PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a hiking partner

Mistie
07-14-2010, 01:56
I have been thinking about hiking the trail for a long time. I'm a 60 yr. old retired school teacher and if I'm going to do the trail it is now.
However, I am looking for someone to hike it with. Does anyone know where I can look or if you are interested please email me.
Thanks

Breathe
07-14-2010, 12:27
I just started hiking this year, after 30 years of dreaming about the AT. I've been doing day hikes this year, and dealing with injuries. I want to thru-hike in 2011. Trying to get myself ready, in spite of osteoporosis and mild emphysema. I just go a little slower than most and stop to rest a little more often. I'm up to 8 miles a day in Boone-Blowing Rock NC area, fairly strenous.
Just go for it. Start slow on whatever trails you can find in your area. I would prefer a buddy to hike with but if I sat around and waited on a partner, I'd never get anywhere!! Don't be afraid to go by yourself. It will give you more confidence.

RETCW4
07-14-2010, 12:39
I have been thinking about hiking the trail for a long time. I'm a 60 yr. old retired school teacher and if I'm going to do the trail it is now.
However, I am looking for someone to hike it with. Does anyone know where I can look or if you are interested please email me.
Thanks

Misti

You might try the Hooking up thread. I will be starting April 1, 2011 myself.

Tumbleweed

Mistie
07-14-2010, 15:13
Are you looking for a partner? I'm in fairly good shape now and working on more. I have been going to the gym, cycling...did 70 miles this week and a little jogging and lots of walking.
If you want to hook up just let me know. I'm in New Jersey....I have been told I make a good hiking partner. I've already done most of PA, NJ, NY, Conn. and a short distance in Mass.
Let me know.

HiKen2011
07-14-2010, 15:18
Hi Mistie,

Are you going North or South? I would be interested in Northbound. Let me know.

HiKen2011

Mistie
07-14-2010, 15:19
Either way is good for me. I just hate the cold, but I can deal with it. Let's connect.

art gypsy
07-16-2010, 14:46
I don't mind hiking alone, I hike and camp on a regular basis during the summer. I would really prefer to have someone to hike with. I find it more enjoyable and it is nice to be able to share certain items to reduce pack weight. Also, most of my backpacker's pantry meals are designed for two. I'll be leaving NOBO early to mid March. I am a 37 y/o professional photographer and do make occasional photo stops but can catch up at lunch or in the evening. Feel free to contact me.

SawnieRobertson
07-17-2010, 11:56
Hey, Mistie! Looks like you are having some good responses. Is it possible that you will be moving south like in Pennsylvania or Virginia? And might you be interested in some bicycle touring in prep?--KInnickinic

DapperD
07-17-2010, 18:52
Thanks
Mistie, you can post in and also reply to the "Hooking Up" forum here on Whiteblaze. This is for people looking for hiking partners. Also the thread "2011 Thru-Hike Registry" is for people who are planning and announcing their intentions to thru-hike next year(season). I don't know wether or not you are planning to thru-hike, but if you are you can check there and maybe find someone who you can go with. Good Luck

Bare Bear
07-30-2010, 17:17
Where ever you go on the AT you will meet wonderful and helpful folks. Use common sense and trust your gut instincts. Have a great hike.

Carbo
07-31-2010, 14:02
Are you looking for a partner? I'm in fairly good shape now and working on more. I have been going to the gym, cycling...did 70 miles this week and a little jogging and lots of walking.
If you want to hook up just let me know. I'm in New Jersey....I have been told I make a good hiking partner. I've already done most of PA, NJ, NY, Conn. and a short distance in Mass.
Let me know.

Mistie, I'm near the Jersey shore and always looking for hiking partners for the training hikes I've been doing around the Delaware Water Gap area. I also do local hikes in the hilly parks around here, averaging about 6 mi/day and can do 8-12 mile day hikes. There's a 50-50 chance I will be doing a NOBO thru-hike in 2011, and I want to be ready for it if things fall in place. So if your looking for a training partner, I would be happy to join. I just can't guarantee the thru hike yet.

Free Range Chicken
08-12-2010, 11:17
Hello Mistie and others. I am considering a 2011 nobo starting midMarch. Would be interested in starting out with hiking companions. I have also been a teacher.

HawksLanding
08-18-2010, 15:18
Hi Mistie and others,
I'm 54 and am hoping to do a thru hike in 2011. Am interested in partners as well, am located in VA near the SNP and Charlottesville, looking for people to do local training hikes with, chat, support, etc. Please connect...

mkingsva
08-18-2010, 23:42
Dear Hawks,

I am 52 yo and I am section hiking in Virginia. I am up for any part you are interested in going. I have already finished Map 1 of Southern Virginia, but there are lots of trails still out there. I just need 45 days lead time to arrange my work schedule. Let me know.

Bob Ashe
09-01-2010, 11:21
I am available whenever you are. My start date doesn't mean much to me. Have pack will travel. I am pretty light on my feet, making miles is not important.

northernstorm
09-07-2010, 19:38
Let me know.
hi mistie. i am leaving in between march 5th or the 14th. i live in cold spring NY. maybe my wife and i can meet up with ya sometime.

Lightkeeper
09-24-2010, 22:45
Agreed..do it now. I had to put it off and now, at 65, I'm finally going (2011). Am doing 7-9 mi hikes with light pack, working my way up. Also biking, and getting back to trail running. I can build up the distance but we're short on mountains. Planning to head to NC, near Boone, for part of Oct and Nov to do some hiking.

lonewolftrekker
09-25-2010, 08:48
Hey Mistie having Noboed this year and going thru again next year, let me say there will be somany people out there a partner shouldnt be much of a concern.. I went solo this year and had somebody nearby at a steady constant... hikers will always be there.

horicon
09-25-2010, 09:25
Are you a thru hiker??? or a Section Hiker??

4eyedbuzzard
09-25-2010, 09:38
Hi Mistie,
I'm not a hiking partner - but you may likely have taught my kids! We lived in PP for many years. Just wanted to say "Hi, and enjoy your hike."

tawa
09-28-2010, 13:46
I'm looking at departing March 1st NOBO. Anyone else planning on leaving on that date?

tawa
09-28-2010, 14:05
Which date are you leaving on NOBO?

tawa
09-29-2010, 09:27
Hi Mistie,
I'm strongly considering a NOBO departure on March 1st. When are u planning on departing and from where?

mdhiker
09-29-2010, 10:29
Hi Mistie...

You should log on to Yahoo.com and look for the Women Hikers Group....a dedicated list of hikers of all ages, abilities....but many thru-hikers with experience and advice, etc....you couldn't find a better group of women to write to and chat about hiking, back-packing......

Subscribe to it.....say "Rosie" sent you.

Walk in beauty,

Rosie/mdhiker

lonewolftrekker
09-29-2010, 12:39
Are you a thru hiker??? or a Section Hiker?? thru, to Mass atleast.

Red Hat
09-29-2010, 13:25
Stumblewolf, I think most of these are ladies of a bit more mature who are trying to find someone with whom to hike. As a mature female hiker, I found it much more difficult to find a hiking partner who hiked at my pace. Unlike the younger group you hiked with last year.... Good luck to all!

tawa
09-29-2010, 16:25
Mistie,
I would like to start my NOBO journey on March 1st. Is anyone interested in leaving at that time and then see what our various pace/level of hiking is and adjust after the first day or so. There will be folks starting but understand its nice to leave the gate with someone else and then meet folks shortly after.
Your thoughts.
bdale
Tawa

nighthiker
10-07-2010, 08:38
do you have a web site with your photography, check out this thru hikers blog http://benbenvieblog.com/2010/06/ , I was wondering if you know if they make a digital camera that shots in black & white as well as color? you can see his trail pics and he took a few B&W...seen you name on here as I am getting ready for the 2011 season as well, painting & drawing as I go and hope to make a few trades at hostels for a bunk or meal with my work.....hope you hace some insight to sare with me on the B&W...look for your reply