PDA

View Full Version : campshoes

Megapixel
07-12-2010, 17:41
I've been a huge proponent of Kenkohs for a camp shoe, because of their therapeutic love they apply to my feet after a long hike. I've now seen these,

http://www.backpacker.com/gear-zone-gear-review-flip-flops/gear/14331

which i am certain are lighter ( my kenkohs, size 10, weigh 15 oz.). Anyone tried these out yet???

Mountain Wildman
07-12-2010, 18:37
I have a pair of these Adiddas Martial Art Shoes that I used for training, Cannot find a weight on them but they are very light, Probably less than half a pound for both, I've decided to buy a scale so I can really get my pack weight down, Then I'll know for sure.
http://www.blackbeltshop.com/images/4775.jpg

Megapixel
07-12-2010, 18:42
I have a pair of these Adiddas Martial Art Shoes that I used for training, Cannot find a weight on them but they are very light, Probably less than half a pound for both, I've decided to buy a scale so I can really get my pack weight down, Then I'll know for sure.
http://www.blackbeltshop.com/images/4775.jpg

Nice. are they comfortable?

Mountain Wildman
07-12-2010, 18:49
Very comfortable, Buttery soft leather with almost no soles, Designed specifically for Martial Arts, I used them while studying Tae Kwon Do. I just got the ones pictured for around 50 bucks. They were 40 when I bought them last but that was 15 years ago.

Luddite
07-12-2010, 19:40
Those North Face sandals look nice but they're a bit heavy. Illuminating LED lights?

Somebody needs to invent a camp shoe for Ultra lightweight backpackers in mind. Something that is sturdy and weighs around 3oz and can be used for stream crossings. I guess no Lightweight backpackers carry camp shoes anyways...

Megapixel
07-12-2010, 19:43
Those North Face sandals look nice but they're a bit heavy. Illuminating LED lights?

Somebody needs to invent a camp shoe for Ultra lightweight backpackers in mind. Something that is sturdy and weighs around 3oz and can be used for stream crossings. I guess no Lightweight backpackers carry camp shoes anyways...

yeah i saw that too. they weigh as much as my kenkohs. guess i'll stick with them.

Tagless
07-12-2010, 22:36
One thing to consider with using flip flops is that it's difficult wearing them with socks. In cold weather, wearing socks in camp makes a huge difference. If you only hike in warm weather, this might be a good option.

Until a lighter camp shoe becomes available, I'm quite happy with my "Croc like" Waldies @ 11 ounces.

jhonkevin
07-16-2010, 03:31
Camp shoes is a very nice shoes thus it is a very wear our legs so we will be feel a comfortable thus it have a latest modeling design in this shoes thus I love crocs, everything is a good closed toe shoe that keeps feet surprisingly warm without socks. are exceptionally light, I can not remember the exact weight, but are surprisingly lighter than Chaco sandals.

WILLIAM HAYES
07-16-2010, 09:23
dont need them just extra weight in your pack

Llama Legs
07-16-2010, 10:28
If you think you need camp shoes in warm weather, the Kenkohs look fine. In really cold weather, it's nice to dry out your hiking footwear overnight. In that case I like a warm shoe when in the shelter. Sanuk makes a couple shoes with fleece lining and have rubber soles. They're warmer than hiking boots when just hanging around. I'd get one size up (I wear a 9 and bought 10's in Sanuk, so that I can wear them loose with hiking socks). There's no science to the luxury of camp shoes, just use what makes you happy.:sun

ChinMusic
07-16-2010, 10:33
If pack weight is a concern, don't bring any. Just loosen the laces on your trail runners.

I bring Crocs when pack weight isn't a concern.

ExosC3
07-16-2010, 12:53
i find that Cros, as hideous as they are, are greta for backpacking bc they are SUPER light, and due to the heel strap, you can carabiner them anywhere on your pack. theyre also really nice for water and rocks if you need to forge..

turtle fast
07-16-2010, 13:09
Ive used Teva Hurricanes they can be used in cold weather with socks, has good traction (unlike Crocks) , shower with them...they have an antimicrobial additive as well.

SMSP
08-10-2010, 14:45
I brought Crocs for my camp shoes on the AT to Icewater Shelter. This was in Oct. 2009 and trail/camp conditions were slushy and wet. I couldn’t use my Crocs outside the shelter because the water/mud/slush was too deep and would have entered via the holes in the Crocs and/or via the open heal. When I had to go outside the shelter, I had to put my Vasque Breeze boots back on and just laced them loosely. It seems that most choices for camp shoes would have been no good for the camp conditions I experienced. And not every experience is the same. I will likely bring the Crocs again due to their light weight.

SMSP

leaftye
08-10-2010, 14:54

Check out the Inov-8 Evoskin sandals.

daltontr
11-21-2010, 13:07
dont need them just extra weight in your pack

I used to think that as well, but I now have a bottom entry Hennessy Hyperlite. Taking off and putting on a pair of hiking shoes isn't really difficult, but having a pair of light weight camp shoes is a very nice luxury.

daltontr
11-21-2010, 13:12
Check these out (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=35043).

http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1279405156_28050.jpg

daltontr
11-21-2010, 16:40
After reading through this thread, I decided to try and make a pair of slider sandals. No, they're not really very original and they certainly won't hold up to a lot of abuse, but they're especially useful for those short strolls in the wee (pun intended) hours of the morning. They are made from an old CCF floor mat and some extra straps from an even older external frame pack. I just traced an outline from a pair of Addidas slider sandals, cut them out with a box cutter, and then added some slits (just behind the ball of my foot) for the straps. Took less than 15 minutes to make and the pair weighs less than two ounces.

QiWiz
11-22-2010, 09:05
If pack weight is a concern, don't bring any. Just loosen the laces on your trail runners.

Amen to that. Never bring camp shoes. In cold weather do bring down booties for camp and toasty feet sleeping. Feathered Friends' has some that have a removable WP outer boot and still weigh just 9 oz the pair.

Tilly
11-22-2010, 10:04
I carried Tevas for my entire hike. Wouldn't be w/out them. Hiking with soaking wet, muddy feet for 10, 11, 12 hours a day, the last thing I want to do is keep my trail runners on around camp at night and in the morning, as well as all the walking I did around town. Lightweight or not.

wirerat123
11-24-2010, 16:54
$5 Croc knock offs. Had the same pair for 4 years. The bottoms no longer have a recognizable tread on them. Stream crossings, in camp, etc etc. Nothing better for the weight.

I've even hiked in them for a couple of days when I got a blister from my boots. No more boots, trail runners and crocks, both together weigh less than my boots alone, and are more versatile.

bigcranky
11-24-2010, 17:06
I'm with Tilly, every time I leave my camp shoes home to save weight, I regret it. When I get to camp and take off my wet trail runners and my soaking wet socks, and put on nice dry toasty warm socks, I am happy. Then when I have to go walk around outside, I have to put my wet shoes on over my dry socks -- and now I have wet socks again. Not fun.

Plenty of hikers don't bring camp shoes, though, so they must know something.

ChinMusic
11-24-2010, 17:47
I'm with Tilly, every time I leave my camp shoes home to save weight, I regret it. When I get to camp and take off my wet trail runners and my soaking wet socks, and put on nice dry toasty warm socks, I am happy. Then when I have to go walk around outside, I have to put my wet shoes on over my dry socks -- and now I have wet socks again. Not fun.

Bring two bread bags. Put on your dry socks. Pull the bread bags over your feet. Put your feet in your shoes. Socks stay dry inside the wet shoes. Weight addition of the bread bags is not measurable on my scale.