PDA

View Full Version : What a SCORE!

Smile
07-13-2010, 19:55
Wow, I am so excited about the score I made today at a local thrift shop, I just have to share it! Don't be jealous now, I was in the right place, at the right time, in the right aisle.....thank goodness that the people in the back who make the prices aren't hikers!

Found this little package of what I thought were aluminum pans, picked it up and it said "Snow Peak Titanium", no way! So I opened it up and it's a full kit with a frying pan and two other pans and a brand new pepsi can stove ( not home made!) none of which had been used before, not a scratch or dent! And what was the price on top? One Dollah. Yes, hard to believe, but these things do happen out there. Happy hiking everyone....hmmm, is this a good place for a dancing banana? Appropriate? I think so....:banana

Smile
07-13-2010, 19:56
Oh yeah, almost forgot, this is my week....last weekend at a yard sale I found a brand new with tags, men's Marmot rain coat for $3.00 I've got to start keeping my eyes open!

Hikes in Rain
07-13-2010, 20:09
Oh, man what a score! Congratulations, you certainly have bragging rights. And, with the best of intentions, Like Mags, YOU SUCK! :)

Really, great score!

Luddite
07-13-2010, 20:16
Nice! I never find anything good in thrift stores. Where do you live?

Smile
07-13-2010, 20:38
Does Mags get cool scores too, excellent! Way to go, they can be rare, I have to admit, this was the first two times I found anything like this :) Photo attached for those who want to see the lovely $1.00 sticker....no direct photo upload? Seems I have to post it elsewhere on the web......

Llama Legs
07-13-2010, 20:56
you'll never get tired of telling that one at the shelters...:D

zelph
07-13-2010, 21:48
Whoooo!!!!! the best I've heard of, sweetness:banana

Many Walks
07-13-2010, 23:03
It's good to be you!

Feral Bill
07-13-2010, 23:24
Well done! That could have fallen into the wrong hands and been turned into a dog dish or such.

Venture Owl
07-14-2010, 00:14
An ultra-light dog dish. I have also heard of finding old down quilts and gutting them for the feathers for some DIY homemade gear.

Smile
07-14-2010, 06:34
That's a great idea about the quilts! I assume you could probably take apart old down jackets too. Hikers sure can get creative when it comes to home made gear.

Mrs Baggins
07-14-2010, 07:02
I am going to hit both Goodwill stores in town! We don't have much in the way of what I consider to be "good" thrift stores - stores that actually get things that are consignment-store and antiques-store worthy. Had several great thrifts in Denver. Seems with the advent of craigs list and ebay, about all I ever see in thrift stores now is 1000s of ugly glasses, coffee cups, worthless book-club editions of books, really bad "paintings" and ugly clothing. The ones here are mostly filled with just pure junk, but I'll give it a try and burrow down into the garbage to see what might be there!

daddytwosticks
07-14-2010, 07:28
If you are that lucky, go out and by a lottery ticket NOW! :)

Uncle Cranky
07-14-2010, 07:42
Hunting for sweet deals in thrift stores is like searching for diamonds.
You have to dig through a lot of rubble to find the jewels!
Happy hunting y'all.

zelph
07-14-2010, 09:46
An ultra-light dog dish. I have also heard of finding old down quilts and gutting them for the feathers for some DIY homemade gear.

Oh Yes!!!!............recently saw a King Size for $15.00 and a Qween for $10.00.............search for them in your area all you DIY'ers

mykl
07-14-2010, 14:56
Nice! Dancing banana is very appropriate.

flemdawg1
07-14-2010, 17:41
My TS finds:
Current solo cookpot 3 cup Aluminum pot w/out handle $0.25 (weight 4oz)
Wife's $200 Eddie Bauer Goretex parka found for <$1 (fill a bag sale at Humane Society)
Oldest Daughter's Marmot Precip Jacket ~$2
Coffee Press <$1
merlitta Drip Cone coffee maker
Stuff sacks
Nalgenes
Kids tent
Patagonia and North Face base layers
internal frame pack for kid
Smartwool socks
wife's Adidas and Merrell trail runners (can't find any for me :-( )
Kids hiking clothes
Most my own hiking clothes (pants, shirts, fleece)

Smile
07-14-2010, 17:49
You got me beat Flemdawg1! Way to go, that is so excellent that you scored that much hiking stuff for so little. I know to hikers it seems crazy to let that stuff go....but sometimes it falls into the hands of people who have no clue what it's worth :)

I think I'll give a dancing banana to you! :banana