PDA

View Full Version : Water sources between Hampton, TN and Damascus VA

Tennessee Y'sGuy
07-12-2010, 22:00
I am planning to hike the AT from Hampton to Damascus in September 2010.Anyone know how plentiful the water is along that section? How is the terrain, the shelters,etc?

RGB
07-12-2010, 22:11
I am planning to hike the AT from Hampton to Damascus in September 2010.Anyone know how plentiful the water is along that section? How is the terrain, the shelters,etc?

I was there last month. DEFINITELY get water before doing Pond Mountain. Iron Mountain doesn't have much either. I would have carried 3 liters had I known it was that bad, then again I was using chlorine tabs.

Pond Mountain was a climb to me, probably not so much to others. Iron Mountain wasn't as bad. After that it levels out a lot.

The shelters were fine. There's been a bear sniffing around Watauga Lake Shelter, so hang your food there and hang it high. I could see claw marks on one of the trees that people frequently hang from. There is also a lot of raccoons at one of those shelters, can't remember exactly which one but there's a lot of amusing stories about them in the shelter log.

Water was really the only thing close to a problem for my week long section there. I had a great time and the scenery was beautiful. Make sure you stop by Laurel Fork Falls and Watauga Lake for a swim!

Praha4
07-12-2010, 22:46
A month ago, there was problem raccoon at Iron Mtn Shelter. The 26 miles from Iron Mtn Shelter to Damascus is one of the easiest 26 mile sections on the entire AT.

Water was becoming more scarce after you get north of Watauga Lake, some of the springs were going dry. Laurel Fork Falls area was an awesome area on the trail, worth the look all the way back to Kincora Hostel.

I would not start the day with less than 3L of water in that section during the hot summer season.

Tennessee Viking
07-12-2010, 23:53
Its been raining far apart...but when it rains...it Rains. The hardest section for water is going to be Iron Mountain after Wilbur Dam Road. Vandeventer is a 0.5 mile steep downhill from the shelter. Water can be if-fy until Iron Mtn Shelter. Grindstaff can dry up easily. Some times the bog bridges can be cloudy.

Sometimes there are water caches at 91 but don't expect them to be.

nitegaunt
07-13-2010, 07:07
It can be a little deceptive after going through the Laurel Fork area and seeing the waterfall then going around Watauga Lake. You get used to seeing so much water but after you pass the Dam and hit the uphill to Vandy shelter it gets really dry and that four or so miles with no water would feel like ten so be prepared to get some before you you make that climb.

JJJ
07-13-2010, 10:57
Unless we have a wet dog days, I'd say carry extra water.
Most of the water through there I'd term "unreliable" -especially September
There's a spring right on the trail about a mile before Vandeventer -should be easier than the shelter spring.
There's a good wet spot about a half mile before Double Spring Shelter on the trail also.
The spring behind the picnic table at the US 421 crossing is piped and fairly reliable.
After that, the 3 marked water sources going to Damascus will likely be very iffy

Doctari
07-13-2010, 13:15
Also, the climb down to & up from the spring at Vandyventer is VERY STEEP! Almost not worth the climb. Next time I'm there, and IF I stay at the shelter, I'll get water in the AM cause coming from the south is a pretty hilly section, while going N from the shelter is relatively easy. So my thought is, carry a little extra water for PM cooking, get rest overnight, then when fresh get water in the AM to "get the heart started" & continue on an easy tread to town.
When I was through there in 07 water was ample along the whole rte, but it had been a rainy 2 weeks prior to me arriving.
Even then, the springs at: Pond Mt, just south of & at Vandy shelter were very small. Took 35 minutes to get 3 L from the Vandy spring. I don't use a pump / filter so that wasn't the problem.