PDA

View Full Version : NEMO Meta 1P or other lightweight 1P tents

bramblingbird
07-14-2010, 18:52
Has anyone hiked with the NEMO Meta 1P tent? I've been looking at good light weight tents (or hammocks) for my 2011 thru hike. My current tent is 5.5 pounds, which is obviously far too heavy. I came across the NEMO Meta tent and really liked the weight of it and that it used a trekking pole for set up. I am also quite smitten with the Hennessy Hammock, MSR Hubba, Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1, and Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. I've read all sorts of great reviews on the later options, but haven't found much on the NEMO Meta 1P, though the 2P was given the editor's choice in Backpacker Magazine in 2010.

Would love your thoughts and incites!

Praha4
07-14-2010, 19:24
there are several good lightweight 3 season solo tents and tarptents that weigh around 2 lbs or slightly more.

checkout these:

Tarptent Moment
Tartptent Contrail
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo
Montbell Crescent-1
Lightheart Solo

there are others less than 3 lbs, and all discussed on White Blaze forums.... there is no reason to be carrying a 3 season solo tent over 3 lbs these days

bigcranky
07-15-2010, 19:38
I have been very impressed with my Tarptent Moment (http://www.tarptent.com/moment.html) for a roomy solo tent that is easy to set up and weighs less than 2 pounds.

Tinker
07-15-2010, 21:38
Chatter, on this website has one. PM him to see how he likes it. The one time I saw it he had it set up in Sasquatch's (2014) back yard. He set it up in the middle of the night and didn't get a taut pitch. He said he stayed dry though. I haven't seen him for a bit, so I don't know how much he's used it. Anyhow, give him a shout and drag him back to the site if you can.

bramblingbird
07-17-2010, 12:04
Tinker - thanks so much!

bigcranky - I briefly looked at various tarptents which seem like good options, too. Do they get a bit chilly on cold nights with the open ends allowing for air to move through?

bigcranky
07-17-2010, 18:45
bigcranky - I briefly looked at various tarptents which seem like good options, too. Do they get a bit chilly on cold nights with the open ends allowing for air to move through?

Yup. That's the downside to having all that ventilation -- it's great in warm weather, but cold in cold weather.

But everything depends on one's point of view -- I came to the Tarptents from using a flat tarp, even in the winter. So I'm used to being colder than hikers using tents. The Moment is warmer than a flat tarp, for me.

Army Ant
02-02-2013, 09:07
Has anyone hiked with the NEMO Meta 1P tent? I've been looking at good light weight tents (or hammocks) for my 2011 thru hike. My current tent is 5.5 pounds, which is obviously far too heavy. I came across the NEMO Meta tent and really liked the weight of it and that it used a trekking pole for set up. I am also quite smitten with the Hennessy Hammock, MSR Hubba, Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1, and Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. I've read all sorts of great reviews on the later options, but haven't found much on the NEMO Meta 1P, though the 2P was given the editor's choice in Backpacker Magazine in 2010.

Would love your thoughts and incites!

Bramblingbird

I was using at EMS Velocity 2 tent, but wanted to go lighter and still have a full floor and bug netting. I bought the NEMO META 1 tent and had it out during a cold rain storm, the interior space was fine 100 " long, I had 12" + extra space at my head and feet (I'm 6'2", 220 lbs). The ends do have to be staked out however to keep the tent fabric a comfortable distance from my face. The interior stayed dry, and the fabric did not sag once wet. Being single walled and it was very cold i did get some condesation on the inside but nothing extreme. The vestibule is much larger that I was used to, lots of room for pack, boots, etc. I am looking forward to using this on the AT in March.