PDA

View Full Version : Help me out guys

Knocky
07-13-2010, 11:43
I have hiked the area in Virginia many times in the past, but it has been a few years now since I was able to get up there.

My two brothers, both in their mid 60's, want to try a bit of the trail. We plan to go in from our old family farm in Crawfish Valley, and hike to Chestnut Ridge. Spend the night there, and come back out the next day. Date would be the end of July, 2010.

How 'doable' is this for three old guys in fairly decent shape? Looks like the distance is around 15 miles from point A to B.

We won't be carrying a lot of stuff. Couple of tarps, ground cloths, Thermarest pads. Cooling will be mostly mountain house, using a pocket rocket stove. Each of us will carry 4 ltr of water, and I'll have my Katadyn Pocket Pro with me.

Any advise or thoughts would be much appreciated.

couscous
07-13-2010, 11:49
Depends how you handle the elevation changes...
545.1 Crawfish Valley 2,600
546.8 Tilson Gap, Big Walker Mtn 3,500
548.2 VA 610 2,700
550.6 VA 42 Cernes 5.2E 2,650
551.5 Brushy Mtn 3,200
552.8 Knot Maul Branch Shelter 2,880
552.9 Spring 2,810
553.9 Lynn Camp Creek 2,400
554.7 Lynn Camp Mtn 3,000
558.1 USFS 222 2,380
560.0 Spring-fed pond 3,800
561.8 Chestnut Knob Shelter 4,409

Kerosene
07-13-2010, 12:05
Hmm, you're from Florida, mid-60s, with two brothers who I assume have limited backpacking experience, hiking in mid-July, and starting with consecutive 15-mile days.

My take is that you're pushing it. My rationale is that it will be hot, at least on the way up, and that you just won't enjoy trying to cover 15 miles right out of the chute. I covered most of that section southbound a few years ago in day, but it was also after a week of hiking and in early June before it was very hot.

Sounds as if you really want to start at the old homestead for sentimental reasons. Perhaps you can position a car on the other side of Chestnut Knob (can't remember the road, but there was a decent parking area there), and make this a 2-nighter? You could tarp at a stream a few tenths north of Knot Maul Branch Shelter, spend you second night atop Chestnut Knob, and walk a few miles to the car the third night.

Marta
07-13-2010, 12:14
That is definitely a rugged climb. Doesn't mean you can't do it, but it will be fairly taxing.

Cookerhiker
07-13-2010, 12:44
One key is weight. It helps that you're only out one night but do you really need to carry 4 liters each of water at a time? Couldn't you refill as you hike from water sources? As I recall from my '05 hike and as stated in Couscous's post, , water is not directly available at Chestnut Knob but you come by a spring or small pond 1.8 miles away. So you may want to bring 4 liters' worth of capacity to fill up for your night's camp but carry much less up to that water source, restocking as you go along. To treat the water, invest in Aqua Mira - it weighs nothing.

Caveat - I recommend you find out about the water sources as much as you can beforehand, especially with this hot dry summer much of the trail corridor has experienced.

Knocky
07-13-2010, 13:00
looking also at cutting some of the distance out, say starting off highway 42 near Ceres.

All three of us are in good shape. Older Brother climbs/hikes in the mountains of Nevada and California.
Younger one is a distance biker, lives in Michigan. I am the flat lander, but hike on a regular basis, mostly in and around the Osceola and Ocala National Forests.

Probably cold cut down to just the three ltr camelbacks. Not much other weight to worry with. I believe my pack will come in at around 16 pounds total.

Good points all, and thanks, I appreciate it.

Cookerhiker
07-13-2010, 13:08
looking also at cutting some of the distance out, say starting off highway 42 near Ceres.

All three of us are in good shape. Older Brother climbs/hikes in the mountains of Nevada and California.
Younger one is a distance biker, lives in Michigan. I am the flat lander, but hike on a regular basis, mostly in and around the Osceola and Ocala National Forests.

Probably cold cut down to just the three ltr camelbacks. Not much other weight to worry with. I believe my pack will come in at around 16 pounds total.

Good points all, and thanks, I appreciate it.

Just looking at how you described your collective experience, your oldest brother seems to have the most relevant conditioning experience but.....does he live out West? If so, then this hike will introduce him to Eastern summertime humidity!:D

Knocky
07-13-2010, 13:36
Just looking at how you described your collective experience, your oldest brother seems to have the most relevant conditioning experience but.....does he live out West? If so, then this hike will introduce him to Eastern summertime humidity!:D

You may well be right. :) He has lived in Vegas for about 6 years now, but prior to that, was living in the Philippines, Japan, and Virginia.
He is an accomplished hiker and mountain guy.

Knocky
08-15-2010, 17:24
We wound up just staying on Walker Mountain for a couple of days and nights. Did not hike that far, mostly just sat around and chatted, catching up on what we have missed with each other in the past couple of years.

Gear worked fine. Food was great, a good time was enjoyed by all.
http://i626.photobucket.com/albums/tt349/Knocky/Knocky%202010/WalkerMountain.jpg

Bare Bear
08-18-2010, 12:00
A trip you will always remember I bet. In 06 on the AT my brother from NY who had never hiked in his life showed up at Grove Furnace State Park and surprised me with his own day hiking gear. He had secretly trained for months to be able to hike just a few miles that day with me and not slow me down! It was one thing for one day but I will always love him more for it.