PDA

View Full Version : NOBO in August

AJarndyce
07-15-2010, 12:15
I'm thinking about doing a NOBO version of the Long Trail in August (I know, that is soon:) and was wondering if there was anyone else planning to go about the same time who is seeking a hiking partner or who might at least like to start out together. I'm not a speed hiker but keep a steady pace and have pretty good endurance. My only time constraint is to be done by the start of September.

I'd also appreciate hearing folks' thoughts on how warm a sleeping bag is necessary. The only one I have is for low temperatures and I'm wondering if it will be overkill for August in Vermont. Thanks!

Quoddy
07-15-2010, 19:15
A full zip bag around 40 degree rated would be ideal. Full zip mainly for the south when you'll need to vent... a lot. As far as hooking up... I know of a few E-2-Er's going at about the same time, but I can't speak for them. It's usually not a problem finding someone on already the trail to join. Group members tend to join and fragment at random intervals anyway.

pedxing
07-21-2010, 15:55
AJ - I'm heading out and going in the opposite direction at the end of this month so I'll likely run into you. I live just on the Cambridge side of the border (just a few minutes walk from Redbones). If the timing was a little different, I'd suggest thinking about a car swap. I'm not sure how safe a car at Journey's End would be for weeks on end, either.

BTW have you checked out longtrailhiking.info - its a quiet board so far - but packed with LT info.

pedxing
07-21-2010, 16:18
Two more things. I agree with Qoddy on the bags - 40 should be fine. I use a WM Caribou which is a 35 degree bag. In more than 40 nights on the LT in July and August I fully zipped it once. I also use a liner, but more for preserving my bag or instead of my bag. A hat will help on the colder nights.

Also, scroll down the LT page to PRaha4s post - you may be able to help each other out.

Praha4
07-21-2010, 17:48
hey AJarndyce,

I'm doing E2E northbound on the Long trail, planning start around Aug 18th timeframe from North Adams, MA area. Don't know if that's too late for you, I may move up the start date a little. One other hiker has contacted me so far saying he's up to go that time also.

if we don't see you, have a great hike!

AJarndyce
07-25-2010, 01:02
Thanks for the replies. This was my first time using whiteblaze and I'm impressed with all the good info and friendly people. I'm going to have to postpone my hike due to a cranky knee, but I'm still hopeful I'll get to the trail sometime in August so might meet some of you along the way. Enjoy!

wvgrinder
07-25-2010, 22:32
Thanks for the replies. This was my first time using whiteblaze and I'm impressed with all the good info and friendly people. I'm going to have to postpone my hike due to a cranky knee, but I'm still hopeful I'll get to the trail sometime in August so might meet some of you along the way. Enjoy!

Hopefully, we'll see ya out there. I'm starting a nobo e2e on Aug. 9th. :D