PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

07-14-2010, 17:11
I have recently decided to tackle the AT, and have set a goal to do so in 2013. I have lots of newbie questions, that i'm hoping someone can help with:

1) not including the cost of maintaining life back at the ranch, how much should i budget for the total cost of the thru-hike, including gear, food, any required fees and/or spending money?

2) why does everyone seem to want to go south to north? I think id rather go north to south, leaving in June, and being home for thanksgiving. What am i missing?

3) what is the longest period of time i should expect to be without access to a place where i can get food or supplies?

4) Just in case i need it, is there cell service or wifi available along the trail? where can i find it?

5) How often can i expect to find, and where can i find, electricity to recharge battery operated devices?

6) Can you suggest a good place for me to take a 1 day, and/or a 1 week "sample hike" to get a feel for what i am in for? I want to be as prepared as possible.

7) what are some of the not so obvious challenges that an average joe with a dream like me needs to be prepared for?

thanks!

Lone Wolf
07-14-2010, 17:17
1. $6000
2. go SOBO. a lot more rewarding
3. 5-7 days
4. 50% of the time
5. every 3-5 days in towns at hostels/hotels/ laundromats, etc.
6. where are you now?
7. monotony

Luddite
07-14-2010, 17:21
I'm planning a thru-hike myself...

1)I think most people thru hike for 3,500 to 6,000 dollars.

2)Its the traditional way to thru hike the AT. You'll have more people to hike with and ending on the summit of Katahdin would be cooler.

3)I'm not sure but I think the 100 mile wilderness in Baxter state park is the longest stretch of trail with no roads.

4)I don't hike with a phone but a lot of people do so I think there are a few places to get service out there.

5)Once a week when you're in town at a hostel/motel you can charge your stuff. Or get one of those solar panel chargers.

6) If you live in GA I'd go do a springer to Neels Gap. I think that would give you a pretty good idea of the trail.

7) boredom, hunger

Luddite
07-14-2010, 17:22
*ending on the summit of Katahadin would be cooler IMO. Forgot to say that.

Lone Wolf
07-14-2010, 17:28
*ending on the summit of Katahadin would be cooler IMO. Forgot to say that.

cooler, foggy, rainy, snowy, miserable...

Mountain Wildman
07-14-2010, 17:30
I believe you are about an hour from Mountain Crossings, That would be a good place to go for gear, Winton Porter knows exactly what you need to complete a Thru-Hike.

Luddite
07-14-2010, 17:31
Yeah but those foggy pics are so awesome. It looks like some far away land, the mountains are all so different looking.

Spokes
07-14-2010, 17:59
I agree with Lone Wolf but think his cost estimate is a little on the high side.

The best article I found when planning last years thru is this 10 page guide found here (http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530). Check it out and good luck.

07-14-2010, 18:16
awesome advice! thanks so much for the quick replies.

Sierra Echo
07-14-2010, 18:45
Hey! You are right down the road from me!
Go hike from Springer Mt to Neels Gaps!

07-14-2010, 18:49
I think i will. That's 30 miles right? I was just looking at the map to figure out where to plan to sleep for the night.

Sierra Echo
07-14-2010, 18:53
I think i will. That's 30 miles right? I was just looking at the map to figure out where to plan to sleep for the night.

Yeppers!!!!

Jeff
07-14-2010, 18:59
2) why does everyone seem to want to go south to north? I think id rather go north to south, leaving in June, and being home for thanksgiving. What am i missing?

June in Maine can be a major challenge with rain, mud and bugs. Although Maine has these issues all summer long, June can be pretty bad. In 2009 especially, lots of SOBO's quit the trail because of a wetter than usual year. Reports are that 2010 was dryer ...but not typical.

TIDE-HSV
07-14-2010, 19:58
I have a friend who's done it both ways. He liked SOBO a bit better...

ssr41
07-14-2010, 23:08
For a week warmup hike you could hike the Foothills Trail in South Caroling about a 2 hour drive from you.

jesse
07-15-2010, 08:03
GA Mountains have almost limitless opportunities for backpacking. The Benton McKaye Trail, and The Cohutta Wilderness are great places to get away from crowds. There is no better way to "sample" the AT, than hiking the AT itself. You are less than 2 hours away from several AT trailheads in GA and NC.

Long time between now and 2013. I would enjoy as much backpacking as I could between until then.

Mango
07-17-2010, 19:06
Budgets vary widely: depends mainly on how much gear you have to buy; how many towns and motels and restaurants you visit; and flying at start or end or especially mid-hike.

Nobo is easier, especially mentally. You'll have more fellow hikers to meet for lifelong friendships (and some to avoid for a lifetime). Ending on Katahdin is so awesome it can't be adequately described in words - ignore Lone Wolf's pessimism. You'll also have more trail magic from trail angels.

If you're sobo, you'll hike and camp alone much more, especially in the fall and winter when the days get shorter and the weather gets colder. You may want this, or you may want company. Your choice.