PDA

View Full Version : Chimney Pond visit

weary
07-14-2010, 21:28
Here is a photo of Chimney Pond, which I visited for the first time in several years, over the weekend.

Weary

garlic08
07-14-2010, 21:54
I can't see the photo, Weary.

It's a nice place--I stopped there for a long break on my way down the Saddle Slide route after my thru, and contemplated the previous 2,180 miles.

emerald
07-14-2010, 22:14
I can see it, but I'd rather see others paint a picture for those who haven't been there with words.

Saint Alfonzo
07-15-2010, 12:19
Hello Weary, thank You for sharing the picture. You take care and good hiking..
MIKE..

naturewanderer
07-15-2010, 16:47
Weary,
When were you there? Sat or Sun.
I was there on Sat ....... and it was beautiful. Saw a Bull Moose when I arrived there at 1pm.

weary
07-15-2010, 18:18
Weary,
When were you there? Sat or Sun.
I was there on Sat ....... and it was beautiful. Saw a Bull Moose when I arrived there at 1pm.
I arrived at Chimney Pond about 5 pm Saturday. I heard about the bull moose, but I didn't manage to see it. Sunday I walked to the base of the
Saddle headwall, but didn't attempt to ascend.

My son and six year old grandson got to the top of the Saddle, but turned back about 3 tenths of a mile from the summit, when the grandson complained about his feet hurting. Later at camp he announced that he would try again "when I'm 10."

A nephew was the only member of our party of eight to make the top of Katahdin. We tended to be a party of dominated by pretty old hikers. Our ages ranged from six to 81.

One member, my wife, never got even as far as Chimney Pond. She gave up Saturday as dusk approached, found a resting spot, and returned to Roaring Brook the next morning. Her daughter stayed with her but once her mother was safe, she climbed to Chimney Pond.

I had told my wife she had zero chance of making it to Chimney, but she insisted on trying anyway. I was ahead and didn't know what was happening until the ranger told us that she had stopped and was spending the night.

It wasn't a particularly wise expedition. A few days earlier I had asked my cardiologist if I should make the attempt. His response, "go if you want, but I would tell most of my patients with your problems that it would be an act of idiocy."

But we all returned in good condition and no one regrets making the attempt.

All in all it was quite an eventual four days. I did get a nice photo of a young bull moose at Sandy Stream Pond.

Weary

Marta
07-15-2010, 19:18
Very nice photos. Thanks!

johnnybgood
07-15-2010, 21:09
Beautiful pics Weary. Looks like paradise .

naturewanderer
07-15-2010, 21:29
Weary,

Nice pic of the Moose.
I remember you guys on the way up - I was the one with a cast on my left arm. I passed your wife and daughter on my way back down - I applaud her effort and perseverance. I think that you were down at the other pond when i passed by.

MyName1sMud
08-17-2011, 12:14
That's awesome!

I must visit this place.

Slo-go'en
08-17-2011, 13:16
That's awesome!

I must visit this place.

If you want to spend the night, be sure to sign up as soon as they open up the reservations on Jan 1st. All the availabe spots go quick, since it is such an awesome place!

peakbagger
08-17-2011, 13:38
I plan to be up in that vicinity soon. No Chimney Pond reservations this year, but Roaring Brook, Russel Pond and Wassataquoik Lake island with a trip up to South Branch via Pogy Notch will have to do.

For those who havent been there do whatever you have to even if it means a trip to Millinocket in January for opening day. There really isnt anywhere close to baxter in the Northeast. For the AT hikers who just do an up and back from the west side via Hunt and Abol, they dont know what they are missing.

By the way only 20% of the slot at Chimney can be filled in January, so if you feel lucky you can try the regular reservations lottery

DLANOIE
08-17-2011, 22:28
I did the Jan.1 thing back in 2006 for my thru hike. I drove four and a half hours to get there in the middle of the night. Slept in my car until people started standing in line at like 3 AM! What an awesome experience and I got to ensure a spot at KSC. Man it was FREEZING that night! BBBRRRR!!!! I will be up there on Sunday August 28. Hiking the AT up and over the Knife Edge and down Helon Taylor with my father in law and uncle. Cant wait!

fiddlehead
08-18-2011, 01:07
That's awesome Weary.
I can only hope that I can do the same when I'm your age.
Keep on truckin my friend!

MyName1sMud
08-18-2011, 10:08
If you want to spend the night, be sure to sign up as soon as they open up the reservations on Jan 1st. All the availabe spots go quick, since it is such an awesome place!

Thanks for the tips!

weary
08-18-2011, 11:12
I understand the all night New Years vigil has been abandoned. Now reservations don't open until four months before your visit.

Here's what the park says:

Reservations for camping in the Park during the summer season can be made anytime within four (4) months of the date of the reservation. If you know the date of your desired reservation, you can view the earliest date you can book that reservation by viewing our rolling reservation chart.

Before you make a reservation visit the Park Reservation System to see what sites are available.

There are three ways to make a camping reservation in Baxter State Park:

Visit Park Headquarters and work directly with our reservation staff. Our Reservations Office is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; seven days per week between Memorial Day and Columbus Day and Monday through Friday from Columbus Day to Memorial Day.
When using the rolling reservation system, download a copy of our reservation form, complete the form and mail it in to Baxter State Park Reservations, 64 Balsam Drive, Millinocket, ME 04462 no sooner than 7 days prior to the start date of the reservation. Here is an example of a completed reservation form.
If you would like to camp in the Park within the next 14 days, you can make a reservation on-line through the Park Reservation System or you can call the Reservation Office at Park Headquarters (207)723-5140 (207)723-5140 and book a reservation over the phone with your credit card. On-line reservations are limited to one site reserved up to 7 days in the same campground.
A reminder – pets, oversize vehicles and motorcycles are not permitted in Baxter Park. See Rules 4.1, 5.1 and 5.5

When can I make a reservation?
The first working day in November is the first day for making Winter Reservations. Reservations must be received in our office at least 7 working days in advance of your trip
How do I make winter reservations?

Read all of the items recommended on the Winter Camping Page
Print and completely fill out reservation forms. Include as many options as possible.
Enclose appropriate payment (Fee Page).
If reserving by mail, enclose self-addressed, stamped, legal or business sized envelope.
At the appropriate time, mail or bring in person to Baxter State Park Headquarters (address on reservation form). The first working day in November is the first day for making Winter Reservations. Reservations must be received in our office at least 7 working days in advance of your trip.
If you wish to travel into the Park alone during the winter months, you must complete a Winter Solo Form

Baxter Park in the winter is a truly wild, beautiful, challenging and at times, unforgiving landscape. We provide lots of useful advice and recommendations in our Winter Visitor Policies and Procedures.

DLANOIE
08-18-2011, 12:45
I like their new reservation system. Has always worked well for me...

peakbagger
08-18-2011, 17:07
Last thing I knew they still have "opening day" in January. I was up there this January and the need to camp out for several nights is no longer (although some folks do). I think the number of reservations one person can make is 2 ten day continous trips. Once 20% of the allotted spaces in a campground are full then no further reservations can be made on that date. I was there mid morning and got my first choice and all the backcountry campground had plenty of space. The cabins and Kidney and Daicey Pond were at the 20% point for a couple of choice weekends but there were plenty of options for even those.

chelko
08-24-2011, 16:15
I have been hiking the southern end of the AT up through SNP with a bunch of guys for the last 16 years. Last year we decided we would go to BSP. We were able to get reservations at Roaring Brook and Chimney Pond for mid September no problem. We called Main Quest Adventures and arranged our shuttle with him from the Bangor Airport. He went to the park on the first available day to get our permits and purchased them for us in our names.

By the way Chimney Pond is the most beautiful campsite I think i have ever seen. As other posters have said try to get there befor you die it is well worth the trip.

peakbagger
08-25-2011, 07:48
If you like Chimney Pond, check out Davis Pond in the Northwest Basin. Similiar surroundings but only one lean to. When you make the reservations, you have reserved the entire basin.

vtrek
02-08-2013, 19:49
Can't wait to check the area out this summer. Thanks for getting this thread started weary