PDA

View Full Version : Women hiking alone

becky27
07-12-2010, 16:45
I am considering thru-hiking in 2012. I had some friends express interest in joining me, but I don't know how serious they are. It is a possibility that I would be doing most of the trail by myself. I would like to hear from other women who have thru-hiked alone, or anyone know knows something about it. Is there fear of assault? How safe is it to go alone for a woman?
Thanks.

garlic08
07-12-2010, 18:12
My wife thru-hiked solo in 2002. She's an experienced traveler who exercised plenty of common sense and didn't have any gender-related problems. She met plenty of other solo women hikers and shared some quality trail time with a few of them.

Sierra Echo
07-12-2010, 18:15
Just carry some wasp spray. If anyone messes with you, spray them.
Then hit them a few times with your stick to improve their manners.

RGB
07-12-2010, 18:24
From what my lady hiker friends tell me, the trail has an overall female-friendly vibe. There's always going to be a creep factor at some point, especially if you're doing a thru, but as long as you exercise common sense you should be fine. A small canister of pepper-spray might bring you some comfort, but I doubt you would have to use it, and anything else would be overkill. I'm planning my thru for 2012 as well! Looks like a SOBO right now. Happy planning! :welcome

becky27
07-12-2010, 19:06
Thank you all for the input, both humorous and useful. I wonder how much pepper spray weighs...
I'm currently reading "In Beauty May She Walk", a memoir about a 60 year old woman who thru-hiked mostly alone. I'm only on page 131, but so far she has had no trouble. Then again, she's sixty, and I'm 20 (will be 22 when I hike). I guess I will just keep the tips of my hiking sticks sharp and gain some muscle in these next two years.

Walkin' Dude: I was thinking of planning a SOBO as well. I graduate college in mid-May of that year, and people have been telling me that, due to the timing, a NOBO would be a no-go. I was considering also a flip-flop, but I kinda wanted to do it in one big epic adventure. We'll see.

becky27
07-12-2010, 19:07
*My bad, I meant a SOBO would probably be a no-go, since the park up north closes October 15th. So I'm planning a NOBO or a flip-flop. So many terms to remember!

RGB
07-12-2010, 21:16
*My bad, I meant a SOBO would probably be a no-go, since the park up north closes October 15th. So I'm planning a NOBO or a flip-flop. So many terms to remember!

So are you planning to wait til after October to start? I'm graduating in May also and plan to head to Maine on June 1st, perfect timing for a SOBO. So unless you're not starting as late as September or anything, it looks like you'd have a good chance for a SOBO.

becky27
07-12-2010, 23:57
So are you planning to wait til after October to start? I'm graduating in May also and plan to head to Maine on June 1st, perfect timing for a SOBO. So unless you're not starting as late as September or anything, it looks like you'd have a good chance for a SOBO.

:confused:
Ok, I'm obviously not on planet Earth today. Yes, you're right, I'm planning a SOBO. Things aren't looking good for me if I can't even plan which route I'm taking! But definitely SOBO this time. That's my final answer! :D

I've been reading very encouraging things on the woman's section of this forum (where I should have posted this in the first place, duh). So, overall, I'm feeling much more confident about a solo hike. Now I'm just worrying about plain ol' loneliness! It sounds like a lot of people meet and hike with others along the way, so maybe I won't be so lonely afterall.

RGB
07-13-2010, 00:44
:confused:
Ok, I'm obviously not on planet Earth today. Yes, you're right, I'm planning a SOBO. Things aren't looking good for me if I can't even plan which route I'm taking! But definitely SOBO this time. That's my final answer! :D

I've been reading very encouraging things on the woman's section of this forum (where I should have posted this in the first place, duh). So, overall, I'm feeling much more confident about a solo hike. Now I'm just worrying about plain ol' loneliness! It sounds like a lot of people meet and hike with others along the way, so maybe I won't be so lonely afterall.

Haha, no worries. You do indeed tend to meet up with people along the way. Sometimes people will get themselves in a group and stay together the whole way (rare), other times I hear it's cycles of being alone, hiking with a group for a while, alone again, another group, and so on. I've done a bit of both, and each has its benefits.

When you're alone out there, you find out some things about yourself you didn't know before. It can be a nurturing experience. The longest I've been out there alone is 2 weeks, nothing compared to a thru, but I held up fine mentally and emotionally. Everyone's different and some people will crack earlier than that or not at all from the loneliness. When I say crack, I don't literally mean go insane, but either talk to themselves a lot (nothing wrong with that!) or go home early.

As far as meeting up with others goes, it's an amazing experience. You have the same goals, so that's an instant bond you share right there. Everyone I've met and hiked with on the trail have generally been good people that helped and encouraged me along the way. Every group of people has the odd d-bag and/or tool, but I've yet to meet one in person on the trail.

I think you'll enjoy it either way, and I'm sure we'll get our fair share of both in 2012. Hope to see you out there!

jesse
07-13-2010, 04:15
Never hitch alone.

Spokes
07-13-2010, 13:56
You probably have more "fear of assault" in Seattle than on the trail.

I'm curious. Do you think you'll lose what "self preservation" instincts you have now the moment you step foot on the trail?

Wise Old Owl
07-13-2010, 19:18
Just carry some wasp spray. If anyone messes with you, spray them.
Then hit them a few times with your stick to improve their manners.

Stupid advice and you know it.

By the way if you ever do that - expect dire consequences and some time well spent with a police officer.

There are micro or mini pepper spray units just like the micro Bic's to answer the other post.

Becky there are lots of reasons to hike with Friends and hike alone... Do what you feel makes you comfortable. I know it's different for the females here but hiking alone allows one to get ones thoughts together and a feeling of accomplishment.

Don't forget to strike up conversations with folk and enjoy the camaraderie.

Ironbelly
07-13-2010, 21:55
Small can of bear spray, will thwart any bear or other two or four legged walking creatures efforts no matter what they may be.

DapperD
07-13-2010, 22:16
I am considering thru-hiking in 2012. I had some friends express interest in joining me, but I don't know how serious they are. It is a possibility that I would be doing most of the trail by myself. I would like to hear from other women who have thru-hiked alone, or anyone know knows something about it. Is there fear of assault? How safe is it to go alone for a woman?
Thanks.As safe as the AT can be, there are always going to be risks involved for the individual who plans to head out and hike it, wether it be short or long distance/duration. If you look at suggestions from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, and also from other books such as "The A.T.-How to Prepare for and Hike It" by Jan D. Curran, I believe they do have some suggestions for hikers who plan to go out alone. Some of the things I believe were mentioned is "statistically speaking", it is "somewhat safer" for male hikers than for females, it is "personally safer to hike with a partner than alone", when talking with strangers, keep the "details of your itinerary to yourself", pass up staying at shelters within a couple of miles of a road, if someone arrives at a shelter who makes you feel uncomfortable, move on no matter how tired, etc...there are other suggestions, and Jan Curran's book has a good section on personal safety. I believe though what most say is you really need also to use common sense and rely on your instincts, i.e., if something doesn't seem right, it's probably not. There is a fear factor to attempt to head out alone on a long A.T hike, or any hike for that matter, at least for a lot of us there is. It would probably pay to look for other's right here on this site to see if they plan to go around when you do, and maybe a few could at least begin together. Many who have already thru-hiked have stated that if you start Northbound around the beginning of April, there are many other thru-hikers starting at this time and you will usually be able to start out amongst them. Heading Southbound I believe there are other's but not as many as when choosing to go Northbound at the hight of the thru-hiking season.

Sierra Echo
07-13-2010, 22:18
Stupid advice and you know it.

By the way if you ever do that - expect dire consequences and some time well spent with a police officer.

There are micro or mini pepper spray units just like the micro Bic's to answer the other post.

Becky there are lots of reasons to hike with Friends and hike alone... Do what you feel makes you comfortable. I know it's different for the females here but hiking alone allows one to get ones thoughts together and a feeling of accomplishment.

Don't forget to strike up conversations with folk and enjoy the camaraderie.

If someone pulls a knife on me, I will fight back.
My Father has already told me he would come bail me out.
I would rather play it safe then end up in Dawson Forest with my head cut off.

DapperD
07-13-2010, 23:10
Here is a link to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's Personal Safety Tips for hikers:http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4806121/k.34A9/Personal_Safety__Awareness_Tips_for_AT_Hikers.htm

kyhiker610
07-13-2010, 23:36
hey there,
hiked this year a good section starting march 20, and only twice did i feel unsafe. both times it was just me and a male section hiker--2 different ones--and both times i just kept saying "my friends are right behind me" and "we're going wherever" and stuff like that. never really felt unsafe other than that. (both times were in the smokies, which i imagine see a lot of visitors who don't know trail etiquette and may appear overly friendly.)

my advice: stay calm. if you feel unsafe, pack up and go, even just a mile or two more. it will be totally worth it to feel safe than to feel stuck with someone who makes you nervous. other than that, no need to be concerned as long as you're smart about you're doing.

Edie
07-14-2010, 05:28
I would never hike alone as I'm a chicken. I'm not necessarily afraid of the people but I am scared of bears.

Spokes
07-14-2010, 09:10
Question?

Do threads like these help perpetuate the paranoia or serve to suppress it?

solstice
07-14-2010, 10:11
Question?

Perpetuate.

Have fun on your SOBO. You'll be fine solo.

becky27
07-15-2010, 13:28
Spokes- my intention was never to perpetuate paranoia. I was simply curious what people had to say on the topic, and now I am better informed about what hiking alone on the trail would be like. Thank you all for your responses. I feel much more confident about hiking the trail alone now if I have to.

Rain Man
07-15-2010, 15:07
Spokes- my intention was never to perpetuate paranoia. I was simply curious what people had to say on the topic, and now I am better informed about what hiking alone on the trail would be like. Thank you all for your responses. I feel much more confident about hiking the trail alone now if I have to.

Becky, my daughter started her NOBO alone, two days after turning 20. She loved her hike. Made friends right away, hardly ever hiked alone (unless she just wanted to, which she sometimes did), and often hiked in all-female groups. I realize you'll be SOBO and there will be fewer people, but I feel certain you can have a similar experience. If you'd like to chat/speak with her, I'll put y'all in touch. Best to you!

As far as Jan Curran's book; he's a hiker who hiked with a gun, so whatever "personal safety" advice he might share is (in my opinion) subject to being somewhat skewed. Take his advice (and mine) with a grain of salt. Hike your own hike.

Rain:sunMan

jesse
07-15-2010, 17:13
Question?

If the treat is genuine, it would be foolish to suppress the fear.

flemdawg1
07-15-2010, 17:22
Mmmmm, treats.

Edie
07-15-2010, 19:11
I would be chicken to hike alone.

DapperD
07-16-2010, 17:43
As far as Jan Curran's book; he's a hiker who hiked with a gun, so whatever "personal safety" advice he might share is (in my opinion) subject to being somewhat skewed. Take his advice (and mine) with a grain of salt. Hike your own hike.

Rain:sunMan

.Actually, the advice given by Jan Curran, the author of the book "The A.T.-How to Prepare for and Hike It" is no more "skewed" than the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's. Yes he hiked with a handgun. Yes he took two season's to complete it. Yes he was a recent retired Army Colonel. So what. He gives sound safety advice in this book, and actually states that in his opinion-"In the final analysis, the best advice is to leave the gun at home. Statistics do not warrant carrying a firearm, and you can use the weight for something more constructive." Hiking the A.T. has it's risks, just like going out into the real world and living your life does. Regardless of the beauty on the A.T., the wonderful people who are out there and all it has to offer, there are bad people and they unfortunately happen to go everywhere. If you choose to carry a weapon for protection or not, this is an individual choice only the person going out there can make. I agree completely-one needs to "Hike their own Hike".

RGB
07-16-2010, 17:56
Actually, the advice given by Jan Curran, the author of the book "The A.T.-How to Prepare for and Hike It" is no more "skewed" than the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's. Yes he hiked with a handgun. Yes he took two season's to complete it. Yes he was a recent retired Army Colonel. So what. He gives sound safety advice in this book, and actually states that in his opinion-"In the final analysis, the best advice is to leave the gun at home. Statistics do not warrant carrying a firearm, and you can use the weight for something more constructive." Hiking the A.T. has it's risks, just like going out into the real world and living your life does. Regardless of the beauty on the A.T., the wonderful people who are out there and all it has to offer, there are bad people and they unfortunately happen to go everywhere. If you choose to carry a weapon for protection or not, this is an individual choice only the person going out there can make. I agree completely-one needs to "Hike their own Hike".

I think the trail is more real than the "real world."

Tatum
07-17-2010, 07:44
I started a solo flip-flop (NOBO to Maine first) in Damascus, VA with the option of stopping in Harper's Ferry - guess what, I got discouraged because all the hikers I met on the trail started in GA and I felt left out of the experiences, comradeship, and stories they told. It really didn't bother me too much but just added to the list of reasons I didn't want to keep going and stopped in Harpers (mostly tired of living in the woods for a month and a 1/2). I would totally recommend starting in GA or ME if you plan on doing the whole thing and your schedule fits.

As far as safety, just find a welcoming group of hikers that don't mind you tagging a long. You'll eventually jump from group to group as schedules don't always match, but I would say 99% of everyone on the trail are quite nice and would rather see you safe than in danger. Good luck on your thru!:p

sbhikes
07-22-2010, 16:31
I hiked the PCT alone. Best thing I ever did. The PCT is different from the AT. There are less people. Every night for the first 700 miles there was someone camped near me. After that, I camped alone most nights with nobody anywhere near me. Sometimes I went days without seeing anyone. I loved it.

Hitchhiked alone without problems. I was able to get rides from really nice people who don't normally pick up hitchhikers. It's helpful that I'm ugly and in my 40s, too. Keeps the creeps away.

I felt there was less fear of assault in the wilderness than in any town or city. I carried no weapons of any kind and didn't feel the need.

Do it. It's better alone. Believe me. Alone you have the flexibility to be with others if you want and to be alone if you prefer it. If you go with someone you're stuck with them, you have to let them know whenever you have to go to the bathroom, you have to negotiate when to stop for the day and when to get up in the morning. Too much hassle if you ask me.

Turtle2
07-22-2010, 17:58
I, too, started alone. It is easy to be around folks if you want. The trail community looks after the hikers. It was not uncommon for people to be pass along information and to "keep an eye" on you.

Two examples: I stopped for lunch at a shelter one day and a couple addressed me by name (we had never met). They passed on the news that a lady I had hiked with for a couple of weeks had fallen and broken her ankle the week previous. We had separated two days before the accident as I was ill. How the knew me is still a mystery. Secondly: I was back on the trail out of Waynesboro, VA and in the late afternoon a couple of SOBO section hikers stopped to chat with me. "How far are you going? How long have you been out, etc." I hedged my answers by saying, "I don't know, it depends on how tired I get, blah, blah." They preceeded to warn me not to stop at the next shelter as there was a pretty creepy guy there with 3 other guys. They even asked if I had seen Deliverance! By this time in my thru, I had a good idea as who should be in the vacinity and began wondering who it could be. Long story short, I walked into the shelter and I indeed knew the 'creepy guy'. He was a good guy if a bit trail worn. The 3 other guys turned out to be 1 guy and 2 women.

Point is, you will know more about others on the trail than you would believe and the good folks on the trail watch out for each other. No worries

pixel
07-22-2010, 18:29
It's helpful that I'm ugly and in my 40s, too. Keeps the creeps away.

:D are you kidding me! how could you possibly be "ugly" if you had the beauty inside to hike such an awesome hike? silly girl! here's a quote you need to put on your bathroom mirror and read every day ... " You can take no credit for beauty at sixteen. But if you are beautiful at sixty, it will be your soul's own doing. ~Marie Stopes

pixel
07-22-2010, 18:32
(oops! thought i was using the "quote" feature above correctly. :) apparently not ... so ... sbhikes ... the above response was for you.)

DapperD
07-22-2010, 21:54
I hiked the PCT alone. Best thing I ever did. The PCT is different from the AT. There are less people. Every night for the first 700 miles there was someone camped near me. After that, I camped alone most nights with nobody anywhere near me. Sometimes I went days without seeing anyone. I loved it.

Do it. It's better alone. Believe me. Alone you have the flexibility to be with others if you want and to be alone if you prefer it. If you go with someone you're stuck with them, you have to let them know whenever you have to go to the bathroom, you have to negotiate when to stop for the day and when to get up in the morning. Too much hassle if you ask me.Sounds like it must have been great. As much as having other people around to be with and enjoy the good times with is fun, as you have said undertaking adventures and other major events alone can have a special quality all its own.:sun

gopher
07-23-2010, 13:48
If you have fears about anything then talking about it relieves the worry by sharing the experiences of others. For example if you worried about alien abduction on the trail then posting this fear would result in many hikers letting you know that it never happens and this fear is groundless..Talk about your fears of bears, cold, strangers, whatever, this is why we have this forum. Females that do not flirt will be treated as sisters by the males and we will tend to look out for and protect them. If you become an item with one of the hikers you will be his responsibility. It is much better to retain "sister" status. Have no fear about the hike use the survival skills you have learned since 12 years old.

sbhikes
07-23-2010, 22:52
Rehearsal - It's a nice sentiment, but I have reached the age where I'm invisible to men younger than a certain age. Freedom is what it is, really.

Kelleelynn
07-23-2010, 23:24
I usually always hike alone with my daughter. We also have never hiked anything like the AT. We are used to PA backwoods where if you ran into anyone it would be a surprise and not always a welcomed surprise. I can't say I really ever had problems. There was a few men I would have liked to run like hell from, but didn't. I don't think it is wise to show fear. I think you will be just fine hiking alone and have the security of knowing there are people around. Good luck!