PDA

View Full Version : Directionally challenged

Maria
07-14-2010, 17:14
Hello all,

My name is Maria and I am brand new to this site. First I want to say how much I appreciate the wealth of information that is available here, I have already learned so much...about how much I don't know :) but I'm trying to catch up.

I will be traveling to West Point, NY to visit my son on Aug 14/15 when he completes his cadet basic training. It will be the first time in 7 weeks I have seen him. Needless to say, I am so proud of him and what he has accomplished. In these first weeks of being at West Point, he is facing many physical and emotional challenges. In a show of solidarity, I thought I might take to the wilderness and challenge myself.

Instead of simply flying up to see him, I thought I might hike the trail for 8 days, ending at the Bear Mountain Bridge in New York on Friday, Aug. 13. I would classify myself a novice and this will be my first time on the trail. I have done some back country camping and hiking for 3 days at a time but never this long and never flying solo. I plan to be out for 8 days and cover around 56 miles. (that's 7 days of hiking at 8 miles per day with one day built in for goofing off)

My question for you all (ha, said as if I have only one) is which way to go? I feel inclined to start about 56 miles north of the bridge (wherever that might be) and head sobo based on what I have read of the sections, but there seem to be more shelters on the south side, so maybe I should go nobo? Does anyone have any thoughts/reasons why to choose one over the other? It's all new to me, I'm excited to be anywhere on the trail. Your time and input is greatly appreciated.

emerald
07-14-2010, 19:09
If it's all new to you, click on Hike the Trail (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4850441/k.EFAB/The_Trail.htm) to begin your crash course while you wait for others to post.

You shouldn't rely upon A.T. shelters because they may be filled to capacity when you arrrive. It is considered standard practice and wise to carry some form of personal shelter.

Appalachian Tater
07-14-2010, 19:22
Think about beginning at High Point in NJ and finishing at Bear Mountain Bridge or vice versa. That would give you memorable starting and ending points with a lot of great hiking and sights in between.

This may help: http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Migrating Bird
07-14-2010, 22:27
HI
Congrats to your son. My advice is to break things down into 3 catagories to start, food, clothing and shelter. As Emerald stated don't rely on shelters, but bring your own, it is more private and comfortable. Layout what you think you need, then separate the piles into gotta have and "what if's". Do this a couple of times and you will lighten the load and have more fun. example, a couple of band-aids instead of a first-aid kit. a couple of Ibuprofin instead of a whole bottle, you'll get the idea. 8 miles a day, if you are in any kind of shape at all, can be done in 6 hours with breaks - this allows for very slow up hills and down hills. If you start at 8 you will be done by 2 after all it is just walking. Hike in the rain, it is fun. Do not carry more food and water than you absolutely need, water weighs too much to lug around and is readily available if you plan accordingly. By going lighter you will have more energy to hike farther, faster, rest longer and will not be as sore. For example, I carried a pair of sunglasses for 400 miles never used them, had to have them - example of "what if" sent them home. Do a USPS bounce box - if it fits it ships, for phone chargers, re-supply etc, that way you can carry half the stuff you thought you needed and know it's only 3-4 days away. Hope this helps.

Erin
07-14-2010, 23:25
Congrats to your son for completing "beast"! Great advice above and on this sight and be sure and check the forums on solo female hiking and the female hiking forum. Just a suggestion, make sure you have a hotel reservation in Highland Falls if possible for your end of trip hot shower and place to stay. That town fills up fast. It is a beautiful area.

Feral Bill
07-14-2010, 23:43
Harriman State Park has a large network of trails and several shelters right there, bordering on West Point. You could do a meandering loop, including that section of the AT. This gives you lots of flexibility for your adventure.

I expect that I am one of many who started their backpacking careers hiking Harriman.

10-K
07-15-2010, 07:50
One thing to keep in mind is that hiking 56 miles north to Bear Mt Bridge is much more physically challenging that hiking 56 miles south to Bear Mt. Bridge.

The AT north (on the east side) of the Hudson is much easier than the AT south (on the west side) of the Hudson.

If you don't find a shelter there are plenty of places to pitch a tent or hang a hammock.

Tenderheart
07-15-2010, 12:02
One thing to keep in mind is that hiking 56 miles north to Bear Mt Bridge is much more physically challenging that hiking 56 miles south to Bear Mt. Bridge.

The AT north (on the east side) of the Hudson is much easier than the AT south (on the west side) of the Hudson.

If you don't find a shelter there are plenty of places to pitch a tent or hang a hammock.

That's good advice.

litefoot 2000

Old Grouse
07-15-2010, 15:17
You don't say how you'll be traveling to and from the trail. You could start from Bulls Bridge in CT if you can get a ride there. That would make for a pretty easy hike of about the distance you had in mind. If you need to rely on public trasportation you could take the train to Pawling NY and start there. That would be a shorter hike but as noted above, you could noodle around Harriman State Park at the end of your hike to make up the miles & time.