help determine if it's worth staying at. I have also gotten a lot of good info from the forums if I am preparing for a section hike and someone has good info for that section that may be helpfull. I also get a lot of good laughs reading what Lone Wolf has to say about things, he just tells it like it is.

superman
07-12-2010, 16:31
I like WB because because I can correct my own mistakes. :D

superman
07-12-2010, 16:33
Its the only website I hang out at. .
Was that voluntary?:-?

johnnybgood
07-12-2010, 16:41
Reasons I like WhiteBlaze :

* Knowledgeable backpackers

* Photo Gallery

* Gear Reviews

* Trip Reports

* Entertainment (yes... true characters here)

* Intelligent / Thought provoking subjects

* These are in no particular order

Razor
07-12-2010, 17:51
I like WB because no one has a strong opinion and is so open minded? Ask a question and we always give answers,and sometimes they are correct.

Mrs Baggins
07-12-2010, 19:30
I'm devoted....and too old to give a **** about what other people think of me. I've met some of the big personalities in person and felt honored to do so. My friends who don't hike think that it's very cool that we have this. Sometimes I get angry and spout off and other times I laugh with everyone. I've been "put in the corner" more than once by one mod or another. I've learned tons from others. I've met people who became a dear friends and hiking buddies. I'll keep donating.

Gray Blazer
07-12-2010, 19:34
Was that voluntary?:-?

What do you mean?

Storm
07-12-2010, 19:43
Sometimes it's nice to know there are other people with the same hopes and dreams and who don't think you're a crazy old fart.

Hatter
07-12-2010, 19:53
As a lurker and someone new to backpacking in general its a wonderful place to learn and get a true understanding on how things work. If more newbies (like myself) came here I think the number of their mistakes and injuries would greatly decrease.

Bucherm
07-12-2010, 19:54
Definitely the wealth of knowledge on the board. Of course, it's also clear that a lot of the knowledge can be subjective...:)

sbhikes
07-12-2010, 20:32
I like whiteblaze because it's full of hiker trash.

gregp
07-12-2010, 20:36
This community has been extremely helpful to me and is my most valued resource when it comes to trip planning. :)

Tin Man
07-12-2010, 20:38
12 take-aways from wb after reading and working things out:

i used to stay in/near shelters, now i mostly stealth well away from them.

i rarely used privies, still mostly avoid them

i use to always filter water, now i decide if it needs filtering.

i use to always use walking sticks, now i don't as much.

i use to hang a bear bag, mostly i sleep with my food now.

i never thought much about hammocks, now i prefer to sleep in one.

i use to fret over how difficult a section was, now i can't wait to just walk it.

i used to pack heavy with comforts, now i pack medium and comfortable

i use to carry a week's worth of food, now i cache halfway

i use to like meeting thru-hikers, now i prefer section hikers

i use to care whether i was doing it right, now i just do it the way i like and don't care what anyone else thinks or does.

i use to think there were hiker gods, now i know there are none

Tin Man
07-12-2010, 20:40
As a lurker and someone new to backpacking in general its a wonderful place to learn and get a true understanding on how things work. If more newbies (like myself) came here I think the number of their mistakes and injuries would greatly decrease.

nah. most is common sense. i worked out half my stuff i posted in spite of wb. just got to get out there and see what works for you.

Hatter
07-12-2010, 21:30
While I agree that the majority is common sense, I think its helpful to have some place to go to ask, lets says what weather conditions are like in a certain place at a certain time so that one may pack accordingly. Having the knowledge of more experienced hikers available, especially ones that have been to that place before is highly valuable in prevent mistakes.

DapperD
07-12-2010, 22:28
Iv'e learned tons of knowledge about hiking and backpacking from this site, things I would have most likely never learned otherwise. I want to thank everyone who contributes hard won knowledge to help other's who aren't as knowledgeable and experienced. Anyone who plans to someday set out to hike the AT whether it be short or long will find inspiration at Whiteblaze. I always look foward to reading new threads and posts as they become available, and consider Whiteblaze among my favorite websites:sun

Spogatz
07-12-2010, 23:16
I like hiking and the trail so it just made sense to be here....

Blue Jay
07-13-2010, 07:36
WB for me, is by far the most interesting and entertaining web site in existence. Other than Trail Journals in season and the one in my car, often I have no other use for computers.:-?

Sierra Echo
07-13-2010, 07:39
The only thing that keeps this website from being perfect is there is no place to talk about things other then hiking.
This makes it VERY hard to find people with other interest.
I would hate to hook up with someone to go for a hike only to find out that you have nothing in common. That makes for a long boring hike~!
At least when your by yourself you can talk to yourself. I'm the most interesting person I know!

Sierra Echo
07-13-2010, 07:39
I meant its very hard to find people with the same interest!!

bigmac_in
07-13-2010, 08:39
12 take-aways from wb after reading and working things out:

i used to stay in/near shelters, now i mostly stealth well away from them.

i rarely used privies, still mostly avoid them

i use to always filter water, now i decide if it needs filtering.

i use to always use walking sticks, now i don't as much.

i use to hang a bear bag, mostly i sleep with my food now.

i never thought much about hammocks, now i prefer to sleep in one.

i use to fret over how difficult a section was, now i can't wait to just walk it.

i used to pack heavy with comforts, now i pack medium and comfortable

i use to carry a week's worth of food, now i cache halfway

i use to like meeting thru-hikers, now i prefer section hikers

i use to care whether i was doing it right, now i just do it the way i like and don't care what anyone else thinks or does.

Wow Tin Man - that is a great post. I especially like your last point.

Cookerhiker
07-13-2010, 09:01
Nothing original or different from what's been said. To me, WB:

Has a world of good practical information covering all aspects of hiking.
Re. gear in particlar: because I'm not a gearhead, WB is a good place to find info from those who've already done the research and/or experienced the equipment.
Has a fair amount of discussion on other (non-AT) trails from which I've learned a lot and which have helped me plan hikes.
Features some interesting stories from hikers' experiences
Is the best way to assess recent or current events and conditions when planning a hike especially regarding weather or trail conditions
Provides info about upcoming events i.e. get togthers and after-the-fact rehashing
Expands our circles of friends and hiking buds - I've made many friends from WB with folks I never otherwise would have met.
For me, the proof is how much time I spend on WB - too much! Certainly more than any other site, even Facebook.

IceAge
07-13-2010, 09:48
I've picked up great tips on how to lighten my load, and ignored most of them.

Bluntly honest feedback on new gear.

Bought my hammock from WB, probably would never considered "hanging" without this place.

They let me hang out here even though I've hiked a grand total of 88 miles on the AT.

chiefduffy
07-13-2010, 09:51
Always entertaining, always educational. Met some great friends on here. Kinda like listening to folks around a campfire after a long day alone in the woods...

- Duffy

mister krabs
07-13-2010, 10:15
Because it's not BPL or PB.

faarside
07-13-2010, 10:17
... For EVERYTHING AT !

Over the years, I have made new friends here, tracked the progress of some who I have known from past Trail encounters, located Trail Buddies who I had lost track of, and obtained a WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE from a source that does not even require a membership fee! For a donation-only site, where else can you obtain such a wealth of useful information?

Of course there are always folks who feel they need to sling some mud, make sometimes unfair criticisms, or be just plain rude. They are everywhere, not just on WhiteBlaze. Much as I would like to never hear from them, I suppose they are bound to surface from time to time, as this is the nature of negative-thinking people in an open communications environment.

In spite of the negative thinkers, I find the overwhelming majority of communications and data here to be enjoyable and informative, and thank the founders for their commitment to maintaining WhiteBlaze as a top-notch, high-quality resource for the AT Community!

Many thanks also to the upstanding, committed members that have contributed their knowledge, expertise, time, thoughts, and so much more to making this online community a reliable and enjoyable haven for AT enthusiasts!

Best Regards Always, and Happy Trails!

sbhikes
07-13-2010, 11:24
How did you learn there are no hiking gods?

Lilred
07-13-2010, 11:37

That's right, there are only hiking Goddess' RHP!!!!!!!!!;):D:p

Pedaling Fool
07-13-2010, 12:08
I don't think the negativity is too bad here. Many complain because most posts start to drift after about the first page, but I think that is because usually the answer has already been provide - just simple human nature, nothing wrong with that. I like thread drift, often times some very interesting things are mentioned.

You want to read the words of some idiots then look in the comments section of any newspaper. I rarely waste my time opening up the comments section any longer in the Washington Post, never mind commenting.

If you want to hear some really dumb things from boneheaded people then watch C-SPAN and listen to the callers.

But beware you could drop a few IQ points if you listen too long.

:sun

chief
07-13-2010, 12:39
Of course there are always folks who feel they need to sling some mud, make sometimes unfair criticisms, or be just plain rude. They are everywhere, not just on WhiteBlaze. Much as I would like to never hear from them, I suppose they are bound to surface from time to time, as this is the nature of negative-thinking people in an open communications environment.

Careful, your other face is showing!

sherrill
07-13-2010, 13:17
I've been here awhile, and I've been witness to some of the more infamous incidents on this site.

Through it all I have to say that what I like most about Whiteblaze is the dedication that Rick puts into it. Not a lot of people would have kept this up after some of the grief that he gets. I get paid to do the same things he doesn't for all of us here and I would have thrown in the towel a long time ago.

Not sure how much Rock still plays into it, but if you do, thanks to you too. I was around when you guys were taking over from Former Easy?Admin? (whoever). Now, that was some good times!

bigmac_in
07-13-2010, 13:29
How did you learn there are no hiking gods?

I'm guessing he met some who think they are . . .

Jack Tarlin
07-13-2010, 13:36
While we're at it, I think we should thank the folks who are looking after the website while Troll is off hiking......surely these folks could be doing something else with their free time this summer. Funny thing......people only talk about site administrators when something has pissed them off, but all in all, these guys do a thankless job and do it well. So I hope they have a good summer, too!

berkshirebirder
07-13-2010, 13:59
WB is worth more than the price of a couple of Happy Meals. Membership is free, but a donation is a way to show you appreciate the work that keeps the site going. Just a thought...

Knocky
07-13-2010, 14:28
I've only been around a few years, but I have no problems with the site, or the folks.
Good information, excellent reviews of being on the trail, and insight into gear usage.

emerald
07-13-2010, 14:43
The only thing that keeps this website from being perfect is there is no place to talk about things other than hiking.

This makes it VERY hard to find people with the same interests.

Similiar comments are posted occasionally by new members who have not subscribed to non-AT discussions or participated in them. Since it appears you have not joined this group, I will provide the link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/profile.php?do=editusergroups).

I've started several long-running non-A.T. threads. I suggest you start a thread about one of your own interests. You might also benefit from clicking on screen names to see what information members provide about themselves.

kanga
07-13-2010, 14:58
That's right, there are only hiking Goddess' RHP!!!!!!!!!;):D:ppreach it sistah!

Jester2000
07-13-2010, 18:14
There's a thread about what's wrong about White Blaze and it's about time for the other side to have a say. I've been here since almost day one so I must still be happy. Met some who turned out to be good friends and/or hiking partners.

Which thread is about what's wrong with whiteblaze?

brotheral
07-13-2010, 18:26
I have no complaints... I enjoy browsing around, seeing what folks are talking about. When I have questions, I always get the insight needed... There's alot of wisdom here and also a good deal of humor too. :sun
Think I'll stick around... Thank You to the good folks that keep it going :welcome

brotheral
07-13-2010, 18:35
WB is worth more than the price of a couple of Happy Meals. Membership is free, but a donation is a way to show you appreciate the work that keeps the site going. Just a thought...

Good point... It costs money to keep this going... A donation will sure help and just might make you feel good :)

Lugnut
07-13-2010, 20:05
Which thread is about what's wrong with whiteblaze?

I was actually refering to the thread about WB becoming stupid over the last two years (yes, I know it is in the humor forum) but there have been several threads, usually quickly closed, that complain about real, or imagined, injustices here.

Smile
07-13-2010, 20:41
It's always a great place to visit, and great current info available about water and such when you need it. Folks always willing to share latest trail conditions, priceless.

Blue Jay
07-14-2010, 22:10
... For EVERYTHING AT !

Clearly the Sponge Bob Square Pants might be a better fit for you.:sun

Gray Blazer
07-15-2010, 00:46
Who's the sponge?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/bardin_booger_woods_147.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=21813&original=1&c=member&imageuser=6217)

Chaco Taco
07-17-2010, 17:13
My wife and I met here:sun

superman
07-18-2010, 08:06
I like WB because because I can correct my own mistakes. :D

Oh wait...I sent in my check dated 3-19 and they switched me from green to blue. :-?

superman
07-18-2010, 11:39
Oh wait...I sent in my check dated 3-19 and they switched me from green to blue. :-?

Oh wait...the mistery deepens. I can't find in my statements that it was cashed. Hmmmm. I wonder what happened to it.:eek:

Lugnut
07-18-2010, 12:59
Last time I donated it took Rick quite a while to cash the check. Might take even longer now since he's hiking.

berkshirebirder
07-18-2010, 14:15
We will not accept any mail in donations for those wishing to become donating members between the dates of 15 February 2010 and 15 October 2010.

If your donating members status is due to expire between these dates then you may want to think about sending in you donations before 15 February 2010 and you will have your status extended so that you will not expire during these dates. --WB home page

This could explain the delay. Maybe it should be made a "sticky" at the top of the message board? Can any admins chime in on this?

10-K
07-18-2010, 14:24
I just bleep over stuff that gets on my nerves. I figure I probably get on some folks nerves from time to time myself.

weary
07-18-2010, 18:34
I joined White Blaze the last time Wingfoot banned me from trailplace. I found it a refreshing contrast. Sadly White Blaze moderators increasingly emulate the worse of the old trail place. The new trail place that took over for wingfoot is so boring that I rarely visit anymore. Is it still around?

Weary

Gray Blazer
07-18-2010, 21:05
I joined White Blaze the last time Wingfoot banned me from trailplace. I found it a refreshing contrast. Sadly White Blaze moderators increasingly emulate the worse of the old trail place. The new trail place that took over for wingfoot is so boring that I rarely visit anymore. Is it still around?

Weary

I don't know I've never been there. Was there a cold blooded amphibian moderator over there?

Juut kidding alligator

TOW
07-19-2010, 07:28
I consider you a good friend......

TOW
07-19-2010, 07:37
WB is a wealth of information for young and old alike that are on the same walk of life. Hiking, be it on the AT or other trails in the world is a way of life for many and this is the best place I know of to come and share your good times or bad times, your experiences along with your triumph's. WB is a place to get encouraged and properly instructed from those who have hiked the hike that you are on or are going to be.

Even though I am not as popular as I once was here I am still here even after I have "threatened" to never return here. And that is a cool thing, not to be popular that is. Because hiking is not a popularity rating. It is just like my friend Lone Wolf puts it, "It's just walking!"

Gray Blazer
07-19-2010, 09:31
Even though I am not as popular as I once was here

You are popular. Anyone who doesn't think so is poopular.

chief
07-19-2010, 10:58
WB is like a scab. You know if you leave it alone it will heal and fall off, but that would be boring.

Gray Blazer
07-19-2010, 14:02
WhiteBlaze is supposed to be a community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts.

To a few attention seekers it's kinda like High School.

Cookerhiker
07-19-2010, 14:35
WhiteBlaze is supposed to be a community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts.....

...and a few morons.:D

Gray Blazer
07-19-2010, 15:47
...and a few morons.:D

I resemble that remark.

superman
07-19-2010, 16:02
I resemble that remark.

Um...I think he means me.:confused:

Cookerhiker
07-19-2010, 16:12
Are you kidding? I'm not gonna mess with anyone named Superman.;)

weary
07-19-2010, 18:24
WhiteBlaze is supposed to be a community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts.....and a few morons.
Those are not separate categories. A few morons are part of every community.

Cookerhiker
07-19-2010, 20:15
Ah, you mean they're a subset.

JAK
07-19-2010, 20:27
It is amazingly tolerant of my ill-conceived theories and half-baked schemes.

What more could a guy like me ask for really.

Cookerhiker
07-19-2010, 20:28
It is amazingly tolerant of my ill-conceived theories and half-baked schemes......

To say nothing of your verbosity.:p

Tinker
07-19-2010, 20:32
My wife and I met here:sun

Well that's one of the best reasons I've heard. :)

Tinker
07-19-2010, 20:37
I like Whiteblaze because you're more likely to meet a member of this forum on the AT than members of other hiking forums, since we're AT enthusiasts.
Its members also willingly share their knowledge of trail conditions and AT related newsworthy events with other members.

Oh - and I get to play English teacher from time to time :D.

Gray Blazer
07-19-2010, 21:30
I am definitely without a doubt the most humble person on WB.

Chaco Taco
07-19-2010, 21:32
I used to be pretty regular on this site. I have met alot of really good people here including my wife, as I metioned above. Despite the ignorant, selfish a**holes that frequent this site, it is a pretty good place to get info on what you need to know about backpacking and long distance hiking. The rest is left up to experience, and that is the true teacher. I used to be one of em, but some people spend entirely way too much time on this site talking nonsense and trying to boost their ego. I have a love hate relationship with this site but I do have some gratitude towards it.

emerald
07-19-2010, 21:41
Oh - and I get to play English teacher from time to time :D.

Thank you. Now if only there were German lessons for the uninitiated.

TOW
07-20-2010, 07:35
Um...I think he means me.:confused:I am sorry, I cannot let you steal the spotlight. I am sure that he means me..........:eek:

TOW
07-20-2010, 07:37
I used to be pretty regular on this site. I have met alot of really good people here including my wife, as I metioned above. Despite the ignorant, selfish a**holes that frequent this site, it is a pretty good place to get info on what you need to know about backpacking and long distance hiking. The rest is left up to experience, and that is the true teacher. I used to be one of em, but some people spend entirely way too much time on this site talking nonsense and trying to boost their ego. I have a love hate relationship with this site but I do have some gratitude towards it.
Well said!

Gray Blazer
07-20-2010, 08:56
I used to be one of em, but some people spend entirely way too much time on this site talking nonsense and trying to boost their ego.

I would never do that.

Sassafras Lass
08-04-2010, 15:53
I love that this website exists - I would be so much in the dark concerning Appalachian Trail lore and information that it would be daunting to even get started.

I love that there are all kinds of people here - people who have already hiked the trail, maybe multiple times, or are in the same boat as myself.

I will say that this is only one of a handful of forums that I frequent, mostly because I've got better things to do on a beautiful day than waste my time in front of a screen, but I am appalled at the behavior of some of the users. All of this snide talk, rude remarks, inability to forgive forget and move on, and sometimes just downright hateful speech that I know they cannot possibly say in public. The anonymity of the internet certainly seems to enhance egos, who will take it as means to abuse others. I'm not saying that's not prevalent elsewhere, but my God, I sure see a ton of threads where people are just outright attacking each other for no damn reason. Given that we're all adults here, I am heavily disappointed in that. Certainly we can all get along on some kind of common ground - say, the AT? - and let bygones be bygones.

That is my only complaint about this wonderful website. If only every hobby and interest has as good a forum . . . .

turtle fast
08-04-2010, 19:02
Whiteblaze is a place for information, also jokes, wisecracks and bantor. Truely, if you needed to know something you mostly get an answer with some humor. However Whiteblaze is also a home for compassion and support...I don't need to mention how many times help has been offered for various causes and peoples.
Banter between some here may get misconstrued, not to say it does not happen, but many folks here know each other outside of this electronic medium and have friendly ribbing...a guy thing I think.

Bare Bear
08-06-2010, 11:31
Lone Wolfs post counting. Oh yeah that was on the 'what's bad' thread too!
Just kidding folks, lighten up.