PDA

View Full Version : shenandoah tent site in NY section?

ExosC3
07-13-2010, 14:26
Is anyone familiar with this location? I am thru hiking the NY section in august and saw this listed in my book, right where i end one of my days...any good? the only shenandoah im familiar with is the natnl park in VA, one of my favorite places.

A-Train
07-13-2010, 14:33
Is anyone familiar with this location? I am thru hiking the NY section in august and saw this listed in my book, right where i end one of my days...any good? the only shenandoah im familiar with is the natnl park in VA, one of my favorite places.

IMO, this is a very underated place, because of its close proximity to RPH shelter, where everyone flocks to to order pizza. I've never slept at Shen, but I've hiked up there, just off the AT, it is a nice grassy field with lots of space on a hill and has a covered cooking pavilion with picnic table. I believe there is also water (a spigot?) and a toilet up there. Enjoy

ExosC3
07-13-2010, 14:38
yea, water is the main reason were gonna stop there and the RPH shelter is pushing it for the day...we'll see what it looks like, just wanted to get an idea...thanks

Simba
07-13-2010, 15:01
Keep a close eye on the blazes going thru the Bear Mt. area. I had a bad fall last week (hitting the trail NOBO again by Friday) and ended up on the trail of 1777 (a nine mile loop off the trail!). I also noticed a lot of white blazes painted black in that area. But after the MT. it was blazed well. When you get to Dennytown rd there is a stone pump house next to the road with camping behind it. The pump house has a spigot on it with great water that needs no filtering. Godspeed.

Rye

ExosC3
07-13-2010, 15:56
thanks for the tips....

ill agree, while ive only done bits and pieces in no particular order in NY, while reading through each mile in my AT book, i noticed 2 things.

a) its close to a lot of roads and runs on a number of roads
b) it seems like the blazes get pretty confusing at a certain point, where your on and off fire roads/AT/other trails all at the same time....i got confused just reading it.

the book i have is really clear, but Im already thinking im gonna be refering to it more than Id like...

ohh tri state...

Cookerhiker
07-13-2010, 16:11
I've hiked the part of NY east of the Hudson twice with a few minor problems finding the trail but nothing costing me much time. I had planned to camp around Shenandoah Mt. but an absolutely drenching thunderstorm (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=103012) convinced me to push on to RPH.

I still think it's funny that there's a "Shenandoah Mountain" in NY. As I recall, Shenandoah means "daughter of the stars" in some native tongue - Iroquois?

Old Grouse
07-13-2010, 16:16
The Shenandoah tenting site is very nice, as described above. There's a building that's locked up, but the other facilities are in good order, and the last time I was there the lawn had been recently mowed. In my opinion, the turnoff from the AT could be a little better marked (left for NOBOs), but that's a minor complaint.

ExosC3
07-13-2010, 20:46
cool thanks guys.

im contemplating how much water to take...i was considering taking two 3L camel backs since itll be the first week of august. thing is, there seems to be a water source at the end of each day, so we shouldnt run into too many problems, but were seein a drought here in NJ right now so Im a little worried.

i have a filter and everything, but not sure if its really necessary to have 6L. we will be doing 15 miles a day, 6 days, 90 miles. anyone have knowledge on typical august water conditions up there? dont feel like carrying 13lbs of water lol

LIhikers
07-13-2010, 21:41
........there seems to be a water source at the end of each day, so we shouldnt run into too many problems, but were seein a drought here in NJ right now so Im a little worried.

The stream at Telephone Pioneer shelter is dry and the pump at the Wiley shelter is not working.
That's what I heard yesterday from some maintainers.

ExosC3
07-13-2010, 22:21
oh boy.....

Old Grouse
07-14-2010, 06:14
Well we had multi-hour drenching rain yesterday afternoon so maybe that will help a little

ExosC3
07-14-2010, 11:31
lets hope so..weve pinned down the date for sure now and we'll be startin out at greenwood lake by the marina on the 6th, so 2 more weeks or so. hopefully we get more rain from now till then, but id be fine with dry backpacking for a week :)

veteran
07-16-2010, 08:52

Check this thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53974&highlight=shenandoah+tent+site