PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for a week trip in the NorthEast? (Aug 1)

Makers_Mark34
07-14-2010, 13:08
I have a good amount of hiking experience, having spend a lot of time hiking in the Adirondack Mountains up until two years ago. I'm trying to talk my two friends into making a trek up to the Mountains this fall for a canoeing/bping trip, but they're a bit hesitant. So I suggested that we take a week to just hike the AT (I've never been), get familiar with our gear (they are noobs :-?), and for the most part, get comfortable with the wilderness before we head into the Adirondacks for a more solitary adventure. We live in SouthCentral PA and I've heard that most of the trails in Pennsylvania are uninteresting. Is this true? I see pictures of breathtaking landscapes through Virginia trail, but PA images look a lot like my own backyard.
Any suggestions for a 7 day hike for healthy 22 year-old's who want to see some cool elements of the trail on the first week of August? The more times I can get my companions to stop and say "woah", the more likely I'll be able to drag them along to New York with me later this summer. Thanks for any help.

OldFeet
07-14-2010, 14:20
As a New Englander I'm partial to Vermont. The White Mountains in New Hampshire have the views that will get a lot of "wows" but the Whites are also some of the toughest hiking on the trail.

If you started in North Adams, MA and head north this should give you time to get over the top of a couple of the Vermont ski areas such as Stratton Mt. and Bromley which will give you a few good view points. The shelters here are well spaced to give you some flexibility.

You don't mention the mileage you have in mind but 10 miles a day will get you about half way through Vermont. The bridge at Big Branch is closed so that may be a factor in your planning though I understand a number of hikers have been fording it with the low water level.

Slo-go'en
07-14-2010, 14:33
I second southern or central Vermont. Its rugged enough to be interesting, but not so much as to be overly difficult. PA, VA and points south are best done in the spring or fall, not in the middle of summer.

Makers_Mark34
07-21-2010, 22:20
Looks like we're going to be staying around PA because it's harder than we thought to get rides to and from Vermont or Massachusetts. We'll be starting out at Caledonia State Park and most likely working our way south.

Our plans obviously aren't set in stone, I was wondering if there are any other entry or exit points along the trail we could take advantage of by way of train? Maybe this is abstract, but I'm imagining a 40-60 mile hike to or from a train station we could use to get home. Thanks for any help
I don't get out much these days