PDA

View Full Version : Looking for thoughts on hike route

sevensixtwo187
07-14-2010, 22:10
Going back to the Smokies over Labor Day. {Just there for 4 days in June ;)} Was going to do a simple loop with my son out of Cades Cove, up Russell Field and then to Mollies Ridge. Next day was going to roll over to Spence Field and the Thunderhead Mountain area. Stay at Spence Field. Return down the Anthony Creek Trail. But I really wanted to do a 3 nighter and a bit more mileage. So now I am looking at parking at the cove and getting a shuttle to Gregory Ridge trail. Stay one night at campsite 12 and then on to Mollies Ridge and the rest the next day. I am familiar with the other trails and areas but not Gregory Ridge or campsite 12. Would appreciate hearing about the Gregory Ridge trail and campsite 12 from anyone who is familiar with them. Also, shuttle service recommendations would be appreciated. I usually try to do loops...:D

Thank you in advance.

bulldog49
07-15-2010, 08:43
I've used A Walk in the Woods for several hikes in the Smokies. Always on time and reasonable rates.

http://www.awalkinthewoods.com/

sevensixtwo187
07-15-2010, 08:45
Bulldog ... thank you much. I have heard of them and was wondering about them in particular so I really appreciate hearing from you.

ken209
07-15-2010, 09:02
Park at the cades cove market, hitch a ride to trailhead you will have all day. At 12 go to back of campsite for flat ground. From there good trail to doe knob, stop at moore spring for water. Hope this helps.

sevensixtwo187
07-15-2010, 09:31
Ken .. Thank you very much. So 12 is decent?

bulldog49
07-15-2010, 09:47
My favorite campsite in that area is 13. It's right off Gregory Bald. Campsite 12 is near the Cove and is heavily used. If you can do the extra miles up to 13 it will be worth it. Magnificant view on Gregory Bald.

TIDE-HSV
07-15-2010, 19:14
BD is correct about both #12 and #13. If you're forced to use 12, it's sort of two-leveled, and the better sites are up in the back. You have to climb the ridge to get to #13, but itīs a much better, roomier site (and cooler). I second everyone on WIW. Very nice people...

kyhiker610
07-15-2010, 20:30
mollies ridge shelter is dumpy... wouldn't stay there if someone paid me to.

sevensixtwo187
07-15-2010, 20:54
mollies ridge shelter is dumpy... wouldn't stay there if someone paid me to.

Really? I had heard it was very nice. When was the last time you were there? What was wrong with it? Anybody else have thoughts on the Mollie's Ridge shelter?

Site 13 sounds very nice. But it is a bit further to the west from where we would be heading. But, maybe it would be worth it ...:-?

aaronthebugbuffet
07-15-2010, 21:04
Site 13 sounds very nice. But it is a bit further to the west from where we would be heading. But, maybe it would be worth it ...:-?
13 is heavily used.
I would definitely make time for a side trip to Gregory bald though. The view of the cove is nice.

sevensixtwo187
07-15-2010, 21:12
13 is heavily used.
I would definitely make time for a side trip to Gregory bald though. The view of the cove is nice.

So I have heard. I really am thinking of at least going to the bald itself.

Sierra Echo
07-15-2010, 21:18
When I was about 7 mt Granparents took me to Cades Cove. I remenber on the nap of attractions it mentioned a waterfall. I wanted to go see it so badly but we didnt. Is that waterfall as grand and glorious as I've built it up to be in my mind over the years?? :cool:

aaronthebugbuffet
07-15-2010, 21:31
When I was about 7 mt Granparents took me to Cades Cove. I remenber on the nap of attractions it mentioned a waterfall. I wanted to go see it so badly but we didnt. Is that waterfall as grand and glorious as I've built it up to be in my mind over the years?? :cool:
You should never see it. I'm sure it is much more fantastic in your imagination.

Sierra Echo
07-15-2010, 21:33
You should never see it. I'm sure it is much more fantastic in your imagination.

LOL!!! That is usually the case!

sevensixtwo187
07-15-2010, 21:51
LOL!!! That is usually the case!

Abrams Falls maybe?

Sharkey
07-15-2010, 21:53
Regarding the questions about Mollies Ridge Shelter, I stopped by there a few years ago on a section hike. I didn't stay the night, just ate lunch there. From what I recall, the shelter was in rough shape. The park was doing repairs/renovations on the shelters and taking the chain link fences down at some of the shelters. Again, this was a couple of years ago. They may have renovated Mollies Shelter by now.

Gray Blazer
07-15-2010, 21:55
Abrams Falls is pretty.

There is a 3 day loop on the other side of the park. You can park at Big Creek and take in Mt. Sterling and Mt. Cammerrer

sevensixtwo187
07-15-2010, 21:56
Regarding the questions about Mollies Ridge Shelter, I stopped by there a few years ago on a section hike. I didn't stay the night, just ate lunch there. From what I recall, the shelter was in rough shape. The park was doing repairs/renovations on the shelters and taking the chain link fences down at some of the shelters. Again, this was a couple of years ago. They may have renovated Mollies Shelter by now.

I sure hope so. If I hear enough that it is in poor shape then I suppose I will skip it and stay at Russell Field the second night.

Sierra Echo
07-15-2010, 21:56
Abrams Falls maybe?

I don't know. It seems like the brochure said you had to walk to a path to see it. My grandfather has been on crutches since I was like 4 so the short hike was out of the question. And of course, they wouldn't let me walk it by myself.

sevensixtwo187
07-16-2010, 12:55
Abrams Falls is pretty.

There is a 3 day loop on the other side of the park. You can park at Big Creek and take in Mt. Sterling and Mt. Cammerrer

That also sounds interesting. If not for this trip, then the next. Would you be kind enough to identify the trails involved on that loop? :D

TIDE-HSV
07-16-2010, 14:44
I haven't been to Mollies in quite a few years now, but all that I've been able to find says that it was renovated in 2003...

TIDE-HSV
07-16-2010, 14:47
That also sounds interesting. If not for this trip, then the next. Would you be kind enough to identify the trails involved on that loop? :D

Rather than give you a list, here's the link to the NPS trail map for the Smokys. If you have specific questions about specific trails, just ask:

Clicky (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP%20Backcountry%20Map.pdf)

sevensixtwo187
07-16-2010, 14:59
Rather than give you a list, here's the link to the NPS trail map for the Smokys. If you have specific questions about specific trails, just ask:

Clicky (http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP%20Backcountry%20Map.pdf)

Thank you very much. I have the "Trails Illustrated" maps and some others of the park that I use. I was just curious what trails in particular you were thinking of for making that loop. I will have a look at the maps and perhaps it is quite evident.

TIDE-HSV
07-16-2010, 15:10
Thank you very much. I have the "Trails Illustrated" maps and some others of the park that I use. I was just curious what trails in particular you were thinking of for making that loop. I will have a look at the maps and perhaps it is quite evident.

If you don't have the "brown book" (Hiking Trails of the Smokies), you should get it. It has a detailed description of each of the trails. There are several loops which can be put together starting at Big Creek. The trails are Big Creek, Swallow Fork, Baxter Creek, Low Gap and Gunter Fork, and, of course, the AT. There's a world of information in the brown book, easily enough for you to judge what's within your limits...

sevensixtwo187
07-16-2010, 15:37
If you don't have the "brown book" (Hiking Trails of the Smokies), you should get it. It has a detailed description of each of the trails. There are several loops which can be put together starting at Big Creek. The trails are Big Creek, Swallow Fork, Baxter Creek, Low Gap and Gunter Fork, and, of course, the AT. There's a world of information in the brown book, easily enough for you to judge what's within your limits...

Tide, I just aquired a copy of said book when I was last at the park in June. You are so correct about the quality of the "brown book". Thank you for the trail names. I will be looking at them on the map and in the book this evening.

TIDE-HSV
07-16-2010, 16:35
I left one out. The Mt. Sterling Gap trail is the "easy" way up to Sterling. It's not safe to leave cars there, so a shuttle is the best answer. I've been shuttled there twice to start hikes...

Sharkey
07-16-2010, 16:42
Sevensixtwo187,
Don't let my earlier post discourage you from staying at Mollies. It was in rough shape while I was there but after I thought about it for awhile, some of it was trash left by other hikers. Structurally it wasn't the best shelter I ever visited but can't say it was the worst either.

sevensixtwo187
07-16-2010, 16:55
Sevensixtwo187,
Don't let my earlier post discourage you from staying at Mollies. It was in rough shape while I was there but after I thought about it for awhile, some of it was trash left by other hikers. Structurally it wasn't the best shelter I ever visited but can't say it was the worst either.

Oh, it won't. I know how conditions can change. Besides, I really appreciate that all of you take the time to provide such valuable information. I like to do the same for the shelters and trails I have been to. I was really trying to decide if it would be worth it to come up Gregory Ridge trail versus coming up Russell Field trail to make the loop I described. Either way I was going to try and stay at Mollies Ridge.

TIDE-HSV
07-17-2010, 23:36
Sevensixtwo187,

Have you stayed at it since it was renovated? If so, was it solely the leftover trash?

ken209
07-18-2010, 09:58
Ken .. Thank you very much. So 12 is decent?
The reason I suggested #12 that gives you all day to get from your car to the trailhead then about a 2 mile hike to campsite, stayed there last june, with two other hikers. Next night @ #13, was over crowded, if it were me i would skip #13 & go on to mollies ridge shelter. Then #10 for third night.

Sharkey
07-18-2010, 11:04
Have you stayed at it since it was renovated? If so, was it solely the leftover trash?

That trip was the only time I visited Mollies. It didn't look renovated. The chainlink fence was still up. I read where GSMNP was taking down the chainlink fences. On both my visits to GSMNP (Fall '08, Winter '09), several shelters already had them down. It wasn't only the trash that made the shelter look bad. All the GSMNP shelters I've stayed at were better then Mollies. Don't get me wrong, if I needed to have stayed at Mollies, I would have. The setup around the shelter was nice.

sevensixtwo187
07-18-2010, 21:58
The reason I suggested #12 that gives you all day to get from your car to the trailhead then about a 2 mile hike to campsite, stayed there last june, with two other hikers. Next night @ #13, was over crowded, if it were me i would skip #13 & go on to mollies ridge shelter. Then #10 for third night.

That is most likely what I will be doing. Except I will spend night 3 at Spence. That was my original idea but I really enjoy hearing what others familiar with an area have to say. Actually I have had several good ideas presented to me here and it has made deciding even more difficult. I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to share their thoughts.

TIDE-HSV
07-19-2010, 00:00

That trip was the only time I visited Mollies. It didn't look renovated. The chainlink fence was still up. I read where GSMNP was taking down the chainlink fences. On both my visits to GSMNP (Fall '08, Winter '09), several shelters already had them down. It wasn't only the trash that made the shelter look bad. All the GSMNP shelters I've stayed at were better then Mollies. Don't get me wrong, if I needed to have stayed at Mollies, I would have. The setup around the shelter was nice.

Wow! As I said, I haven't been to Mollies in years, but the NPS records indicate it's been renovated for years. In fact, I thought that, last year, the only two left were Mt. Collins and Laurel Gap. I can vouch for Laurel's not being renovated, because I stayed there last year. I'll add this about #13. I stayed there for two nights last year, in order to be next to Gregory Bald and the flame azaleas. It was not crowded, but it was not a weekend. It's been my experience that all the popular sites and shelters are crowded on weekends. When I can, I try to plan my trips in the GSMNP so that I hit out of the way sites on the weekends and the popular ones during the week. They are generally only crowded on the weekends, except for the AT shelters early in the spring when the thru-hikers are coming through...

TIDE-HSV
07-19-2010, 00:17
Here's a pic of Mollies from 2005. Although not as fancy as some of the renovated shelters, there's no bear fence:

http://okcavers.netfirms.com/bob/final/AT%20Trip_files/image013.jpg

ken209
07-19-2010, 10:51
That is most likely what I will be doing. Except I will spend night 3 at Spence. That was my original idea but I really enjoy hearing what others familiar with an area have to say. Actually I have had several good ideas presented to me here and it has made deciding even more difficult. I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to share their thoughts.
Sounds good, do take a side trip up to the bald, and to moore spring.
Enjoy.

sevensixtwo187
07-19-2010, 11:03
Ken209,

Thank you again. I have heard about that spring. Is it difficult to find?

Sharkey
07-20-2010, 11:57
Tide,
You are correct. I had mistaken the fence at Russel Field for Mollies Ridge. I ate lunch at Mollies and it was dirty (trash left over). But he fence I was thinking of was at Russel Field. My mistake and my apologies to Mollie.

Hikes in Rain
07-20-2010, 12:01
Ken209,

Thank you again. I have heard about that spring. Is it difficult to find?

Not terribly. In fact, if you search the forum, I think someone's posted the lat/long (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62927). Click to check!