PDA

View Full Version : Need Tristate help (OH,IN,KY)

AHolcomb
07-15-2010, 10:20
Where would be a decent 2 day hike option near the Cincinnati area? Not including Red River Gorge.

Original_Jetson
07-15-2010, 12:03
I highly recommend Zaleski State Forest about 2.5 hrs E. of Cincy. Did my 1st multi-day solo trip there in May (actually my 1st backpacking trip ever). Well marked trails, good campsites (with water) and variety of ohio terrain. I hiked the middle loop clockwise up to campsite H for night 1 (didn't see another person the entire hike up and had the entire camp to myself (this was a thursday). If time (and legs) permit, you can setup camp, leave extra gear then do the north loop. Hiked down to camp D for the 2nd night (more people there, but plenty of sites). Be happy to provide more info if you're interested.

bdpalace
07-15-2010, 13:38
Northern Terminus of the Sheltowee Trace near Morehead, KY or Cave Run Lake area.

Tabasco
07-15-2010, 21:47
Drive over to Louisville head north a couple miles and hit the Knobstone trail

traildust
07-16-2010, 08:40
Of course I recommend the Sheltowee but also think the Shawnee Forest over near Portsmouth Ohio is a great place. They have a loop trail there that is excellent 2 - day hike.

IceAge
07-16-2010, 11:05
Drive over to Louisville head north a couple miles and hit the Knobstone trail

Or the Tecumseh Trail in the same neighborhood.

Haven't hiked the Knobstone, but I've heard from others that there are more water sources on the Tecumseh.

John B
07-16-2010, 12:35
The Big South Fork is a great place to hike. Very few people, lots of water, lots of places to camp. Check out their website:
http://bigsouthforkpark.com/

sevensixtwo187
07-16-2010, 14:37
Another well kept secret, at least for hiking, in Kentucky is Mammoth Cave National Park. Most folks go there for the caves but there are miles of well maintained trails above. There is some very interesting terrain / geology to be seen. The Green River is beautiful and one of the most bio-divers rivers in the world. Sal Hollow trail and 2nd Creek are two that I would highly recommend. Last time we were there we only ran into one other couple the whole time. About the only drawback is that some of the trails are also open for horse use. Other than that, very nice place.

Check it out: http://www.nps.gov/maca/index.htm