PDA

View Full Version : Help With Travel Planning for AT

Rocketman
07-13-2010, 08:52
I had a planned section hike involving a ride to Standing Bear Farm (Hartford, TN) - a section from Standing Bear to Erwin TN, and return home by shuttle to Johnson City and Greyhound bus back to Iowa.

The ride to Standing Bear vanished a few days ago because of "domestic problems".

I am looking for either doing the same section, or a different section with the need to get to and from trailheads economically and connect with public transportation.

I backpacked out of Harpers Ferry down to Shenandoah last year, and that was not too difficult to manage with the conditions I listed.

Can someone please suggest alternatives? I walk slowly due to age and would like to keep trip length to less than 3 weeks of slow walking. Lots of elevation gain per day for many days in a row is not desired because of the age issue.

I foolishly lent my 2010 guide to the now missing driver and am using my 2009 ones.

10-K
07-13-2010, 09:00
So do you need a shuttle from Johnson City to Standing Bear Farm?

Getting to Johnson City from Erwin after your hike would be easy - Uncle Johnny's could handle that for you and the trail goes right in front of the place.

Rocketman
07-13-2010, 09:19
So do you need a shuttle from Johnson City to Standing Bear Farm?
NO

Getting to Johnson City from Erwin after your hike would be easy - Uncle Johnny's could handle that for you and the trail goes right in front of the place.Johnson City to Iowa is the plan - by Greyhound bus. I know about the shuttle from Uncle Johnny's, having used it when I was there earlier.

Iowa to Standing Bear Farm is the problem. The original ride from Iowa to there is no longer possible.

Iowa to Knoxville TN is also Greyhound/Trailways possible. Knoxville to Standing Bear is probably only an expensive shuttle - awaiting word on those costs.

I am also asking about OTHER trips. Getting to the trail, and back is the essential problem. I don't drive, currently. So, the key is trips with affordable bus/air fare plus a means of getting from bus/air terminal to the AT, and a way back home.

My most recent guides were foolishly lent to the guy who was going to drive - and it is almost always a mistake to lend a book to anyone.

flemdawg1
07-13-2010, 13:41
Waynesville, NC is probably a closer stop to Standing Bear than Knoxville.

flemdawg1
07-13-2010, 16:56
63 miles from Greyhound Station in Knoxville
29.9 to Waynesville Greyhound Station

Rocketman
07-13-2010, 20:40
Thanks for the information on Waynseville. I'll look into it right away.

flemdawg1
07-14-2010, 17:45
I would personally call Curtis @ Standing Bear Farm and ask if it is the most convenient pickup though. But it appears to be a pretty straight shot down the interstate from him.

flemdawg1
07-14-2010, 17:53
here's a link to the online companion, just print the pages out that you need.
http://aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

emerald
07-14-2010, 18:54
Sometimes someone is even faster than me, but I don't do bad for someone trying to earn a living.

Rocketman
07-14-2010, 22:08
I would personally call Curtis @ Standing Bear Farm and ask if it is the most convenient pickup though. But it appears to be a pretty straight shot down the interstate from him.

You are absolutely right. Waynseville is the most convenient pickup point from Standing Bear, according to Curtis.

Thanks to all for the inputs, they have been very helpful.