PDA

View Full Version : NY Section Ten - Bear Mtn to Arden Valley Rd

insideragp
11-11-2004, 11:18
My question is regarding parking midway at the Palisades Parkway. Is it possible to leave a car at the crossing here?

Thanks,

AG

MOWGLI
11-11-2004, 12:16
My question is regarding parking midway at the Palisades Parkway. Is it possible to leave a car at the crossing here?

Thanks,

AG

No, you can't leave a car long term on the PIP (by the bookstore) but there is a large parking lot at the both ends of your hike by Lake Tiorati & Bear Mtn. There are also payphones at both ends of your hike and at the bookstore in the middle of the PIP. If you are starting your hike near Rte 17, there is parking in a place called the Elk Pen, but there is no law enforcement presence there. There is a pay phone at the entrance to Harrimam State Park right by Rte 17.

You might be able to park long term in the Anthony Wayne parking lot, but that seems like a silly place to park if you are going from Arden Valley Road to Bear Mtn. Thats about 1 mile from where the trail crosses the parkway. You'd need to check with the folks at Harriman State Park or the Palisades Interstate Park Police.

Hope that helps.

Kerosene
11-11-2004, 12:20
No, there did not appear to be any place to leave a car there. However, there is a huge parking lot just down the road at the recreation area that should be on the map.

insideragp
11-11-2004, 12:45
Here is an alternate idea and more info. We're hiking car to car. Plan on starting/or ending at the Hudson. Could go from Seven Lakes Road and take the side trail Menomine Trail up to the Brien Shelter and head north to the Hudson and Bear Mtn Bridge.

Then the next day, we could start again at Seven Lakes Road, come up the Menomine Trail and head SOBO to Route 17.

It's myself, my wife, her sister and her cousin who's flying up from Florida for a couple days. These girls are strictly Day's Inn type campers. My goal is to cover a reasonable amount of mileage each day.

We are driving up from Bethlehem PA.

Could also do sections 11 and 12. More opportunities to park at trail crossings and not need a side trail. Wouldn't be leaving the car overnight, just about 6 hours. We try to keep about a 2 mile/hour pace when section hiking.

Thanks!!

AG

MOWGLI
11-11-2004, 12:47
No, there did not appear to be any place to leave a car there. However, there is a huge parking lot just down the road at the recreation area that should be on the map.

Thats Anthony Wayne.

Kerosene
11-11-2004, 20:52
My brother and I did a series of day hikes, walking car to car, through this section in early June 2002 (lovely time of year, by the way). We did the 25 miles to the north of the Bear Mountain Bridge in two days, and then did the 19 miles SOBO from the Bridge over the next day and a half.

We climbed Bear Mountain on a muggy morning to a fogged in summit, a pretty grueling climb from the north. Seven Lakes Road might work as a midway point, and you could park at Silver Mine Lake if you can't park any closer to the trailhead.

The route southern section is pretty easy. The northern section is a lot tougher with good climbs of Bear and Black Mountains.

Askus3
11-25-2004, 23:18
From north of Pawling on NY 22 thru to High Point in New Jersey, this is how I divided the AT and why.

1. I wanted to do a complete traverse of Fahnestock State Park in one day. That left 21.7 miles from NY 22 to the north end of Fahnestock at Long Hill Road. So ibroke up the 21.7 miles into two hikes. That made the obvious breakpoint, the crossing of INT 84 on Stormville Mountain Road. so the first 3 sections southbound were:

A) NY 22 to Stormville Mountain Road. 12.9 miles.
B) Stormville Mountain Road to Long Hill Road. 8.8 miles.
C) Long hill Road to Dennytown Road. 8.3 miles. (Fahnestock traverse)

2. Next, Due to parking fees required on weekends at Bear Mtn. Lot and my desire not to break up the Hudson River crossing, I wanted to include both sides of the river in one day hike. So the breakdown from Dennytown to Lake Tiorati was broken up as such:

A) Dennytown Road to US 9-Garrison. 9.0 miles.
B) US 9-Garrison to Seven Lakes Drive beyond Bear Mountain. (including
spur to Anthony's Nose-a must) 11.5 miles.
C) Seven Lakes Drive preceding ascent of West Mountain to Lake Tiorati.
10.7 miles. Note there is a small parking lot on a .1 mile spur off the AT
on Seven Lakes Drive.

3. In the next area, which is in my backyard (relatively speaking), I wanted to include Surprise Lake & Bearfort Mountain into my AT traverse, so I added a couple of spurs to the hiking mileage and came up with this breakdown:

A) Lake Tiorati to Lakes Road (north of Greenwood Lake). 12.7 miles.
B) Lakes Road to NY 210 at the NY/NJ State Line. Use yellow Ernest Walter
Trail & blue marked State Line Trail to get to the state line on Route 210.
12.2 miles. (10.1 AT miles) The finish on this east approach provides
spectacular views from Bearfort Mountain and on a hot day a great place
to take a swim (Surprise Lake). Lastly, makes a simple car shuttle and a
nice breakpoint. Also, when you cross NY 17A at 3.9 miles stop for ice
cream at the stand just west along the highway.
C) NY 210 at the NY/NJ State Line to NY 94. 11.1 miles.
Approach from the east directly using the State Line Trail and repeat .3
mile of the AT from previous segment.
D) NY 94 to NJ/NY 284 (near Unionville). 11 miles. Distance changed
(reduced) due to new routing.
E) Route 284 (near Unionville, NY) to NJ 23 (south of High Point). A must to
include the spur to the High Point monument. (10 miles approx.) route
being revised.

If you are in the area, especially anywhere between Bear Mt. Bridge & Route 284 in Unionville. Drop me an e-mail and I'll try and give you a car shuttle or some other trail angel assistance.

Kerosene
11-26-2004, 12:53
E) Route 284 (near Unionville, NY) to NJ 23 (south of High Point). A must to include the spur to the High Point monument. (10 miles approx.) route being revised.As of the summer of 2004, the High Point Monument had been closed to the public for several years due to the lack of state maintenance funds, and there was no stated date for reopening. I took the side trail to the Monument at the start of a 2-nighter, hoping to re-create a self-portrait of myself at the Monument near the end of my first AT hike in 1973. You can walk to the parking lot but you can't get near the monument itself. I wasn't convinced that it was worth the time.

Askus3
11-26-2004, 23:50
Well, at least you could say you were at the highest point in New Jersey and who knows if someday you might want to collect state highpoints and at least you got New Jersey checked off and don't have to go back.

Kerosene
11-27-2004, 12:01
Well, at least you could say you were at the highest point in New Jersey and who knows if someday you might want to collect state highpoints and at least you got New Jersey checked off and don't have to go back.Fences keep you a good 50 vertical feet and 200 "longitudinal" feet from the monument, so you can't even claim a state high point (at least without breaking the law by scaling the fence).