PDA

View Full Version : washing pack

Chicken Feathers
07-15-2010, 09:07
Has anyone washed their pack in a front loading washing machine? With all the straps that can be removed, removed. :-?

garlic08
07-15-2010, 09:10
Yes, I have, pretty often. My wife makes me because it really stinks otherwise. My pack is a frameless silnylon Gossamer Gear pack.

Spokes
07-15-2010, 09:47
I just soak mine in the tub for an hour using no scent OxyClean then give it a good rinse. Looks like new every time!

Tenderheart
07-15-2010, 11:55
Yessiree! I have several times. Mine is an Arc'teryx Khamsin 50 SL, and I simply remove the pack board(frame) and throw it in. I leave all the straps attached, as they need cleaning also. It comes out looking and smelling new.

litefoot 2000

max patch
07-15-2010, 12:59
Blast it at a car wash.

Pedaling Fool
07-15-2010, 13:09
I just use a garden hose and wash it down with maybe a little soap on the backpadding, hipbelt and shoulder harnesses. Doesn't take much to get the stink out.

I can't see the point in wasting energy in starting the washing machine for a backpack.

TheCheek
07-15-2010, 23:00
Agreed. A washing machine will put a lot of unneeded wear on it too. Just stick it in a hotel bathtub, stinky side down, and let it soak in a couple gallons of household ammonia with some added water over night. It will fizzle all the dirt and stinks off. This can easily be done mid thru hike or at home. Just remember to run the bathroom fan. Rinse out in the morning with a fresh set of clean water, then dry during a zero day. You will feel human again after this treatment. It literally takes at least a month of hot weather hiking to get back to the same level of stench again.

Chicken Feathers
07-23-2010, 11:36
Agreed. A washing machine will put a lot of unneeded wear on it too. Just stick it in a hotel bathtub, stinky side down, and let it soak in a couple gallons of household ammonia with some added water over night. It will fizzle all the dirt and stinks off. This can easily be done mid thru hike or at home. Just remember to run the bathroom fan. Rinse out in the morning with a fresh set of clean water, then dry during a zero day. You will feel human again after this treatment. It literally takes at least a month of hot weather hiking to get back to the same level of stench again. Hope you do not die doing this.:-?

Chicken Feathers
07-23-2010, 11:38
talked to rep at ospery and they said washing machine is not good idea :banana

Nean
07-23-2010, 13:54
I'd never wash my pack in a machine. I do wash my pack several times in a tub on a thru. Lots of hip belt and shoulder strap rashes people get are from dirty packs. The salt and dirt build up and its like sandpaper rubbing on you.

It always amazes me how black the water turns. I recommend 2-3 good rinses after the wash.

wrongway_08
07-23-2010, 15:20
I use to toss it in the washer but after a few washing - the packs started to fall apart.

Now I just soak them in the tub and rinse them. Then hang them to dry. No more problems and the results are the same.

Appalachian Tater
07-23-2010, 17:55
You don't need ammonia. A little laundry detergent will do just fine.

TheCheek
07-24-2010, 00:27
Ammonia: The only way. I've never died with this method therefore I vouch for it.

TinaLouise
07-24-2010, 06:57
If you've got ammonia, it will work just fine. Just don't mix any bleach into the water. That's when the chemical reation goes haywire.

Appalachian Tater
07-24-2010, 08:06
Ammonia fumes are highly toxic. Filling a hotel room bathtub with a couple of gallons of ammonia and then leaving it overnight could cause severe respiratory problems. Ammonia is also extremely toxic to fish. It doesn't clean packs any better than laundry detergent and warm water, which is relatively safe, cheaper, and more readily available.

Nean
07-25-2010, 06:28
Ammonia: The only way. I've never died with this method therefore I vouch for it.

SLOWLY put down the bottle and step away.:eek:

I'll write you in rehab bro.:o